Teaching Sneeze

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I would like to teach my dog to sneeze. I have only had one problem with this trick. In the last several months I have only heard my dog sneeze once.

I doubt that there are other great ways to teach this trick, but I figured I would post this thread anyway just in case.

Kristalghost

Experienced Member
maybe you can try to make your dog sneeze with pepper or something like it.
Although its probably advisable not to use to much pepper as dogs noses are sensitive.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I would think some kind of powder, maybe baby powder or pepper. But I agree with Kristalghost that it should be used very sparingly maybe only once or twice a day. ;)

reveuse

I've heard that blowing lightly at their nose can also help make a sneeze............ ALSO if you have some sort of spray dog shampoo/deoderizer type thing that might make them sneeze as well ....... (Any time i spray that Pet Head sugar cookie spray mine auto sneezes)........ and while i dont recommend it at all mine also sneezes whenever I accidentaly spill my wine and he decides to sample it before i can get a "leave it" in.

agilitycrested

A friend taught her crested to sneeze by accident. She sprayed her feet with some kind of foot spray which made him sneeze over and over. Luckily I had taught her well and she had a clicker. It took ONE session of 10 click/treats and he now sneezes on command. Smart smart dog! I still regret selling him!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
A friend taught her crested to sneeze by accident. She sprayed her feet with some kind of foot spray which made him sneeze over and over. Luckily I had taught her well and she had a clicker. It took ONE session of 10 click/treats and he now sneezes on command. Smart smart dog! I still regret selling him!
Neat. Do you mean that spray that deodorize shoes or the ones that weatherize the shoe? It'd be a nice trick to teach my dog, although I don't want to hurt her with breathing in chemicals...

Kristalghost

Experienced Member
all products that you use on your dog should be made specifically to not harm your dog although it is of course always advisable to read the labels first

agilitycrested

I think it was athletes foot spray. I'm not recommending this, just relaying her experience. I don't know how safe it is for them.

sara

Staff member
I certainly dont have issues with my dogs not sneezing... I think they sneeze as much as I do, and I'm allergic to dogs! LOL