Teach Your Dog To "clean Up"

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOVED IT!! GREAT VIDEO!!
I'd join in, but i've already taught that one. I took toys my dog already likes holding in his mouth,
and sat facing him,
with toybox in between of us.

I gave him toy, which he readily took as i started with his favorite toys,
and gave "drop it" or held a treat/which caused him to drop it, and of course, it fell into toybox, which had been set up to be right below his chin anyway.

Then i moved toybox a bit to side,
and began to hold toy lower/not right in front of his face. He got this trick right away, i'd always thought this would be hard, but, it's not hard at all!!:D

Then i began to have toy on floor/not in my hand, ....with my hand just next to toy,
and toybox further away.

Then i faded out my presence by either item.

MY DOG LOVE LOVES LOVES THIS TRICK...............can do this for hours...and hours...and hours...

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
THANK you so much for making this video. I have tried teaching Carmel this for ever!!
I will try with the technique in the video. Hopefully this trick will be easier than fetching and holding a toy ( so hard to teach her thous tricks).

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
this trick was super easy for my dog, like i said above------beginning with toys he already liked in his mouth, with toybox between us, positioned right under his face to start, so it fell into box.

took a day or so, til he "got it".

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOVED IT! NICE WORK!!
I haven't tried this with laundry yet, but what a great idea.

I hit one funny quirk, with *my* extremely quirky dog, is,
when i used his toybox, he would not get one toy out of that box, the entire rest of day, after we'd played "pick up".
My dog LOVES his toys, but, he stopped playing with toys if he'd been rewarded for putting them in his toybox.:rolleyes:

sad.

So then, i took one of Buddy's own laundry baskets,
and did same trick, with Buddy putting toys into HIS OWN laundry baskets,
and then, after trick was over, Buddy still would play with his own toys.:D

NOw i only do the trick with his own laundry baskets, of which he owns several, which are "his" to play with.
(his toybox is wicker, and he is not allowed to play with the toybox itself).

kinda odd, though, eh? how my dog somehow extrapolated being rewarded for putting his toybox, to somehow believing he can not take out any toy from his toybox?? :ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
I can't get Shivon to pick up the toy!! She just stares at the treats!:( If I don't have treats, she won't do it!! It's frustrating! What can I do??

Anneke

Honored Member
Try 'helping' her, by handing the toy to her. Moving the toy around on the floor might get her to go for it. Reward that, before going any further. And try to hide your treats;)

Dogster

Honored Member
That doesn't work. I tried all of that and she ignores me and tries to sniff out the treats.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Hmm, my dog loved this game. I started by using a toy he often carries around in his mouth.
I sat down,
put the toybox in between of him and me, as we faced each other.
I handed him his favorite toy,
he took it in his mouth.

I waited....sooner or later, Buddy dropped the toy, it landed in the toybox RIGHT UNDER HIS FACE, and CLICK/TREAT as toy fell into toybox.

Overtime, i used other toys. Overtime, i moved toybox to the side a bit, so he'd have to turn his head to drop toy in. and so on.

Maybe try it just like that, using his favorite toy. Just hand it to him, and wait a bit, or if he knows "drop it" tell him to drop it, and CLICK/TREAT when toy falls into the box.

my dog can not see the treats, either. and, he ws sitting on other side of toybox, facing me.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dogster, your dog might benefit from some of these self control exercises, like these:
There are videos showing how to teach a dog, he gets no treat for focusing ON THE TREAT itself....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Anneke's advice, about shaking toy around on floor is great idea, too, to help you get your dog to take an item into his mouth.
I saw a great vid demonstrating just that, can't find it...

Here is Kikopup doing a similar thing, trying to get her dog to hold a flag, the idea is sort of similar, getting a dog to put an item in his mouth:

Dogster

Honored Member
I posted a thread on socks as toys. I wrote the thread for people having trouble with clean up. If anyone does, use a sock or a homemade toy and write about how it turned out!!!:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
GREAT WORK TIF!! YAY!!!
Oh, Dilly, i know JUST what you mean,:ROFLMAO: Buddy does same thing now and then, i just instruct him to put it back in, and he gets no treat for "repeat" additions!!!:ROFLMAO:

Oddly, if i "CLICK/TREAT" Buddy to put his toys into his "real" toybox, he will not touch those toys the rest of the day:( ....somehow, Buddy added in his "own" understanding, that toys he puts into toybox must stay in the toybox the entire rest of the day....

so then i taught him to put his toys away into his laundry basket instead, so he WILL feel free to play toys later.:D
......... My dog is so so quirky.:rolleyes: