Susan Garrett Recallers

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Recallers 5.0 is going to be starting soon (well, I don't know exactly the date, but Susan sent out an email saying it would be soon). I've heard some really good thing about the Recallers course, but for the price I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Has anyone done the course, and if so can you share your experience with it and tell whether or not you recommend it?

running_dog

Honored Member
Brodysmum started the course but had computer problems and had to drop out. She said it was very good (can't remember her exact words but she was enthusiastic).

I haven't done the course but if ever I am in a position to financially I will, I've gleaned an awful lot of really useful information from the Recallers videos and found a great deal that confirms ideas that it has taken me years to figure out. I used to doubt whether it was worth it but don't anymore.

charmedwolf

Staff member
I've done the course as has Jean. I don't think Brodysmom ever got to finish. 2SpoiledAussies and Anneke have gone through it too. I do have all the info saved on my computer (running_dog, it's saved in the same folder as training levels lol) so I can go through it by myself.

I liked it but the biggest problem I had is that my dogs aren't... well they're a little on the slow side when it comes to learning. Everyday you had something new to train for 5 days then had the weekends off to re-go over everything. It was just too much too soon for them. 1 day isn't enough to breach through their minds so I was playing catch up every weekend it seems. I literally stopped for a week to work on Kratos' tugging as one of the games really depends on it.

I know people that have gone through all on the previous Recallers and seem to love it more and more each time but for me it's too expensive to do on a continuous basis. I did the cheapest one and that was more than enough for me. You can also find a lot of the games of youtube if you like.

ellieh

I like a lot of Susan's work, i recommend lots of my owners watch her videos, i haven't done any of her recallers courses but i bet they are quite fantastic for the collie people of the world :)

ellieh

Well no others too, but i find most people are just happy with sit, down, wait etc the boring stuff :D Unless they come to my Advanced Classes and are interested in further training then the S.G. card comes out :p

running_dog

Honored Member
Well no others too, but i find most people are just happy with sit, down, wait etc the boring stuff :D Unless they come to my Advanced Classes and are interested in further training then the S.G. card comes out :p
I see... not a reflection on what type of dog the training is suitable for but a reflection on the type of dog that people who are interested in training tend to have.

ellieh

Yes I find even if someone has the right dog for a training method, if the person isn't interested then I would just be setting them up to fail, I find that the people who want to do more and go further, do!

Then there are the people who want a dog just to throw a ball for so the basics keeps them happy :D

charmedwolf

Staff member
Ellieh, it's funny because where I was assisting we called those owners Bird Dogs lol. Didn't have any Collies in our classes but lots of Brittanys, Pointers or Setters. They were the ones that would always go further in training! You can always tell the type of owners as soon as they walk in that's for sure.

Anneke

Honored Member
I have done recallers 1. From what I hear each recallers has been better than the previous one. And you do get a lot of support from live videocalls and the membersforum.
I have not done the crategames, but the it's your choice is a great game, that i used a lot when Jinx was a puppy. Must say that her recall is horrible these days, but that is due to lack of training. I have been managing her problems, not working on them:oops:
I would love to do recallers 5, but it's the price that holds me back. Can't afford it right now.
Have you seen the video's she has up right now, about the it's your choice game?
For those of you that haven't, go and see them.
http://www.brilliantrecalls.com/fe/68766-video-3-the-power-of-choice