Sock- Best Toy Ever!!!!

Dogster

Honored Member
Today I gave my dog a sock. A regular sock. Not an expensive toy, just...a...sock. AND I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!! She LOVES it!!!:LOL: So I have a challenge for all of you. Try giving your dog a sock, then write what happend-your dog's reaction. Feel free to post pictures!!! GOOD LUCK!!!;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh i bet it is cute!!
but, it will be hard for the dog to tell which socks are for him,
and which ones you have just set out to wear today. The famous "dogs wants socks" thing! Glad YOU are enjoying it, Dogster!! Some ppl complain about this.

My daughter's BF's dog has a sock thing, and she must always carry extra pair of socks in case she takes off her socks, she knows, the BFs dog WILL make her socks disappear..she's lost several pairs of socks over there. Forget about laying out your socks and boots to dry after being out in the snow...
We have another pal, who has to hide his laundry basket in a shut closet, or else the dog chews up all his socks, if the door is left open even a smidge.
Dog would even knock over and open up the standing lid-top laundry baskets, to paw through the laundry to find more socks.

After a few days or weeks or a few dozen pairs of socks later.......... this *might* not be quite as charming as it is right now.:ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
My dog has always taken our socks. But she always takes them when we see her. She loves to play chase, and if she takes something that's mine, she knows she'll get a better reaction from us. But I'm not as worried about it now because my dog can't go upstairs or down to the basement. We have a baby gate to block her and the door to the basement is always shut!!!:D If you're wondering why, it's not so much my dog as it is my CAT. Her "KINGDOM" has already lost the main floor of the house because that's where the dog lives. So now, she eats and uses her litterbox in the basement, and sleeps upstairs. My cat is still THE RULER OF THE HOUSE!!!:LOL:

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Ah good idea for some dogs but we had a sock instant with Zara where she ate one, had to take her to the vets. Thankfully it passed through easily enough and it turned out she ate two.

Its bin 10 years but i think i used a knotted pair of tights for Jenny to play with when she was a puppy. We tide them somewhere so she could play tug if she wanted.

Dogster

Honored Member
WOW!! TWO SOCKS!! A NEW DOGGIE RECORD!!!:LOL: My dog swallowed a finger puppet when she was two months old. My dad had to take her to emergency to induce vomiting. The vet later asked if he wanted it back. EWW!!!!:sick:

Anneke

Honored Member
I used old socks with my old dog, Shane. I would put a tennisball in it and then a knot in the end. He would get really busy trying to get the ball out!! This was over ten years ago, before I ever heard of kong toys.
Never used socks with Cooper and Jinx, as they both stole clothes when they were puppies. (mostly underwear:sick:) So clothes are off limits for them;)

Dogster

Honored Member
Great use of socks!! Shivon loves to run around the house with the sock in her mouth. It definately helped her learn "clean up", though.:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Still, dogster, it's something you may want to consider, whether or not, your reeeally want to have your dog being allowed to have socks in his mouth. It's cute now, but it may not always be so cute, in years to come.

Whether you are encouraging him to put a sock in his mouth for a trick, or just to play with,
your dog is probably getting the message, "socks are for ME!":ROFLMAO: I go to goodwill stores, and buy bags of toys, of all kinds, for about 50 cents each, and Buddy LOVES THEM, as they might already have interesting scents on them, who knows? But my socks are off limits for Buddy.

Tif, your story reminded me of a friend whose dog ate underwear and pantyhose, didn't just chew them, ATE them. Often they 'passed through' after some mighty uncomfortable days for the dog.:(

She also had to be very careful of where her children left their clothing when they took a bath, etc, and laundry had to be guarded so carefully to protect the dog. (Never crossed their minds a dog could be trained to leave laundry alone):rolleyes: It's really hard to get busy distracted small children to always remember to pick up all socks and undies 100% of the time, to always always shut the doors that can lead to laundry for the dog to eat.

Their dog did end up having surgery to remove a pair of pantyhose which was blocking off his colon. Cost a lot of money and the dog took a while to recover from such a drastic surgery. I felt kind of bad, cuz the family was more annoyed about the tremendous cost of the surgery, than they were worried about their dog dying.

They put off going to the vet, they waited and waited and waited, givng punkin for laxative, etc, and trying and trying to avoid to pay for abdominal surgery,
but, the dog DID survive the surgery and DID live, and DID recover completely, and went on to spend the rest of his life
hunting underwear and socks as his life's mission. sometimes i sensed this whole "eating underwear" annoyance sort of interfered with the mom's ability to really bond on the dog at times...she had no idea she could train the dog to stop eating underwear.

Dogster

Honored Member
I was just planning to use a sock as a toy for "clean up", then phase it out by using different toys. You're very right though, thanks a lot for the advice.:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
It IS fun to find things our dogs reeeeeeally love, i so understand.
And maybe your dog would be some kind of wonder dog,
and only chew on socks that you give him,
and maybe your dog would somehow resist the urge to swallow the socks,
could happen.

Not all sock-loving dogs swallow the socks, but many do....

but, it's a risk!
I get tons of toys at yardsales, second hand places, Goodwill, just bags of them, and hide them away for a rainy day, and that makes such a nice surprise for a boring day for Buddy. I hide the new toy.

I show it to him, he quivers with joy at the sight of a brand new toy ("new" to him anyway)
and then i put him in "stay"
leave the room........
and go hide the toy........and call him to track it down....he comes barrelling into the room, full speed, barely making the turn, and begins an intense, nose-wiggling examination of the whole room, til he finally ever tracks down his new prize.

FUN! go get a large bagfull of second hand toys for your dog!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
My mom's teacup Chihuahua's favorite toys are socks. ^^ He only plays with them when provoked, though.
Mud knows how to take my socks off, lol, so if I give her a sock she just gives it right back to me. Lol! :ROFLMAO:
Zeke on the other hand looks at me like, "Are you kidding?" It's not a tennis ball, so he's not interested. :)

Dogster

Honored Member
GREAT IDEA TIGERLILY!!!!:LOL: I usually don't have time to go to stores like Goodwill, but I'll give it a try. It's true, Shivon loves it when I take out a new toy for her to play with.:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yes, "new" toys thrill my dog too.:)
I walk my dog up and down the neighborhood on our annual "yard sale" days, and buy bags of toys. Yard sales, or "garage" sales, often have boxes of toys for sale, too.
Our Goodwill store is less than a mile from our house, and going in there doesn't take any longer than going in any other shop. I buy old china for craft work, as well. Many crafters do frequent the Goodwill shops! NO better place to get old pieces of china. (i bust them up to make tile mosiacs)

If you want to, Dogster, the moment you introduce a new toy, if you give it a NAME, right then, right as the dog is "meeting" his new toy,
Shivon will learn those toy names. This makes fun game for the dog:http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/naming-new-toys-as-they-are-introduced-to-dog.4245/

Some ppl are able to teach a dog a new name to an OLD toy,
but i find that hard to get my dog to remember long term.
Buddy can find and bring many many toys by name...cuz he was told the name the moment he "met" the new toy.

the more interest and enthusiasm I show about him playing with his new toy, the more likely Buddy is to think that new toy is really great.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
do look over that thread.

for *my* dog, he has to hear the name, the moment he meets the toy.
I reinforce that name many many times a day, for many days, and slowly slowly reduce the number of times all day that i say the new toy name.

I can not get Buddy to learn a name for a toy he ALREADY has.
some ppl can, i can't. He might learn that toy name for a day, or week,
but months later, Buddy won't know this old stuffed frog that he has had for years, is now named "Froggy".......not a month later, he won't know it.

but a NEW toy, oh yeah, a NEW toy, he does learn those names, right off, and remembers those names forever.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I tend to buy books from charity shops so I might look for toys aswell. What kind of toys do you get - like kids toys or just dog toys??? I've never really looked before.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i buy kid toys. Stuffed animals, dolls, any toy that squeaks, goes into the basket. I get teeny tiny ones, large ones. Any toy that makes noise is good get.

I really think "outside the box" too.

HERE is a steal i got at Goodwill, for about $2. It was Buddy's all time favorite toy ever, this lil rubbery foam-filled bus, rolls around on it's own. Depending on where he bit the bus, it made different noises. After about a year, the bus was too chewed on, and had to go. Buddy moped...
It is made by Playskool Toys. Someday, i must order one online, if i can find one.