Sister's Dog

southerngirl

Honored Member
So about a month back my sister got a dog, Sasha. Sasha is short about Missy's size weighs 52 pounds. She looks like a Pit/staffy mix maybe, because she's short, huge head, short tail. She is under weight you can see her ribs. She only eats a cup of food a day. Piper eats 3 cups and Missy 1 1/2, Sasha should be eating more. My sister, Michele is trying to get her to eat more but she won't. Well Michele just called me saying Sasha has had diarrhea and is not eating. She said her ribs are showing even worse than before. I suggested rice to help stop the diarrhea is there anything else she can do? Michele is also having to take her out every 2-3hrs even at night. She is hand feeding her to get her to eat a little bit.

dukey_boy

The first thing I think of is worms/parasites. Maybe bring a fecal to the vet? Or maybe just make an appointment with the vet to check her out?
Hope she gets better soon!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Definitely have her go to a vet if she can. Is she feeding her decent food? I know that before I started feeding Chloe good food, she wouldn't eat that much, and frequently puked and had diarrhea.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Definitely have her go to a vet if she can. Is she feeding her decent food? I know that before I started feeding Chloe good food, she wouldn't eat that much, and frequently puked and had diarrhea.
She was feeding science diet because that was what animal control was feeding her, but she wasn't eating it at all. Now she is eating kibbles n bits which is a very sucky food.

dukey_boy

I didn't even though think of food!
We used the feed the cheapest (and junkiest) food on the market. Sadie did fine on it but Duke was eating tremendous amounts of it and staying skinny. And I mean like eight to ten cups a day to the bigger Sadie's three. And frequently in the morning before eating, he'd puke and the food he'd eaten last night was still the same form, same size. Then last February, he got giardia. Or that's what it appeared to be. But the explosive diarrhea was off and on-one day he had it, next he didn't. And overall he seemed fine so I didn't treat him for giardia. About that time, we switched to a grain free diet and everything was gone. The eating eight cups of food took a couple weeks to leave but now he barely eats 3.5 cups a day.
I understand that most science diet is not grain free-I'd switch to grain free and see what happens.

running_dog

Honored Member
By all means switch to a better quality food but she really needs to go to the vet ASAP.
With that level of weight loss and lack of appetite there could well be an underlying medical problem and potentially it is getting worse the longer it goes unidentified.

southerngirl

Honored Member
By all means switch to a better quality food but she really needs to go to the vet ASAP.
With that level of weight loss and lack of appetite there could well be an underlying medical problem and potentially it is getting worse the longer it goes unidentified.
I talked to my mom and she said my sister, Michele should take Sasha to the animal control and tell them that they need to treat her at their vet for free, because they adopted out a sick dog. I'm going to talk to my sister tonight to see if Sasha's better.