Rally-o Turns

Caiti

Experienced Member
Wylie has a strong heel but when I try to turn anything more than 90 degrees, he does his spin trick. For one of our canine freestyle routines, I had me spinning as a cue for him to spin, and now when I start to turn he spins all by himself. I am currently training him offleash, so I'll add a leash and see if I can help redirect him to my side. Does anyone have any advice? :)

Mutt

Experienced Member
Starting with wide cirkels and making them smaller step by step?
Or maybe using a target stick (you hand) which he has to follow.
I personally prefer off leash training (to give the dog the option to walk away and not 'force' him to do something).

Caiti

Experienced Member
I preffered off leash too, I wouldn't keep the leash tight, just to stop him from walking away so he can spin.

orpheum

Start by reteaching the command for the spin movement and remember that even in doggydance it's a good thing to have combined cues (my opinion). ;)

The other option is to train the turns in another position than the heeling position.
I personaly teach the turns while following between my legs. It takes away the possibility from your dog to anticipate on what he allready knows AND you don't need a leash. Once he has the needed rear end awareness it is easy to teach him to turn in all the heelpositions.
If that is not the problem than I would say he's not trained enough to hold his heeling position.

Hope this helps you out a bit and good luck (y)