Not Sure How To Train A Slam-dunk Basketball

Gripster

Here's a video of our first efforts. Charlie already knows how to retrieve a ball to a net at shoulder height and now I'm trying to get him to slam dunk a ball into a basket that will require that he stand on his hind legs to do so and maybe even jump up a bit. Unfortunately, 2-1/2 ft. is as low as the rim on this little basketball hoop will go, so I'm trying to create a more realistic increment by using his trick pedestal. I'm not exactly sure this is the right approach, so suggestions are certainly welcome.
Right now, I'm backward chaining from 'feet-up' on the rim and dropping the ball into the hoop.
Could I also work with him to retrieve a tossed ball back onto the pedestal as a separate behavior at the same time as I am training the drop into the net behavior if I removed the basketball hoop from view ? I'm not sure if that violates the rule "Only shape one behavior at a time, or not".:confused:

Gripster

In the video (and in reality as well) Charlie seemed to be spitting the ball out more than slam-dunking it into the basket and I couldn't figure out why we were having an issue, since he already knew how to retrieve to a basket. A Forum member helped me understand what was going on. Very observant of her; she saw something from the video that I wasn't astute enough to see. I thought I would share:
In a private email, Huntyr wrote: "I don't think Charlie is understanding that when he drops it into the hoop its doing something. I suggest trying to close up your net for now. Each time after he releases it, he looks in the hoop and there is nothing there. He needs to understand, I think, in the hoop is what you want. Right now, it appears to him as if he missed or nothing is happening and its on the floor. This way he sees that you are taking it out of the hoop."
She was so 'spot on'. I tied the bottom of the net together and he seemed to suddenly understand that he was being clicked and treated when the ball was placed in the net and if it was on the floor, he didn't get clicked and treated. Before, ( in his mind I think) he was getting clicked and treated for the ball ending up on the floor, so I guess he figured he would just jump on the pedestal and spit the ball out on the floor - no need to involve that whole basketball hoop thingie.:LOL:
Isn't it great to train with friends? I love it!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Great work! It really does help to have someone else watch once you hit a wall. I think we tend to keep either doing the same things, or looking at it the same way for so long (cuz well, we're human) that after a while, we need fresh eyes to come in and sometimes easily say hey, what about this or that? Makes a huge difference. Great job - and Charlie looks like he's so much fun to work with! Have fun!! :D