Need More Help With Tricks :)

ncsugrad54

Ok so once again I am trying to teach Skye to turn on/off the lights. I'm stumped and hitting my head against a wall. She knows "nose" which is touch her nose to my hand. She has also understood that if I say nose to an object that she touches it with her nose. Using this I have tried to get her to nose the light switch by putting my hand there or finger or pointing etc. I have also taken her nose and showed her what to do. She is NOT getting it. She just flails her paws around really scratching up the wall. I know this trick scratches your walls, but she's over the top with it. Any advice guys?????

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Hmm no I haven't tried that. how do I get her to move the switch on/off tho even if I use a post it note as a target?
I was thinking you could just use it in the initial phases to show her that you want her to touch it with her nose. Or, maybe you could tape a Popsicle stick to the switch, and teach her to target the stick. That could make it easier for her to turn the switch at first, then you could slowly shorten the length of the Popsicle stick until she is flipping the switch without the stick taped to it. Or.... If you happen to have a light switch laying around that isn't attached to a wall, you could teach her to flip it on that first, since that would be easier than teaching her with it on the wall. Once she has that down you could introduce her to the switch on the wall. Just some ideas. :)

running_dog

Honored Member
What kind of pressure will she have to put on the light switch with her nose?
It could be she knows what you want her to do but doesn't like the sensation of this hard thing sticking into her. Zac reverts to paws if he doesn't like he feel of something on his nose - so he'll close an easy door with his nose but if there is any resistance he goes for the paw splat :rolleyes:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Have you tried teaching a washing up sponge? Teach target/touch with the sponge as the target within your hand to begin with and then move onto the sponge being attached to the light switch and move on from there making the sponge smaller and smaller until there is only a tiny amount of sponge left on the switch?

ncsugrad54

ok I will start trying some of those ideas. I wasn't really sure if she should flip it with her nose or paw?? Of course I would prefer nose, b/c she is tearing up my wall throwing her paws all around excitedly/confused on what I want

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I must have ADD lol. I started teaching her a back stall. So far ok. I think my back is all torn up from her claws tho :eek:
If you wear multiple layers you probably won't get scratched up as bad. Good luck with backstall, that's a really impressive trick when it's done. :)