Need Help: How To Teach A Stubborn Dog Tricks!

missickc

He's a Maltese dog called Alfie. He's my cousins but I would love to teach him how to do tricks like my dog missi :)
He's well groomed, well looked after and much more. Whenever you try put him in a position.... Such as sit for example.... He growls at you and snarles! Any tips?

Would love to show my cousin that he's an extremely intelligent dog ;)

(He can only sit down :/)

Dlilly

Honored Member
Alfie is not being stubborn. He is telling you that he doesn't like being pushed into positions. Alfie would excel in trick training if you use force-free methods, where you teach the dog how to sit instead of forcing him to do it. You will be able to teach him tricks, you just need to be patient and understanding. :)

You should check out Kikopup on Youtube, she has a ton of videos on how to teach tricks! http://www.youtube.com/kikopup

When you first start out trick training, keep the trick simple. The more simple tricks you teach him, the faster he will learn complex tricks!

ackerleynelson

1.) Buy dog treats that your dog favours.

2.) Establish a set of single word commands and corresponding actions. When you command your dog, use your hands to show it how you want it to move or react.

3.) Avoid punishment. Puppies and young dogs do learn certain behaviours more quickly, but older dogs are much less aware of how to react with punishment, so this may confuse them. The best way to direct good and bad behaviours is to reward for the good, and retain the treat for bad behaviour. Saying the word "no" and withholding the treat is an acceptable form of punishment, but physically touching the dog or yelling will make him resist further training.

4.) Try this series of actions consistently every day around the same time.

5.) Be patient. Do not get frustrated or angry at your dog for misunderstanding.

Vizzla

Experienced Member
He's a Maltese dog called Alfie. He's my cousins but I would love to teach him how to do tricks like my dog missi :)
He's well groomed, well looked after and much more. Whenever you try put him in a position.... Such as sit for example.... He growls at you and snarles! Any tips?

Would love to show my cousin that he's an extremely intelligent dog ;)

(He can only sit down :/)

My advice (I have 2 dachshunds) is short training sessions, just a few repeats. Then play and do it again later.
They get bored out more often than more easy to train breeds :) Always prais a lote!