Neat Link To Choose Dog Breed.

Did you research your dog's breed prior to adopting/buying the dog?

• Total voters

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Below is a neat link, which was embedded into a great article posted by Pawtential Unleashed on another thread in "Service Dogs".

It is pretty cool, an online dog breed selector. The result list is interesting.

http://www.k9country.com/perl/dogBreed.pl

WHAT % OF MATCH did you have with your current dog?
:)

That is just for fun anyway, i still think matching up a dog's energy level is probably the MOST crucial factor of all, in creating a harmonious dog/human relationship,
so both the human and the dog are happy.:D

and this cute link for fun, does not supersede the advice given in Tx's post here: http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/do-your-research-the-importance-of-choosing-the-right-breed-for-you.2910/

PS, i realize the "poll" question doesn't reeeeally fit this thread, not reeeeeeally. lol. I was just curious, so i posted poll question.;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I have 90% match-up with my border collie, with 10% off for wrong energy match, BUT, my border collie is a family dog, and the rest of my family makes up for that extra 10% of energy!:ROFLMAO: We sort of share the job of keeping Buddy busy, and we all do take a "shift" of sorts, wearing out the dog:ROFLMAO:

Also, i think it's possible, to NOT be a distance runner (anymore:( )
and still be able to get the dog to run.

Anneke

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: I have an 80% match with Australian shepherds... 20% off for experience and exercise:eek::rolleyes:
That's just because they didn't put the right answer in there... I have NO yard, but I DO take my dogs out a LOT.
I find it hilarious that in every dogtest I take those Spaniels pop up. I had 100% match for english springer, Welsh springer, field springer and sussex springer. Sorry, I have NOTHING with spaniels;)
My 100% were german shepherd,norwegian elkhound, keeshond, golden retriever and those spaniels and kerrie blue terriers.
All dogs I would NEVER choose:D
Funny, because all the dogs listed, that I WOULD choose, like border collie, old english sheepdog are all 80% match...:ROFLMAO: All because of experience...

One dog listed I found strange... Bernese mountain dog 90% match. 10% off because of execise????In my opinion, if you find a german shepherd a 100% match, then then so would the bernese... They need a little less execise then germans, in my experience...

BUT this IS one of the better test I have ever taken.

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
I agree with Anneke this is a better test than all the others!:) I got 80% match with border collies because of social. They said 100% with smooth coated retriever but I wouldn't chose it.
The test was fun to do!

Dogster

Honored Member
That is a GREAT test!!!! I got 100% with a lab and 90% with a whippet.:) A lot of the sporting group dogs and hound group dogs matched (100%):D

And I didn't do ANY research on labs or whippets whatsoever.:whistle: I was planning on getting a goldendoodle or Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. I got Shivon within a week. Saw her online on Friday, went to go see her on Monday, told my application was accepted on Wednesday, and got her on Saturday.:) But I couldn't ask for a better dog!!!!!:love:

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
I got:
90% match with Aussies & Borders (points off for socialability) - new pups
100% match with Newfoundlands - Ayla
90% match with Giant Schnauzer & Standard Poodle (points off for socialability) - Luka
90% match with Papillon & Spaniels - (points off for socialability) - Knoxx

Works for me!!

southerngirl

Honored Member
I have 80% match for Border Collies 20 off because I have little nephews that are around a lot. 100% for Labradors. Missy's a Border Collie Labrador so I checked both. If it weren't for the children I would have a 100% match for Border Collie. I got 100% for a lot of hearding and sporting breeds.
For Chase- 100% Labrador 100% Dalmation

sara

Staff member
I got 100% match for Irish Terrier and Lab (which I think Ollie is :) ) and 90% match for Dachshunds (10% off for activity... apparently I'm too active for them lol) I also got 90% for Lhasa Apsos and Bichons, which Zoe is, and Scout's supposed to be part Bichon.

I got 100% on ALOT of breeds LOL Including the three breeds on my someday list: Border Terrier, Standard Poodle and Borzoi :) 66 breeds are 100% 75 breeds are 90% and 16 breeds are 80% :)

Dice Smith

I love taking these kind of tests and often scour the internet for them lol! However, I was shocked at the results of this one :)! My boy is an aussie and I only had an eighty percent match for him based on socialability (understandable) and experience (huh?). It said that I needed breeds for novice handlers only which shocked me since I've trained all of our family dogs (there have been MANY over the years, including a collie). My best matches were retrievers and setters. And I got an alaskan malamute which is a breed that I absolutely love and would love to own :) I'm not a fan of retrievers at all though, they're just not the breed for me :) I'm definitely glad that I spent years fantasizing and researching about australian shepherds. They are an amazing breed and I believe the best fit for me! This test was fun and offered really, interesting, unique results that I never would have expected! So glad I took it :D. Going to recommend it to my mom and sister!

Dogster

Honored Member
LOL I did the Dogster one:ROFLMAO: The first time I got a German Shepherd, but I messed up some questions....

By the way, when I chose my DTA name, I had NO idea that site existed.:confused:

Evie

Experienced Member
100% for Australian Shepards, but the Border Collie was no where to be seen, so must have been below 80%. I had 100% for bearded, smooth and rough collies too... but not the borders! Oh well. Evie is my perfect match.