Missy And The Puppy

southerngirl

Honored Member
Okay so when Missy is lying down the puppy will try playing with her, barking throwing its head around smacking her with it's paws, the pup is also laying down. Missy will start to whine and open her mouth and have her front teeth showing. She is not growling when she is doing this just whining. Does this mean she is annoyed? Should I stop the puppy or allow them to work it out?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Sounds innocent enough. I remember once my old dog, Nikki was visiting a friend with a very young puppy. The pup was pretty annoying, stealing chew toys, biting Nikki's ears, etc. When Nikki had had enough, she bared her teeth and growled, then air snapped at the pup. The pup backed right off, and went back to minding her own business. I think they do work these things out on their own, just keep an eye on them?

kcmetric

Wish I could see a picture of it.

I don't really believe in letting the dog's work it out unless it's evident the dog that is causing the problems gets the message. The puppy doesn't seem to. A good way to test out if Missy doesn't mind is to grab your pups back legs gently instead of grabbing by the collar (less tension which can elevate the situation). If Missy goes forward to continue the play then she doesn't mind more than likely.

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree with KCMetric and Jackie, I don't like allowing dogs to 'sort it out themselves', can lead to further issues, with both dogs.

However, an air snap is o.k. provided the puppy 'gets the message' and backs off. With Zeus he kinda 'snorted' sorry it was a somewhat unusual sound, not found in 'doggy manuals', at Leaf when she tried to 'share' his food. Whatever the sound is called, she got the message - "back off from my food". Now I can safely leave them to eat together.

Zeus is a very tolerant dog, so he just gets up and moves off if she gets too playful.

I would watch them both carefully, and if the puppy doesn't get Missy's back off message, remove the puppy.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Now that the puppy has been around for a bit I soon realized that it's just how Missy plays. I personally find it odd that she has all her teeth showing when she plays, but hey it's Missy she's my weird girl. I found it very interesting watching Missy relearn how to play with a dog, it had been four years since she last rough housed with a dog.

MaryK

Honored Member
Now that the puppy has been around for a bit I soon realized that it's just how Missy plays. I personally find it odd that she has all her teeth showing when she plays, but hey it's Missy she's my weird girl. I found it very interesting watching Missy relearn how to play with a dog, it had been four years since she last rough housed with a dog.
Danielle, well done! You observed both dogs and learned their ways of expressing themselves! Mark of a very good dog trainer!(y):)

Aren't dogs just amazing! They all have their little 'quirks', which makes having them that much more fun!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Danielle, well done! You observed both dogs and learned their ways of expressing themselves! Mark of a very good dog trainer!(y):)

Aren't dogs just amazing! They all have their little 'quirks', which makes having them that much more fun!
:)
Lol I think Missy may have too many quirks.:whistle::giggle: