Meet Jinx!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I was on the list for a litter of puppies from a fantastic breeder that were going to be bred sometime this summer. It was all planned, I was going to get this amazing puppy, its parents are both herding and agility stars, I was going to be able to be so successful with this pup... Then Jinx came along. His owner fell sick, he needed a new home. I couldn't say no. He came home with me. He wasn't at all what I was looking for, but now he’s mine (I guess that tends to be how it works with rescue, huh? :p ). He’s four years old, he’s turning five at the end of this month. I was told that he was high drive and very active... I’m not seeing that lol. Since I’ve had him, pretty much all he has done is sleep all day, and get up occasionally to snuggle. So I guess this will be a new challenge for me, because I’m not going to be letting him get away with sleeping all day. ;) He’s going to be doing obedience, agility, tricks, herding... (well, that’s the theory :p ). I am so used to Chloe, who is very high drive, so teaching a dog who seems to have no interest in learning (or doing anything for that matter...) will be a challenge. His trick list is empty. He knows absolutely nothing. He doesn't even know how to sit or lie down. Not sure how you can have a border collie (or any dog for that matter) for 4 years and not teach him anything, but if it’s up to me his trick list will be expanding soon! :D Jinx has no clue what toys are, I don’t think that his old owner ever played with toys with him. Building toy drive is going to be a challenge, but I’m going to try! But he does have one thing going for him.. he’s absolutely adorable!! :love: Picture time!!
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG

southerngirl

Honored Member
He is beautiful Kassidy. :love: And yes that is how rescue seems to work they pick you. Sounds like you have a challenge on your hands with Jinx, and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Just remember patience is key. If you start feeling frustrated take a break from him maybe take Chloe on a walk or do some training with her. If you need any help just ask us and we'll be glad to help. How is Chloe liking him?

kassidybc

Experienced Member
He is beautiful Kassidy. :love: And yes that is how rescue seems to work they pick you. Sounds like you have a challenge on your hands with Jinx, and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Just remember patience is key. If you start feeling frustrated take a break from him maybe take Chloe on a walk or do some training with her. If you need any help just ask us and we'll be glad to help. How is Chloe liking him?
Chloe actually tolerates him really well! She doesn't like other dogs at all, especially in her own house, but she actually doesn't really mind Jinx! He actually convinced her to play once, and she's never played with another dog before in her life. Jinx seems to have a way with other dogs, I was trying to teach him some agility, and my agility mentor's dog was there, and her dog is super uncomfortable around other dogs, and she was actually really comfortable around him! Her dog has never been comfortable with another dog in her life!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Chloe actually tolerates him really well! She doesn't like other dogs at all, especially in her own house, but she actually doesn't really mind Jinx! He actually convinced her to play once, and she's never played with another dog before in her life. Jinx seems to have a way with other dogs, I was trying to teach him some agility, and my agility mentor's dog was there, and her dog is super uncomfortable around other dogs, and she was actually really comfortable around him! Her dog has never been comfortable with another dog in her life!
Wow that's awesome! Could I barrow him?LOL:giggle: Missy needs a dog like that around, she really lacks in her doggy skills.

running_dog

Honored Member
Kassidy, congratulations on your new dog, and Jinx congratulations on getting one of the most awesome homes you possibly could! Jinx is gorgeous! Totally stunning to look at and sounds a really nice dog! I'm sure he'll learn lots of things really quickly with you.

A thought on his activity level... is he even slightly overweight? I can't see under all that luxuriant fur and it sounds possible from his background. If Zac puts on even just a few extra lb his activity level drops dramatically.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Kassidy, congratulations on your new dog, and Jinx congratulations on getting one of the most awesome homes you possibly could! Jinx is gorgeous! Totally stunning to look at and sounds a really nice dog! I'm sure he'll learn lots of things really quickly with you.

A thought on his activity level... is he even slightly overweight? I can't see under all that luxuriant fur and it sounds possible from his background. If Zac puts on even just a few extra lb his activity level drops dramatically.
He seems to be about perfect weight, but he has very little muscle, so that could be part of the problem. Although I think the key to his energy is finding something that motivates him. I brought him to see sheep for the first time yesterday- there's that border collie energy!! :D I took a video of him while herding, I'll post it when I get a chance. I wish we could post videos without posting them to youtube first...

Evie

Experienced Member

^ This was 100% correct with Evie.

She put on a couple of extra kg's without me noticing. My agility instructor pointed it out to me so we made an effort to lose said kgs, and she's been so much faster, her endurance has improved unbelievably and her drive has gone out the window.

I'm sure it's not all 100% to do with her weight loss, but it definitely did help. And to be honest. I didn't even think she was overweight to begin with. I mean, she wasn't exactly fat. But now she's in a very fit shape and is feeling so much better for it :)

Definitely something to keep in the back of your mind

He is 100% absolutely gorgeous by the way! Sooooooooooooo cute! Wish I'd accidentally ended up with another border ... :rolleyes:

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Unfortunately we had an issue with Jinx. I was not aware how severely unsocialized he is. When we were at obedience class he was growling and snapping at everyone going by. Which I can understand, it was hectic, and he's not used to things like that. So I was planning on just working with him on that. But a few days later, my sister came to visit, and he attacked her. Like, pretty full blown attacked. My sister was terrified, she ended up with a bitten thigh before I could stop him. My mom of course was horrified that her daughter had been attacked, and she wanted Jinx out of there immediately. We were so confused, because he had been the sweetest dog to everyone in his foster home, and he was always so sweet in his old home. We thought perhaps it could be something medical, so I had him tested for a bunch of stuff at the vet, but there is nothing wrong with him. My mom would not let me keep him. We had to bring him back. :(

Luckily, the ending is a happy one. It turns out that a week or so before I got Jinx, a BC was placed in a home, but it turns out he was much too active for his new home. They are older and wanted a dog that would be happy just laying around with them most of the day, and satisfied with just a walk or two. The dog they adopted is one hundred percent BC and was not at all happy with just a walk. He needs a job! So, they decided they needed to bring him back so he could find a home that was more appropriate for him. That happened to be the same time I was bringing Jinx back, so everyone involved decided a swap would be a good idea! The older couple don't usually go anywhere, or have many visitors, so Jinx's temperament wasn't of big concern to them. But he is more than happy to lay around and cuddle with them all day, which is what they wanted! And the dog they adopted is more than happy to do all the fun stuff I want to do with him! So the swap worked very well!! And Jinx is very happy in his new home, I've been keeping in touch-
image4 (1).JPG