Max Is A Jumper

Sameeee

Hi All this is Max a 1 1/2 year old full Boxer. Max is a good boy. knows how to sit and am working on stay. my problem with Max if he is a jumper. when someone comes to visit or we come home he jumps on us and can knock a person down. he thinks he is a puppy but is a BIG puppy lol we try to get him to sit and stay which he does untill we turn from him. then he starts again. my question is what would be the best Training Methods to use with Max to stop this jumping??

Attachments

Dogster

Honored Member
Well, first, he is cute a heck.:love: I would suggest exercise (explained in another post on the other thread). Before training him, you should always exercise him, to tire him out a bit, so he won't be as excited. A sit and stay is good, you have to use a lot of treats and clicker (if you have one) and click and treat when he offers you the behaviour. I would first just get his sit stay perfect, then move on to distractions, such as people coming in through the door. I think this kikopup video will help too.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Good advice from Dogster above. And one thing to keep in mind about Max - he IS still a puppy (sort of). He's a young adolescent, so yes, acting much like a big ol' puppy. Sounds just about right. :LOL:

May I ask ... what are you currently doing when he jumps?

Sameeee

I have been telling him NO and telling him to sit and stay. he will untill I turn from him and he jumps at me again. also if we have guests he jumps on them too so I hold him and make him sit untill he calms down then he is ok

SD&B

Experienced Member
Well, first, he is cute a heck.:love: I would suggest exercise (explained in another post on the other thread). Before training him, you should always exercise him, to tire him out a bit, so he won't be as excited. A sit and stay is good, you have to use a lot of treats and clicker (if you have one) and click and treat when he offers you the behaviour. I would first just get his sit stay perfect, then move on to distractions, such as people coming in through the door. I think this kikopup video will help too.
Love Kikopup! Your advice is also great.:):):)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
The above Kikopup video is really good, as is Dogster's advice to start working on giving Max something else to do beside's jumping (as in, asking for a "sit", etc, and working on proofing that).

I'd like to suggest something else also. In your other thread, I asked how long his walks were, and your reply was:
about a 1/4 mile or more, but only when hubby goes to check the mail
l we have a long driveway
It sounds like he's not getting much exercise at all. An 18 month old Boxer needs a lot of exercise. You've got a dog who's basically ready to explode, I'm sure he's bouncing off the walls (or feeling like he wants to). He needs a lot more than a 10 min (max) walk/day, esp since right now all his other outside yard time is on-leash. Getting him more exercise will also help with his behavior in the house, and his behavior with the other dog(s). If he could expend some of his energy, he wouldn't be so rowdy. He's just being a big puppy.

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree with all the above. Max is still a big puppy, well o.k. adolescent but he does need a lot more exercise. He's just so cute:D Those eyes, just looking for fun:D

Exercise before training as Dogster said in her post, is the way to go. I give my boy (who's older than Max but still thinks he's a puppy) a good half an hour or more of just plain running around having fun before I even attempt to start training him. Plus he has at least an hour or more good fast walk, with stops for sniffing of course along the way, then some more running fun play and if I have time some more training.

With his play time I ALWAYS play with him, it's not quite the same as when they're left to their own devises. I don't rough house him but use his soccer ball. You could try a frisbee, they're great, or anything, just so long as Max is interacting with you. And you can use play as an 'unofficial' training time - keep clicker/treats handy - so if he jumps you ask for sit - click/treat and then throw his ball or frisbee. He'll soon 'get it' that bring back the ball/frisbee means 'hey if I sit I not only get TREATS but Mom also throws the ball/frisbee again WHEE"

Max may take a while to fully mature, Boxers are real 'clowns' and love a fun time, lots of running around and loads of playtime interacting with their folks.

Sameeee

you are right Max is a BIG puppy and does have loads of energy, and it is good to know getting rid of some of that energy will help with his jumping and behavior problems. hubby and I are disabled and can't be as active as we want. but I am going to find ways to ware out Max, working on getting fence for the yard and was thinking of a tredmill. I seen in another post it works good when you can't give reguler walks,

Dogster

Honored Member
Yes, but dogs also need to be outside. A treadmill could help with draining his energy for a bit, but nothing substitutes being outside. He should play outside for as long as possible, IMO.:)

Mutt

Experienced Member
I would defininitely get your yard a fence, this way Max can get offleash exercise.
Trick training (mental training) is also a great way to make a dog tired.
Things as giving your dog his meal in a treatball (boomer treatball/kong wobbler) or in a puzzel (you can make your own quite easily)
Dog sports may also be a solution this gives the dog anmental and physical challenge, the one with the least labor for owners are dog frisbee (has to be properly learned so dogschool would be a must for the first sessions), treibball (can also be done in the yard, you only need an exercise ball (one for humans is fine) or a big football can do the trick.
Playing with a ball also is great.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Can't say enough about the importance of Max being able to blow off steam outside, not just having to stay inside all the time and "be a good boy". Dogs need time and the ability to get out and just 'be dogs'. The sooner your fence is up the better. Hopefully your yard will be big enough for a good game of ball, chase, etc.

Good suggestions above re: feeding meals in something like a treat ball or wobbler, that would give him a mental workout.
Here's the wobbler if you don't know what they are:
http://www.petco.com/product/112212/KONG-Wobbler-Food-Dispensing-Dog-Toy.aspx
They're available all over the place, I pulled up the first one I saw online, just so happens it was Petco. There are all kinds of treat/food dispensing products, one I also love is called the Tug-A-Jug (my own pups LOVE these)
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3641000
Anyway, these will give Max some mental stimulation, and there's certainly no harm in feeding him his meals from one of these - mealtime becomes more of a game and takes quite a while, rather than you put the bowl down and bing bam boom, it's gone 2 min later. He'll have to really work for every bite, it keeps him busy for a bit, it's kind of entertaining to watch them, and he might be ready to settle down when he's finished eating.

MaryK

Honored Member
Great post Jackie, will have to get a couple for my boys, though Zeus will probably destroy even a Kong one:((n) But it does take him a bit longer with Kongs(y) It will stop the tiny bit of 'angst' at feed time. Zeus believes in the old saying 'what's mine is mine and what's yours is also mine', so have to watch them. Ra Kismet mostly ignores him now, but the Kong feeding toy would be grand and help to keep him settled after eating too(y):D

Certainly would be FANTASTIC for Max. Really give him mental stimulation and help with his over exuberance and abundant energy!(y)(y)

He really does need something to help him, he must be going quietly nuts. Sure hope Samee that you can get your yard fenced quickly. I know you want the very best for your babies:love:

Sameeee

I am still working on getting the yard fenced. will be this weekend before I can get the stuff to do it.
I told a friend how I wanted a treadmill to exercise Max. she thought it was a great idea since I can't walk that far. so she talked to a friend who talked to another friend who has a digital treadmill sitting in the basement colleting dust and has only a few miles on it. the friend is giving me the treadmill. it will be later today before I can go get it, I am watching videos on how to start training Max to walk on the treadmill. my son says Max will never do it but I am gona prove him wrong.

Sameeee

I went to youtube and searched training your dog on a treadmill. there is bunchs on how to start training. I really hope this works for Max. I think he will like it. and I can also train Precious and Rocky on it too. and use it myself

Sameeee

Thanks, hubby and son think I am crazy to try this. I have to do something. and this has been the best idea I can come up with. all the dogs I seen walking on the treadmill seam to like it. and do it without a leash. its gona be good for all of us

MaryK

Honored Member
Awwwwwwwwwww Max is so cute wearing his "I'm innocent" look.:love:
LOL does he manage to fool you?:D

Beautiful photo too of your Great Grandbaby and Bud:love:

Thank you for sharing, it's always so lovely to see your babies.:love::)