Introducing The Dutch Dog Breeds

Mutt

Experienced Member
Though the Netherlands sure aren't one of the biggest countries, we still have a wide variety of dog breeds.

So I thought it would be nice to show people the Dutch dog breeds as they are very rare outside the Netherlands (except maybe the shorthaired Dutch shepherd).

Enjoy :)

Friese Stabij (Stabyhoun)
An independent farm dog. The stabyhoun was originally bred to hunt moles. Nowadays they are almost always held as house dog, though they do need exercise.

Wetterhoun (Frisian Water Dog)
The wetterhoun is a water dog and also a farm dog. Earlier they were used as guard dogs. They have a gentle nature and are very close with their owner.

Drentse patrijshond (Drentse partridge dog)
A hunting dog and guarder of the farm. Though nowadays also held as house dog (family pet), yet again they do need regular exercise. They have a playful nature, though a bit stubborn (which seems to be a characteristic of all Dutch breeds). The Drent truly is a peoples person.

Nederlandse schapendoes (Dutch schapendoes/Dutch sheepdog)
Earlier the schapendoes was held to herd sheep and though this is still done with the breed, it has also become a house pet. It is a very loyal and happy breed with a brave nature but (yet again) also stubborn. It is an active breed which also needs regular exercise.

Hollandse Smoushond (Dutch smoushond/Dutch Ratter)
The Smous is an intelligent and social dog breed. The Smous easily adepts to different lifestyles and can easily live in the city. Regular exercise is an must however.

Hollandse herders (Dutch shepherds)
There are three varieties within the Dutch shepherd: short haired, long haired and rough haired. Earlier they were mixed, but nowadays they are all seen as separate breeds.
The dutch shepherds are keepers and walk(ed) next to the sheep. The Dutch shepherd needs lots of mental and physical exercise, when this is given they make good companions and house dogs.

Short haired
A very intelligent, loyal, alert and watchful dog. The short haired is often seen in schutzhund and other similar disciplines, though they are an all around sports dog and can be seen as a fair ‘rival’ of the Malinois. This variety has to most temperament. There is a big difference between the work and show type (not as much in appearance as in temperament).

Long haired
The long hair also is an very intelligent loyal and alert breed. Though they sure can compete all kinds of dogsports, they are less seen than the short hair (which doesn’t mean they aren’t good at it). There is no difference between work and show type.

Rough haired
The rough hair also is an intelligent working dog. The rough & longhaired are both seen as breeds with an more gentle nature than the shorthair. Still the rough hair is an true shepherd. There no differences between work and show type.

Markiesje
The Markiesje is a delicately built, intelligent companion dog. It can enjoy being cuddled, but also will do fine in dogsports and walks. The breed gets very attached to people (owners but also friends of the family).

Kooikerhondje (Kooiker hound)
Originally a hunting dog, but now often seen as house pet (though they aren’t very suitable for families with kids). A feisty but joyful breed. The kooiker is great for its own people and enjoys ‘working’ with its owner. The kookier isn’t an “everyone’s friend” kind of dog.

Saarlooswolfhond (saarlooswolfdog)
A breed which started as an cross between a German shepherd and a European wolf. The Saarloos gets very attached to it’s family and has a hard time being apart from its family (being alone) for a long time and enjoys canine company. The breed is careful with strangers and reserved. Though not a star in dogsports (it’s not in the breeds nature to work unlike for example the dutch shepherd) it does enjoy long walks.

I hope you enjoyed ‘our’ small contribution to the dog world.

Please keep in mind that these is very, very short and not very detailed information about the breeds, if you are interest please search more information on the internet/in books and contact breeders :)

Dogster

Honored Member
They are all beautiful!!!:love: I had only heard about the dutch shepherd, until now.:p Thanks for the info, Mutt!!!(y)

Mutt

Experienced Member
Glad everyone enjoys/enjoyed it :)
I always find it very interesting to learn more about (unknown) dogbreeds and figured other people might also enjoyed it.
If anyone is truly interested in more info/breeders I'd be happy to help.

@evie
:D they even come in irish spotting (the typical b/w marking of the BC so she will "match" with Evie :ROFLMAO:

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks for the share every dog is so beautiful but I too want a Markiesje! They look a lot like Ra Kismet! While you're sending one to Evie B include one for me too please:D