How To Teach?

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I had a really cute idea for a trick, but have absolutely no idea how to go about teaching it. I was thinking, conga line. Me and Chloe. The finished product would be her with her paws on my back and moving with me, keeping her paws on my back, and when I kicked my leg, she would pick up that back paw. I don't know if you can picture that.... But, I don't know how to teach it. Obviously I would have to teach her how to put her paws on my back, then have her move with me with her paws on my back. Then, seperately, I would have to teach her to lift each back paw, then combine the two. Problem is, I don't have any idea of how to teach her either of those. Any help? PS- Chloe is very hesitant to put her paws on my back, although she will put her paws on my front easily.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I would teach her to target a sticky note (or any object really, a sticky note is just the easiest) with her paw. After she has one paw down, I would lay two sticky notes on the ground and try to shape her to paw at the other sticky note. Then, I would put the sticky nose on a book, and just keep adding books until the stack gets too unstable. You can use any object, the goal is to just make her target higher and higher. Then, I'd put the sticky notes on a door or wall and finally put it on my back. That's how I'd do it with my dogs, that may not work for our dog.

This is similar to what I'd do. (just with no scratching)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I would teach her to target a sticky note (or any object really, a sticky note is just the easiest) with her paw. After she has one paw down, I would lay two sticky notes on the ground and try to shape her to paw at the other sticky note. Then, I would put the sticky nose on a book, and just keep adding books until the stack gets too unstable. You can use any object, the goal is to just make her target higher and higher. Then, I'd put the sticky notes on a door or wall and finally put it on my back. That's how I'd do it with my dogs, that may not work for our dog.

This is similar to what I'd do. (just with no scratching)

Thanks, I will try it with the sticky notes. Part of her problem is she doesn't want to work behind me, basically whichever way I turn she turns herself to be in front of me.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
If you can teach her the conga moves while you are facing each other, maybe you holding her front paws, then you can get those solid. After that, teach her paws up on various items, then move her to paws up on a wall, then you can stand in front of the wall and get her paws up on your back. Then back chain the paws up and the conga moves together. You might have to hold her paws with your hands behind your back at first, then gradually remove them.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
If you can teach her the conga moves while you are facing each other, maybe you holding her front paws, then you can get those solid. After that, teach her paws up on various items, then move her to paws up on a wall, then you can stand in front of the wall and get her paws up on your back. Then back chain the paws up and the conga moves together. You might have to hold her paws with your hands behind your back at first, then gradually remove them.
Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas on teaching her to lift her back legs?

Mutt

Experienced Member
Dlilly and brodys_mom gave some good advice for the first part.

This is how I taught Mazzel to lift his paw (both sides the same way, explained for the left one):
place a book/something slightly higher than the ground on the floor and her left side (so behind her left paw). As soon as she hits the book c&t.
If she gots this, start adding more books step by step. Until she pulls her left paw as high as she can (when the paw touches her belly if you know what I mean). Than let her stand next to someting which is higher than she is (wall/pole) and ask for the behavior (the object should be on the left side). She will lift her paw and seek support (pole/wall is to fade the books/make her get used to having no support/give indication of what to do). Than start moving away from the wall (a step to the side) and ask for the behavior and start adding more steps (in the beginning the dog will want to move to the wall). Than fade the wall.

It personally put sometime between learning the left side and the right side (so that Mazzel wouldn't get confused).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm curious of the end result!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Dlilly and brodys_mom gave some good advice for the first part.

This is how I taught Mazzel to lift his paw (both sides the same way, explained for the left one):
place a book/something slightly higher than the ground on the floor and her left side (so behind her left paw). As soon as she hits the book c&t.
If she gots this, start adding more books step by step. Until she pulls her left paw as high as she can (when the paw touches her belly if you know what I mean). Than let her stand next to someting which is higher than she is (wall/pole) and ask for the behavior (the object should be on the left side). She will lift her paw and seek support (pole/wall is to fade the books/make her get used to having no support/give indication of what to do). Than start moving away from the wall (a step to the side) and ask for the behavior and start adding more steps (in the beginning the dog will want to move to the wall). Than fade the wall.

It personally put sometime between learning the left side and the right side (so that Mazzel wouldn't get confused).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm curious of the end result!
Love the new pictures in your signature!

Mutt

Experienced Member
@brodys_mom, thank you :)
I actually made the pics sometime ago, but I'm still very pleased with them :love:
I find the quote in your signature also very inspiring.