How Do You Get Your Dog To Go In The Water?

MaryK

Honored Member
Fraid some dogs just refuse to go in the water. With my two cannot keep Ra Kismet OUT of water and Zeus - he'd rather commit suicide than get his paws wet. I've tried everything, including his great love FOOD and he still will not go into water.:(In 11.5 years he has only ONCE got his paws wet and that was by accident:D My partner, fortunately, captured that memorial moment on camera so I do have a pic to prove he DID ONCE get his paws wet. He almost went into shock when he realized his paws were wet:eek:

I guess maybe try food, special toy, throw something into the water like a ball or a stick but from experience with a water hating dog, nothing so far has worked:(I could drown and all Zeus would do is bark from the safety of the shore line:D

Sorry I cannot give you much encouragement:( You may just have to accept, as I have with Zeus , that Murphy's another water hating dog:(:)

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Veronica wouldn't go near the water either...until Socrates her boyfriend (and her only doggy friend in the world) walked on the beach with her and he walked into the water. She trotted in after him like it was the most natural thing in the world. :D

Now she goes in just fine. I don't swim, so she only goes in as far as I do, but she still seems to enjoy it on a hot day.

MaryK

Honored Member
That's beautiful Jazzy and Veronica:love: She must have great trust in Socrates to follow him without a second thought. Fraid it hasn't work with Zeus, maybe he needs a little lady friend to help him:)

Honored Member
Holly didn't really like water until she saw other dogs go in, now she will go into shallow water on her own (up to her belly).

But today at the dog park she was very close to jumping into the deep water. A lab X was playing fetch and its ball was getting thrown into the water so the dog jumped in (dock-diving style) and Holly was very close to giving it a try herself. Maybe next time she will :)

sara

Staff member
Oliver learned to like water, after previously not sticking his big toe in (he HATED getting his feet wet LOL) when I took him to a lake and went in myself. The lake is HUGE and very shallow, and it was a hot day, so the water was nearly bath tub warm. After he decided the large waves weren't going to kill him, I cant keep him out of the water! LOL

MaryK

Honored Member
Holly is doing better than Zeus(y) He'd just be doing the end part, where she runs off like crazy:ROFLMAO: He firmly believes that swimming or water is definitely for the fishes, not dogs!:eek:

MaryK

Honored Member
Afraid Zeus doesn't chase after balls:( His attitude towards balls being thrown anywhere is 'you threw it so you go get it':D LOL I've given up, one water baby is more than enough:D

Dogster

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO:

Shivon plays a "half fetch". She'll chase it, but she will NEVER bring it back. Sometimes she plays, "keep away".:rolleyes:

Honored Member
Shivon plays a "half fetch". She'll chase it, but she will NEVER bring it back. Sometimes she plays, "keep away".:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

Holly tends to do this too,
although she will sometimes bring it back at home.

At the dog park she likes to steal balls off other dogs, not to play with them, just to steal them. But she isn't usually very successful because she has trouble picking up full size tennis balls (they don't fit in her mouth very well) and other balls that size so by the time she manages to the dog that owns the ball has come over and taken it back.

rouen

Experienced Member
I found the real deal maker was the PFD. Without it Dasy has trouble keeping her butt up, she plashes, gets water in her nose and has a horrible time. With the PFD she swims like a champ, she'll follow me into deep water, she'll chase sticks.
Dingo has always been a belly deep boy, especially if he's hot. I have gotten him to follow me out into deep water a few times with his PFD, he's afraid of deep water without his PFD though.