Help! Walking Troubles - Pyrenees Mountain Dog Mix

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi there. I'm posting this for a friend of my mom's (my idea)... she has a Pyrenees Mountain Dog mix named Yukon... well... here goes:

When out wearing the Gentle Leader (only in the driveway... she can't walk him AT ALL! (with the GL even...) he stands up on his hind legs and spins in circles and then paws at his nose trying to get it off...

so...

I suggested the "Easy Walk" harness for her to try as I have used it on Missy for the last few days and it's helped me manage her bike chasing tremendously so far so I figured it would help her with Yukon...

He's 80 pounds and standing on his hindlegs (when he spins in circles with the GL on) he is her height...

well... he's landed on his back three times doing that, this time with the Easy Walk harness on, but is just fine...

What should she do? Help!!

Dlilly

Honored Member
Harnesses and head collars should be used to help with teaching the dog to walk on a loose leash. (You can't teach a dog that's dragging you down the road) Make sure you tell them to keep up with her training, and to reward her when she is walking on a loose leash or when she gives them eye contact! I always reward my dogs for eye contact and it's come in handy plenty of times!

Watch Kikopup's leash walking videos too!

-You probably already know this so just ignore it if you do. ;)-

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Harnesses and head collars should be used to help with teaching the dog to walk on a loose leash. (You can't teach a dog that's dragging you down the road) Make sure you tell them to keep up with her training, and to reward her when she is walking on a loose leash or when she gives them eye contact! I always reward my dogs for eye contact and it's come in handy plenty of times!

Watch Kikopup's leash walking videos too!

-You probably already know this so just ignore it if you do. ;)-
Yes, I know this, but it's helpful to read what to do again, as Missy is further along in her training. :) Thanks Dlilly!!

By the way, how's Rory's training coming along? :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi MissyBC,​
There's really no reason why your friend's dog can't wear a gentle leader. I understand that the dog might not like it at first, but you can't let him dictate whether he wears it or not by him acting up.

Here is what I would suggest that you do, begin by building a STRONG positive association to the gentle leader. You put it on, give a treat, take it off, treat. Then put it on, play a game of tug, take it off. You want the dog to associate pleasure to wearing the gentle leader.​
Then, bring treats with you on walks and give the dog a treat when he's walking without making a fuss. If he acts up, then place your hand near the gentle leader and redirect his head to go forward. You don't want to give him any time trying to take it off (even though he can't).

Within a week this should no longer be an issue.​

threenorns

just to say, i have experience that isn't so good with the Halti (same thing, different brand):

i took dandy in to the pet shop when he was about 18mo old . the lady put it on him bec he was great - sitting there watching everything with great interest.

30 seconds later, three of us were piled on top of him trying to get him to stay still long enough to get it off him. he was completely and utterly hysterical (but didn't even try to bite anybody - kept his mouth tightly clamped the entire time but we did get banged good with his nose).

"never put one on him ever again," was the verdict from both the saleslady and the shop owner. the vet's verdict was a lot more expensive - pulled muscles in neck and shoulder. she said some dogs have very sensitive muzzles and just can't tolerate the pressure from the strap.