Hello From Me And Kali :)

Hello everyone! I'm glad I found this forum and I hope it will be my inspiration for learning new tricks with my dog :)
I'm not a dog trainer and my knowledge is very limited, but fortunately I have smart girl who is always ready to learn new tricks so she is pushing me to learn more. I have learned that I'm using luring method (didn't know that when we started :D ), sometimes shaping but luring is most effective because she learned to look for my cue. She is 4,5 years old black GSD

She knows lots of stuff, not like some dogs here but we will learn more :) I'm most proud on her precision when handling small objects/shapes, I'll be posting some videos on Dog Tricks section.

Ok, that's it from me now, I have a lot of reading to do ;)

PS. my name is Jelena and I'm from Serbia (Europe)
PPS. sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language

running_dog

Honored Member
Hello everyone! I'm glad I found this forum and I hope it will be my inspiration for learning new tricks with my dog :)
I'm not a dog trainer and my knowledge is very limited, but fortunately I have smart girl who is always ready to learn new tricks so she is pushing me to learn more. I have learned that I'm using luring method (didn't know that when we started :D ), sometimes shaping but luring is most effective because she learned to look for my cue. She is 4,5 years old black GSD

She knows lots of stuff, not like some dogs here but we will learn more :) I'm most proud on her precision when handling small objects/shapes, I'll be posting some videos on Dog Tricks section.

Ok, that's it from me now, I have a lot of reading to do ;)

PS. my name is Jelena and I'm from Serbia (Europe)
PPS. sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language
Hi Jelena, welcome to DTA. Your dog is absolutely gorgeous and it sounds like she is clever too! The photos are superb.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your videos. You might enjoy joining in with our trick challenges though we are going rather slowly on them at the moment, we've currently got a wide circles trick challenge and a kind of pre-beginners freestyle routine challenge.

Also your English is very nearly perfect (y):cool:

:LOL: well, there are some tricks that she has done so many times, she just can't go wrong.

She knows:
  1. Her name :)
  2. Come
  3. Sit
  4. Down
  5. Wait/Stay
  6. Go to (place/object/person she knows by name)
  7. Stand
  8. Stand and stay in the middle of movement (I do not know how to phrase this sentence better)
  9. Heel, between my legs
  10. Heel, left side
  11. Heel, right side (backward)
  12. Go around me
  13. Front to heel turn
  14. Jump over
  15. Jump through
  16. Jump on (anything, literally :D ) and stay there
  17. Aport, over and through obstacles
  18. Touch any target with her paw
  19. Give me your paw/give me your other paw
  20. Show me your belly
  21. Take a bow
  22. Spin
  23. Touch your nose
  24. Speak
  25. Look at me
  26. Look at (any object she knows by name)
  27. Find and fetch (by name)
  28. Search (any object)
  29. Take and hold different objects
  30. Put anything in any container
  31. Pick up the trash and put it in a trash bin
  32. Leave it/drop it
  33. Open doors with paws or nose
  34. Close the door
  35. Go backwards
  36. Pee :D (and other one :whistle:) you can see "pee" command at he end of previous video, and I wont record the "other" command :D
  37. Go to the bathtub
  38. Long distance commands
  39. Hand signals for certain commands
  40. Hold (anything) on your nose/head
  41. Do you want to eat? (she goes to her bowl)
  42. Do you want to go outside? (she goes to the front door)
  43. Snow!, chases snowflakes (same goes for raindrops)
  44. Go to bed (our bed)
hmm, that's what I can think of, for now...

She sort of knows:
  1. My and my boyfriends name, sometimes she mixes up when there is more people in the room
  2. Names of her toys, she knows but she prefers some toys over others so she picks them first :rolleyes:
  3. Go to the window, she knows what that mean but doesn't always go
  4. Skateboard, she knows how to stand on 3 or 4 legs and to stay on if the skateboard is moving, but we are still working on her driving the skateboard by herself
  5. Find and give me my slippers, I'm not sure why I have to repeat that several times before she finally do it :confused:
  6. Go forward, schutzhund style, still working on that
  7. Bring me your leash, same problem as with "bring me my slippers" :D
Sometimes she can understand full sentences which contain more than one 1 command. Few weeks ago she was on her bed, I was sitting by my computer and I turn around and saw my nail clipper on my bed. I was so lazy to get up and took a chance and told her to bring it to me. I said " Kali, could you please go to my bed, take a nail clipper and bring it to me?" ... and she did :LOL: :ROFLMAO: I know that she knows where my bed is, and I suppose she took nail clipper because it was only object on the bed, anyhow I was stunned and proud at the same time :love:

kassidybc

Experienced Member
:LOL: well, there are some tricks that she has done so many times, she just can't go wrong.

She knows:
  1. Her name :)
  2. Come
  3. Sit
  4. Down
  5. Wait/Stay
  6. Go to (place/object/person she knows by name)
  7. Stand
  8. Stand and stay in the middle of movement (I do not know how to phrase this sentence better)
  9. Heel, between my legs
  10. Heel, left side
  11. Heel, right side (backward)
  12. Go around me
  13. Front to heel turn
  14. Jump over
  15. Jump through
  16. Jump on (anything, literally :D ) and stay there
  17. Aport, over and through obstacles
  18. Touch any target with her paw
  19. Give me your paw/give me your other paw
  20. Show me your belly
  21. Take a bow
  22. Spin
  23. Touch your nose
  24. Speak
  25. Look at me
  26. Look at (any object she knows by name)
  27. Find and fetch (by name)
  28. Search (any object)
  29. Take and hold different objects
  30. Put anything in any container
  31. Pick up the trash and put it in a trash bin
  32. Leave it/drop it
  33. Open doors with paws or nose
  34. Close the door
  35. Go backwards
  36. Pee :D (and other one :whistle:) you can see "pee" command at he end of previous video, and I wont record the "other" command :D
  37. Go to the bathtub
  38. Long distance commands
  39. Hand signals for certain commands
  40. Hold (anything) on your nose/head
  41. Do you want to eat? (she goes to her bowl)
  42. Do you want to go outside? (she goes to the front door)
  43. Snow!, chases snowflakes (same goes for raindrops)
  44. Go to bed (our bed)
hmm, that's what I can think of, for now...

She sort of knows:
  1. My and my boyfriends name, sometimes she mixes up when there is more people in the room
  2. Names of her toys, she knows but she prefers some toys over others so she picks them first :rolleyes:
  3. Go to the window, she knows what that mean but doesn't always go
  4. Skateboard, she knows how to stand on 3 or 4 legs and to stay on if the skateboard is moving, but we are still working on her driving the skateboard by herself
  5. Find and give me my slippers, I'm not sure why I have to repeat that several times before she finally do it :confused:
  6. Go forward, schutzhund style, still working on that
  7. Bring me your leash, same problem as with "bring me my slippers" :D
Sometimes she can understand full sentences which contain more than one 1 command. Few weeks ago she was on her bed, I was sitting by my computer and I turn around and saw my nail clipper on my bed. I was so lazy to get up and took a chance and told her to bring it to me. I said " Kali, could you please go to my bed, take a nail clipper and bring it to me?" ... and she did :LOL: :ROFLMAO: I know that she knows where my bed is, and I suppose she took nail clipper because it was only object on the bed, anyhow I was stunned and proud at the same time :love:
Very impressive list of tricks! She sounds like she's a very smart girl!

running_dog

Honored Member
A brilliant selection of tricks (y)
Kali's distance work is great - I really enjoyed watching the linked videos (I've watched 2 and I'm hoping to come back and watch the rest when I have more time).
I think you might be interested in some of the videos that SRdogtrainer posted about training River to understand complex sentences commands. I can only remember where one of them is at the moment and I've linked to her post here. I'll try and remember where the other one is that I'm thinking of!

Thank you! I have watched the video, River is great :) and sooo calm!

When we work, she understands complex sentences commands, it is basically command after command for her. What I meant, when I talk to her like with human being :D and I mention few commands in that sentence, she understands and do them even if we never worked that before. She connects what she understand from my bla-blabla-bla-go-blabla-take-blabla-bed-bla-blla-bring me :ROFLMAO:

We had a rough week behind us... she was put in general anesthesia for her hip and elbow x-rays, few days later she hurt her carpal joint, and beside that she got a fever. Sunday night her condition got much worse, her fever got so high we thought we will lose her... all tests came clear but they gave her therapy for ehrlichiosis because she had babesiosis in december and there was a slight chance that she had ehrlichiosis even that tests came clear. Three days of new therapy and she is finally feeling little better.

She should be like new in few weeks and I hope we will participate in some trick challenge then.

running_dog

Honored Member
We had a rough week behind us... she was put in general anesthesia for her hip and elbow x-rays, few days later she hurt her carpal joint, and beside that she got a fever. Sunday night her condition got much worse, her fever got so high we thought we will lose her... all tests came clear but they gave her therapy for ehrlichiosis because she had babesiosis in december and there was a slight chance that she had ehrlichiosis even that tests came clear. Three days of new therapy and she is finally feeling little better.

She should be like new in few weeks and I hope we will participate in some trick challenge then.
Oh Jelena! What an awful time you've been having with poor Kali. I'm so pleased to hear that she is on the mend again. Life is so fragile we can never take it for granted.

We'll look forward to Kali being able to be active and completely herself again.

running_dog

Honored Member
When we work, she understands complex sentences commands, it is basically command after command for her. What I meant, when I talk to her like with human being :D and I mention few commands in that sentence, she understands and do them even if we never worked that before. She connects what she understand from my bla-blabla-bla-go-blabla-take-blabla-bed-bla-blla-bring me :ROFLMAO:
I think that SRdogtrainer was trying to extend River's comprehension of human vocabulary rather than teaching these particular behaviours - building on what you describe as happening with Kali.

running_dog

Honored Member
My sweet girl died yesterday... it is too painful for me to bee here right now but I promise I'll be back one day...
I am so so sorry, I'm actually struggling to comprehend how such an incredibly beautiful lively active dog can be gone.
Even from the little time you have been on DTA I know you gave each other the very best of lives. I can't begin to imagine how hard the last week must have been for you and the aching hole that must be in your home and heart right now.

Thinking of you and looking forward to hearing from you in happier circumstances.

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh Jelena I'm so desparately sorry for you. I can feel so much, as I too lost a beautiful boy slightly younger than your beautiful girl. He too was smart, loving and well my adored boy. He was so healthy, happy and loving life, then he was struck down with an illness which was very hard to diagnose. Sadly, after just two and a half months he was diagnosed I thought I had 2 to 6 weeks with him, but the next day he went into seizures. I rushed him to the vets but because of his incurable cancer, he was assisted across the Bridge.

I know it's an old cliche, but time does heal, although I still even 18 months later cannot watch his videos without crying my eyes out. But you will find another beautiful doggy will come into your life, no he or she will not replace Kali, that's something which isn't going to happen, but he or she will fill the hole and start a new chapter in your life.

Take care, take time to grieve, I understand you do not feel like being here at present, but one day we all hope you'll be back telling us about your new baby.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I'm so so sorry to hear this, I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. You are in my prayers.