Getting Toys Thought A Blanket

CJSophie

My 2 yr old Jack Russell Sophie, has this strange habit. We move place to place and stay at hotel quite often so we usually play with her in a bed. She will bring her favorite toy or ball of the day to us to play with her, after we play, sometimes we have to quit because there's something that we need to be doing. When we quit playing with her, she seems to play with herself by trying to get to her ball through the blankets on the bed. She doesn't bury them completely just enough so she can still see and know where the ball is but she will try to tug at the toy while its under the blanket. Can anyone explain why she does this.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I agree with Danielle, she probably just finds it fun. Are you asking us how to stop her from doing it? Or do you just want to know why she does it?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Most terriers were bred to chase small animals and dig them out of burrows, so this kind of play is right up her alley. Maybe you can devise some kind of collapsible tunnels to take with you on your road trips to keep life interesting for her. Making her hunt for her food like that would also burn lots of mental and physical energy.

CJSophie

well thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. I wasn't really looking for a cure, just a reasoning. It doesn't really bother me, just thought it was kinda strange.

MaryK

Honored Member
It's play, as Brody's Mom has said, terriers were originally bred to dig out (and kill YUCK) rats and other small rodents, so to her, hiding the ball is fun!

Like the idea of a tunnel for her, she'd adore that and it would keep her amused and mentally stimulated. Good one Brody's Mom(y)