Dog Trick Tutorial: Make The Face (video)

meganmotley

Hello!

Motley and I have made a tutorial to teach the adorable trick, "Make the Face". With this step-by-step video, your dog will learn a new trick that is sure to entertain friends, family and audiences alike (even yourself!) using the dog-friendly clicker training method!

Thanks for watching and we hope you enjoy! Also feel free to leave video responses of your dog "making the face", as we would love to see your results! :)

meganmotley

It's a whole lot of fun!! My favorite trick by far. ;) And definitely a fantastic excuse for the dirty windows, hahaha!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Good job Megan and Motley! Thanks for sharing. I'm in on this trick... hopefully! :) This will be Missy's trick #51 if I do participate. :D

Evie

Experienced Member
Think Evie and I might try this one too - looks like a good one for a rainy day and I'm counting on there being lots of rainy days in the very near future!!!!!

meganmotley

Hmm...maybe try teaching him to target your hand and then once he understands the cue, ask for the target to a sticky note? That way he understands the behavior and won't be tempted to run away with it! lol!

Dlilly

Honored Member
I started it with Brody. He keeps picking up the sticky note and running away!
I taught my dogs to touch the paper by using shaping, I didn't leave a treat on the paper. (She looks at the paper, treat, moves towards the paper, treat, touches the paper, treat, ect.) I would feed the treat above the paper so she doesn't looks at me for a treat. Maybe that will help you so the paper doesn't smell like treats and he isn't tempted to run off with it...

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I already had him targeting my hand, so I put the sticky on my hand and had him touch it. That was fine, but if I put the sticky on the floor or anywhere else, he picks it up and runs away. He did the same thing when I was trying to do nose work. I had him target the saucer with his nose. If it was in my hand or on my lap, he would touch with his nose. On the floor, he'd pick it up with his teeth. Once I tried putting the tea bag on it, he started scratching at it and ripped the tea bag.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Use a plate (not platic or paper a hard one) and try to click for his nose and not his teeth. When I first taught Shiloh touch she would bite the target, so I used a plate. She didn't like biting the plate so she eventually started to touch it with her nose.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Use a plate (not platic or paper a hard one) and try to click for his nose and not his teeth. When I first taught Shiloh touch she would bite the target, so I used a plate. She didn't like biting the plate so she eventually started to touch it with her nose.
Yeah, Brody bites the plate too. That's his default behavior when I present any prop. Bite first, ask questions later!