Delicious Pup-cakes

My-Dog-Tanner

My dog Tanner absolutely love these treats, they take a little bit of time to do in the beginning, but once you have done them a few times it is very easy to do. I encourage you to try them at least once and see how much your dog loves them!

Ingredients:

1 large apple
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey 2 eggs
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

For the Frosting
8 oz Neufchatel Cheese (lowfat cream cheese)
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
2-3 tablespoons flour

Cooking Instruction:

Preheat oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C). Grease muffin tins.
Core, slice and mince the apple (use a food processor if you have one). Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, blend together the yogurt, water, oil, honey, and eggs, then stir in the apple and cheese. Add to the flour mixture and stir until mixed.
Spoon into the muffin tins, filling each cup about three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let rest in the muffin tins for a few minutes, then remove and set aside to cool.
For the frosting, combine the Neufchatel cheese (at room temperature), honey, and yogurt until smooth. Add enough flour to thicken the frosting to a good spreading consistency. Frost the pupcakes and you're ready for a doggone good party!

This recipe will make about 16 to 18 Pup-Cakes. If you prefer a single layer cake, spoon the batter on a sheet pan and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Let them cool, frost and decorate...

Enjoy!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
sounds yummy! but i'd leave out alll that flour, and either use veggies or oats(not oatmeal, but raw oats) instead of flour. I just strive for "flour free" treats for dogs.

Raw oats are healthier, and more absorbing/thickening, than refinded flour is, so we can get by with using less.

Also, no reason in the world to add baking powder or baking soda to dog treats.
nope. You are cooking for DOGS! they do not care at all if the treat is fluffy.

BUT I LIKE THAT YOU ARE NOT USING STORE BOUGHT TREATS!! which are almost always provably toxic for dogs!! All your recipes, are better than store bought treats!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"So you can do this without baking powder? Maybe Ill try...'//

not for DOGS....nope. Nor flour, either. Remember, whenever one is making treats for dogs, they should keep thinking, this is not a human treat, this is for DOGS.:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i just never give my dog flour.
Dogs were never ever ever intended to eat flour,
and i am not convinced humans were, either.

If you feel the same way, that no dog ever needs flour, scroll up and read rely #2 above. Many dogs will scratch if they are given WHEAT flour, too.

One can use oats, or veggies, to thicken up a recipe, instead of flour. When i make dog treats, i use veggies + meat, and that is about it.
Dog treats should be pretty simple, with very very few ingredients, imo.

Now, when i cook for HUMANS, YES, yes, i do use tons of ingredients, and yes, i do care if the recipe rises up correctly, etc etc.
but i cook differently for dogs than humans.

I don't think flour is toxic to dogs, but, it is not something a dog should eat every day. My dog eats absolutely anything,
anything at all,
and i bet my dog would LOVE this recipe,
but, i'd take out the flour, the wheat flour, the baking powder, baking soda and the honey, and i bet it is a great recipe then. I will try a batch!!