Cyber Rally-o

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Anyone here doing Rally? How about Cyber Rally? There are no rally courses or trials in my area, and I think Rally sounds like fun so I got Pam Dennison's book and plan to teach Calvin some Rally moves (the swing finish and Schutzhund turns are very impressive looking to others!) and see if we want to go ahead and "compete" online :)

The swing finish:

Schutzhund turn:

This youtube user has some great videos on teaching Rally moves:

Here's a beautiful bit of work from a cyber rally participant:
I love the great big goofy dog-smile on the face of the dog in this video :) There is nothing that sells something as well as a happy looking dog!

Anyone else out there interested in Rally?

sara

Staff member
ME ME PICK ME! LOL

I certainly am, and I do believe Oliver's good enough to compete, except he'd spend his time trying to kill all the other dogs, so I've never considered it, just taught him as many moves as I have seen :)

Honored Member
Holly is going to do Rally-O. Our obedience trainer keeps saying we should do it and at the start of most classes we do a little practice course (mostly turns, presents and a stay where you walk around the dog, at the moment).

In August our obedience trainer is running a fun day for all her students where we will have games and fun obedience trials and stuff, so I'll see how that goes before I properly decide if we will do official Rally-O or not.
Although at the moment it looks like we probably will (unless Holly decides she hates it).

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Ok there's a yahoo group for people that want to join, I joined and asked about accommodations for deaf/VI dogs and they're down with that. They're ok with people who want to do everything on leash for safety reasons too. I printed out the level 1 courses and will pick through and see what might work for us. In the mean time, we're working on our pivot and schutzhund turn :) Calvin can already do the "place" and "finish" and "front". Orange cones are pretty cheap on Amazon, but you can use anything as place markers.

Honored Member
Novice Rally-O has to be done on leash here (it actually makes it harder because you have to make sure it doesn't get tangled)

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Novice Rally-O has to be done on leash here (it actually makes it harder because you have to make sure it doesn't get tangled)
Yeah, I know it's on leash for the lower levels and off for the others. For CRO, it's on or off for all of them as it's whatever's better for the dog and handler. If you have a dog-aggressive dog, for example, you might never want to let go of the leash (depending where you're filming), whereas if you are a human with mobility issues, it might be easier to not use a leash at all.

Anneke

Honored Member
I like what I see!!! Sure wish I had more time on my hands for training, but right now I'm working like 10 hours a day.
There is no rally-o around here either and I have been wanting to do this. So I will keep an eye on this thread and join in if I can;)
Jinx knows the shutzhund turn. But not the swing. I have always trained her to come circle around into heel. So that would be a new challenge for us(have to think of a new cue for that...;))

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
SO, i've been fairly dense in the head all week,:ROFLMAO:
is there really any difference between heelwork for doggie dancing,
and
rally-O?

It seems in rally-O, the dog has to sit and face you at the end,
does dog in rally-O have to keep his eyes up on his owner while in tight heel, or no?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Is their a website explaining exactly what rally-O is? I would love to learn more about it so I can teach it to Missy. I would perticipate in the Cyber Rally-O but I don't have money. Man I really need a job. For any one who has not got their learners words of advice don't be stupid like me and avoid getting a learners Get it as soon as u can. Sure driving is scary but when your my age (17 almost 18) you'll regret not having your liscnes. No Liscens= no job(unless your parents can drive you).
Sorry for the little derail back to Cyber Rally-O.

Dice Smith

Is their a website explaining exactly what rally-O is? I would love to learn more about it so I can teach it to Missy. I would perticipate in the Cyber Rally-O but I don't have money. Man I really need a job. For any one who has not got their learners words of advice don't be stupid like me and avoid getting a learners Get it as soon as u can. Sure driving is scary but when your my age (17 almost 18) you'll regret not having your liscnes. No Liscens= no job(unless your parents can drive you).
Sorry for the little derail back to Cyber Rally-O.
southerngirl I totally hear you! I'm 20 and still don't have my license.:( However its because my parents don't want me to get one not because I don't want to O_o (although driving does seem scary lol). Sorry for the derail! :whistle:

southerngirl

Honored Member
It scares the heck out of me. My mom is teaching me. I've only practiced in my small neighbor hood and empty parking lots. It is getting easier and I'm a bit less nervous every time I drive. I want my license really badly(mostly so I can take Missy places and get a job to buy Missy things:giggle:) it just scares me.
my parents don't want me to get one
lol my parents are driving me nuts about practicing enough so I can get one in September:rolleyes:

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
For more info on regular rally, you can see the APDT site for their rule book and explanations. Cyber Rally also has info. There are great videos on youtube of the cyber rally o courses and demos of all of the moves. The user name for the official stuff is cyberrallyo. Also, you can join the yahoogroup, it's a great source of info. As for money, you can always do the routines for the sake of training them. If you film them, you can always turn them in when you have the $20 to spend later on -- I don't think there will be such major rule changes that you can't submit videos a while after recording them.

So I'm going to register with Cyber Rally, I think, because even though registration isn't expensive, I'm rather thrifty and will feel compelled to compete once I've 'invested.'

Cyber Rally has two classes, one is Traditional and one is Performance, the main difference being that dogs in the latter have to perform at heel on both the left and right side. I'm wondering if I want to deal with the confusion of hand signs on both sides or not ...

Anyone else going to register? What do you think of Traditional vs. Performance?

Dice Smith

i'M ACYUALLY LOOKING U
For more info on regular rally, you can see the APDT site for their rule book and explanations. Cyber Rally also has info. There are great videos on youtube of the cyber rally o courses and demos of all of the moves. The user name for the official stuff is cyberrallyo. Also, you can join the yahoogroup, it's a great source of info. As for money, you can always do the routines for the sake of training them. If you film them, you can always turn them in when you have the $20 to spend later on -- I don't think there will be such major rule changes that you can't submit videos a while after recording them.

So I'm going to register with Cyber Rally, I think, because even though registration isn't expensive, I'm rather thrifty and will feel compelled to compete once I've 'invested.'

Cyber Rally has two classes, one is Traditional and one is Performance, the main difference being that dogs in the latter have to perform at heel on both the left and right side. I'm wondering if I want to deal with the confusion of hand signs on both sides or not ...

Anyone else going to register? What do you think of Traditional vs. Performance?
I'm actually looking up rally o on APDT and cyber rally right now. I don't have any money at all right now lol but I think I will begin training Kodi in this sport. It's always seemed so fascinating and Kodi is great at heelwork. I've always wanted to compete with him in agility, disc dog and take him to a sheepherding place to have him tested but since he began showing reactive aggression none of that has been possible and I had no way to get a ride to those events anyways. But being able to train at our own pace, register when we're ready and submit the videos on our time and money is awesome. Finally a dog sport we can compete in! Now I just need to start putting my application in places lol. As for traditional vs. performance I personally like the idea of performance better just because Kodi already knows to heel on both sides and he actually favors heeling on the right if the choice is his. I'm so beyond ecstatic that this may be the sport I've been looking for all along!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
I'm so beyond ecstatic that this may be the sport I've been looking for all along!
Yay! Join the yahoogroup, you can ask questions about any of the courses there and there are links to all of the instructional videos. For Level 1, there's no difference in Performance or Traditional actually so I think Calvin and I will just focus on that right now. I think I'll just pick out a course that has most of the signs, and then train off of that.