Banned Dog Breeds

southerngirl

Honored Member
For school I have to write a Persuasive Speech and I have chosen banned dog breeds. If you guys know information about this topic please share it. Also if you know some good articles that would be great to. Thanks for you help in advanced.:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Great subject kudos to you Southerngirl. One dog stands out to me, because I signed, shared and did everything possible to save him - sadly to no avail - his name was Lennox. Here's a url http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/pets/9391766/Lennox-the-dog-humanely-put-to-sleep.html with related urls.

I cannot find his site, I do know his owners were so upset they did take it down for a while. This dog died because of the banned dog legislation, for NO other reason than he was a mix of banned dogs. Sorry will look for more later but just thinking of Lennox had made me cry again.

running_dog

Honored Member
In the case of Lennox (and the rest of the dogs in the UK) the situation is far worse than a "banned breed". As well as banning pit bulls and the Japanese Tosa they banned the "type" so if a pedigree Staffordshire bull terrier just happens to have longer legs it is at risk of being impounded. Lennox probably didn't have any pit bull in him, he was quite possibly an American bulldog (legal) crossed with a labrador (legal - honest!) but he was still designated a "pit bull type".

The UK legislation was a knee jerk reaction and it stinks! You can read it here.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Southerngirl, pubmed.gov is a great place to look for peer-reviewed scientific articles on everything. I would be happy to help you translate any of the technical 'babble' if there were an article you were interested in :), just PM me. Here are a few:
Vet J. 2010 Dec;186(3):292-8. Epub 2009 Oct 29.
Dog bites in The Netherlands: a study of victims, injuries, circumstances and aggressors to support evaluation of breed specific legislation.

Cornelissen JM, Hopster H.
Source

Wageningen UR Livestock Research, Lelystad, The Netherlands. [email protected]
Abstract

As part of an evaluation of Dutch breed specific legislation, data were collected from dog bite victims (1078) and dog owners (6139) using Internet surveys. The incidence rate of dog bites and details of incidents (victims, injuries, circumstances and aggressors) are reported and the justification for using breed specific measurements to deal with dog bites are considered. For aggressors, attack records for breed groups and popular breeds were established by calculating breed risk indices using a reference population. Several breeds and breed groups were over- and under-represented in the biting population and there was a mismatch between risk indices and the then-current legislation. Mitigation strategies should not be based on attack records (since this would lead to the rejection of a significant proportion of the canine population) but on the circumstances of the incidents. Preventative measures must focus on a better understanding of how to handle dogs.
-------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2834488/

--------------
Ann Surg. 2011 Apr;253(4):791-7.
Mortality, mauling, and maiming by vicious dogs.

Bini JK, Cohn SM, Acosta SM, McFarland MJ, Muir MT, Michalek JE; TRISAT Clinical Trials Group.
Source

Department of Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, USA.
Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Maiming and death due to dog bites are uncommon but preventable tragedies. We postulated that patients admitted to a level I trauma center with dog bites would have severe injuries and that the gravest injuries would be those caused by pit bulls.
DESIGN:

We reviewed the medical records of patients admitted to our level I trauma center with dog bites during a 15-year period. We determined the demographic characteristics of the patients, their outcomes, and the breed and characteristics of the dogs that caused the injuries.
RESULTS:

Our Trauma and Emergency Surgery Services treated 228 patients with dog bite injuries; for 82 of those patients, the breed of dog involved was recorded (29 were injured by pit bulls). Compared with attacks by other breeds of dogs, attacks by pit bulls were associated with a higher median Injury Severity Scale score (4 vs. 1; P = 0.002), a higher risk of an admission Glasgow Coma Scale score of 8 or lower (17.2% vs. 0%; P = 0.006), higher median hospital charges ($10,500 vs. $7200; P = 0.003), and a higher risk of death (10.3% vs. 0%; P = 0.041).
CONCLUSIONS:

Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the US mortality rates related to dog bites.

-----

Remember, you'll have to address the arguments supporting breed bans in order to counteract them, hence the above article. It's clear that some dogs are stronger, faster, more agile, and can do significantly more damage through their bites. What is also clear is that dog bites are a failing of humans to control and restrain dangerous dogs, often accompanied by failings of socialization and recognition of signs of shyness, fear, or predatory aggression. Furthermore, banning certain breeds of dogs doesn't ensure that mixed breeds or other breeds won't be put in the same situations with the same people, and bite.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Let us know how it goes. When I was in 4H in high school I actually competed on a State level with a presentation on Pit Bulls: Man's Best Friend or Worst Enemy. This was in 1992 before BBL became so big but it caused a ruckus even then...

MaryK

Honored Member
In the case of Lennox (and the rest of the dogs in the UK) the situation is far worse than a "banned breed". As well as banning pit bulls and the Japanese Tosa they banned the "type" so if a pedigree Staffordshire bull terrier just happens to have longer legs it is at risk of being impounded. Lennox probably didn't have any pit bull in him, he was quite possibly an American bulldog (legal) crossed with a labrador (legal - honest!) but he was still designated a "pit bull type".

The UK legislation was a knee jerk reaction and it stinks! You can read it here.
Thank you, sadly I know about it, I'm English and keep up with everything back home.

Have signed so many petitions etc. written (or fwd to friends back home if I couldn't get through) emails to various Politicians, Councils etc.to attempt to stop the knee jerk reaction laws being passed.

Makes me feel ashamed to be English. For an allegedly 'dog loving nation' the laws are a total disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: And I used to say here that the U.K. would never have such disgusting laws - they have them here in South Australia too - eating humble pie now and hanging my head in shame!:mad::mad:

MaryK

Honored Member
Southerngirl get your facts right, be very sure of everything you say 'quote' and above all, as I know you will, write, speak from the heart!

kcmetric

Taken from another site:

For anyone reading this outside the U.S., the dogs listed below are not NOT UNIFORMLY banned/restricted across the entire U.S. This means that the breeds listed below are banned or restricted in different places around the U.S., and that individual states, cities, counties or towns all make their own LOCAL LAWS - and those laws differ according to individual communities. Also - it's important to note that the list includes even MIXES of these breeds.

So - without further ado, courtesy of the RDOWS, here is the list of 75 - count 'em - SEVENTY FIVE - banned or restricted breeds .....................

1. AIREDALE TERRIER
2. AKBASH
3. AKITA
4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7. AMERICAN BULLDOG
8. AMERICAN HUSKY
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13. ARIKARA DOG
14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16. BELGIAN MALINOIS
17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18. BELGIAN TURVUREN
19. BLUE HEELER
20. BOERBUL
21. BORZOI
22. BOSTON TERRIER
23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24. BOXER
25. BULLDOG
26. BULL TERRIER
27. BULL MASTIFF
28. CANE CORSO
29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31. CHINESE SHAR PEI
32. CHOW-CHOW
33. COLORADO DOG
34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39. ESKIMO DOG
40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41. FILA BRASILIERO
42. FOX TERRIER
43. FRENCH BULLDOG
44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46. GREENLAND HUSKY
47. GREAT DANE
48. GREAT PYRANEES
49. ITALIAN MASTIFF
50. KANGAL DOG
51. KEESHOND
52. KOMONDOR
53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54. KUVAZ
55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56. LEONBERGER
57. MASTIFF
58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59. NEWFOUNDLAND
60. OTTERHOUND
61. PRESA DE CANARIO
62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63. PUG
64. ROTTWEILER
65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66. SAINT BERNARD
67. SAMOYED
68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69. SIBERIAN HUSKY
70. SPANISH MASTIFF
71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72. TIMBER SHEPHERD
73. TOSA INU
74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75. WOLF SPITZ

Dogster

Honored Member
OMD.... Is this true???:eek::eek: This is so STUPID!!!! How can they ban/restrict 75 breeds?!?!?!?! My goodness.... I wonder WHY all these breeds were restricted/banned....:eek::(:mad:

southerngirl

Honored Member
OMD.... Is this true???:eek::eek: This is so STUPID!!!! How can they ban/restrict 75 breeds?!?!?!?! My goodness.... I wonder WHY all these breeds were restricted/banned....:eek::(:mad:
It's not in every state. For example Connecticut will have just the Husky banned while Florida has the pug banned. More than likely in the state that dog is banned that breed became very popular so people who didn't know anything about the breed got it and because they didn't train the dog properly it bit some one. So more than likely they are banned for the same reason Pit Bulls are Ignorance.

kcmetric

There are a lot of strange reasons. One county requires that dogs wear diapers when not in their yard; I forget which one it is though :X3:

Evie

Experienced Member
Taken from another site:

For anyone reading this outside the U.S., the dogs listed below are not NOT UNIFORMLY banned/restricted across the entire U.S. This means that the breeds listed below are banned or restricted in different places around the U.S., and that individual states, cities, counties or towns all make their own LOCAL LAWS - and those laws differ according to individual communities. Also - it's important to note that the list includes even MIXES of these breeds.

So - without further ado, courtesy of the RDOWS, here is the list of 75 - count 'em - SEVENTY FIVE - banned or restricted breeds .....................

1. AIREDALE TERRIER
2. AKBASH
3. AKITA
4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7. AMERICAN BULLDOG
8. AMERICAN HUSKY
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13. ARIKARA DOG
14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16. BELGIAN MALINOIS
17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18. BELGIAN TURVUREN
19. BLUE HEELER
20. BOERBUL
21. BORZOI
22. BOSTON TERRIER
23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24. BOXER
25. BULLDOG
26. BULL TERRIER
27. BULL MASTIFF
28. CANE CORSO
29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31. CHINESE SHAR PEI
32. CHOW-CHOW
33. COLORADO DOG
34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39. ESKIMO DOG
40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41. FILA BRASILIERO
42. FOX TERRIER
43. FRENCH BULLDOG
44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46. GREENLAND HUSKY
47. GREAT DANE
48. GREAT PYRANEES
49. ITALIAN MASTIFF
50. KANGAL DOG
51. KEESHOND
52. KOMONDOR
53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54. KUVAZ
55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56. LEONBERGER
57. MASTIFF
58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59. NEWFOUNDLAND
60. OTTERHOUND
61. PRESA DE CANARIO
62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63. PUG
64. ROTTWEILER
65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66. SAINT BERNARD
67. SAMOYED
68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69. SIBERIAN HUSKY
70. SPANISH MASTIFF
71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72. TIMBER SHEPHERD
73. TOSA INU
74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75. WOLF SPITZ

Uh... bottom line is that you're not allowed to travel while owning a dog over there in fear of it being taken and 'destroyed'?? O_o

HA! I can still have Evie! She's not on that list.

But on the more serious side, that's terrible. I know in Australia (or maybe it's just some parts of aus, i can't remember) that once again pit bull 'type' dogs are illegal to breed from but I don't think its illegal to have them .. yet. I'd love to do some research on this right now for you but I have a much more pressing paper to write on muscle atrophy and sarcopenia :sick:

MaryK

Honored Member
That list is beyond words horrendous!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't be able to have either of my dogs, Zeus is a heeler and Ra Kismet has some of the breeds named.

Pugs??? On someone is having a joke surely a Pug???? Australian Cattle Dog??? German Shepherds, Airedales I'd better stop I cannot believe it's all true!

Evie, South Australia has a NO Pit Bull or Pit Bull cross law the will take the dog and 'destroy' the dog or a cross of that breed for no other reason than it's allegedly a Pit Bull or PB X plus debarking I have found out is still legal in South Australia :mad::mad: . Victoria you may have a Pit Bull but it MUST be neutered, in other words no breeding Pit Bulls. I did hear that Western Australia you may only have German Shepherds if neutered but not too sure as to how true this is, though do know it was the case a few years ago, may have been repealed by now.