Are There Really "indestructable" Dog Toys Out There?

MaryK

Honored Member
Wow! Even Zeus "Champion Toy Destroyer" hasn't managed, yet, to destroy the black Kong - that's the toughest of all the Kongs. Though in all honesty he doesn't seem to like the taste or maybe it's the smell - I find Kongs have a strange smell, which to me anyway, isn't all that pleasant.

Have you tried to Black Kong? The only other indestructible toy I know off is the Aussie Staffy Ball but I wouldn't recommend it as it's so hard it caused injury to Ra Kismet's face, quite a nasty gash, and also I got hit with it in the shin and ankle and limped around for a couple of days. I was actually nervous of getting hit in the face with that ball as it could do serious damage, like a broken nose/teeth etc. And it's quite expensive - almost AU$100.00 it's now just an expensive white elephant.

Mutt

Experienced Member
I don't believe there is any such thing. LOL!
Same here.

Though I don't have toydestructors at all, LOL.
I don't think you can expect that a dog won't kill a toy if he has to enjoy himself alone with it (dogs are mouthers so...).
Here every game I do together with them.
Kongs in my opinion are to put food in and let the dog eat them empty (I don't know if your dog destructs the kong in the process?). Balls are for fetching/searching/chasing and ropes are for pulling/fetching.
If I just give the dogs the toys they will run into the yard and chew on it (which is with many toys very dangerous), so I don't do that (bones are for chewing).

If you'd like someting to keep your dog busy I'd recommand a Kong Wobbler (food dispenser), though in the beginning you have to guide your dog not to try to destroy the Wobbler.

Honored Member
Holly ripped a piece off her first kong. She was still a puppy and we got her a small red kong (not even a puppy one) but she managed to rip a chunk off the top of it the second time we gave it to her.
So we up-graded to a medium black kong (we just had to pay the difference since there was a chance the red kong had a fault). It's still good, a little scratched but that's it.
So when we got a kong for Lewis (last week) we got another black medium one since we can't garantee that Holly wont get hold of it.

Amateur

Experienced Member
no toy is indestructible - but some are more indestructible than others
have you tried deer antlers - not exactly a toy but good for keeping them occupied - always get the larger size
our little puppy was chewing on the antler sized for the big dogs

raymond upton

I had the same problem with jerry he tore up every toy i got him except the black kongs which he won't touch unless i stuff it with treats of peanut butter then one day my wife brought home a toy made by hartz called the tough play line of toys I told my wife that will last less than a minute but to my surprise he didn't try to destroy it just played with it for hours he could destroy it if he wanted to but the great part is he doesn't even try to destroy them and theyre cheap under five dollars and come in a variety of shapes and colors and have squeakers in them they're the first toys i've found that he plays with and doesn't try to destroy he's had his first one since before christmas and it's as good as new still

charmedwolf

Staff member
It says that it is made of plastic so I would assume it's hard but I don't think it would be hard enough to break teeth. Most of my dog friends have them but my Boxers don't like them so I didn't get one.

Jolly balls are amazing too. We had a bunch of them at work that even though they were popped they were never really broken enough that it was a danger to the dogs.

sara

Staff member
Well, They're not advertised as indestructable, but the Chuck-it Ultra Ball certainly seems to be. I have the same 6 balls that I've had for 3 years (4 medium, and 2 small) and Mouse and Ollie are constantly chewing on them... they barely even have dents from their teeth... My friend got me on them because her Pitty (who is the most ball crazy dog I've ever seen) had not managed to kill his in 2 years, and he's got it with him 24/7 and chomps on it constantly. I think the secret to them is their squishy-ness, honestly :)

Amateur

Experienced Member
Well, They're not advertised as indestructable, but the Chuck-it Ultra Ball certainly seems to be. /quote]

ahhhhh .... no. :LOL:

Although I will say they certainly put up a good fight !!!
but eventually got punctured on the blue part and then split a little more each use. But they would be my top choice for a ball that wasnt hard as rock. Hank loved them and would squish/bite the heck out of them all the time. Longest lasting of the sort in my opinion too.

sara

Staff member
ahhhhh .... no. :LOL:

Although I will say they certainly put up a good fight !!!
but eventually got punctured on the blue part and then split a little more each use. But they would be my top choice for a ball that wasnt hard as rock. Hank loved them and would squish/bite the heck out of them all the time. Longest lasting of the sort in my opinion too.
neither Mouse nor Ollie even like the balls that are hard as rock. I have 2 kong balls, that never get played with... though my roommate's dog seems to like them. And my friend's pitty that couldn't wreck the chuck it? he wrecked the kong ball... So I would say they're tougher than the kong balls.

Amateur

Experienced Member
yeah the dogs dont care for the kong ball at all
I guess its all in how they treat it what lasts longer

MaryK

Honored Member
Zeus will not bother at all with Kong balls mainly due ,I suspect, because he just cannot get a good grip on them and destroy them. Ra Kismet will play with Kong toys, but much prefers inside the house, his large orange rubber ball, which HAS to be kept away from Zeus - otherwise it WILL be destroyed!:rolleyes:

threenorns

we have a word for kong in my house: "confetti".

it's also a pita to clean up: the little bits go bouncing and boinging all over the place if you sweep and if you vacuum, the bigger bits clog the hose. at least it makes it easier to find the dog poop in the back yard.