A Breakthrough! Backdoor Manners - Progress! :)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi there. MissyBC here.

I just did a quick 5? minute training session right before dinner with Missy. It was quick none the less. :)

I took some YUMMY treats, and my clicker out onto our back veranda, and Missy on leash inside the back door and did some door manners and "no pull" leash manners out the backdoor. Only out the backdoor!

She normally sits and waits for me to say her release word: "Okay!" before going out of doors with me. Which she did of course.

Her problem: She slinks past me about to search for squirrels and bark once I release her.

I've been using Okay! and "Touch" to keep her focused once released these days.

Once she was successful with those cues, she passed me and did her normal thing --> Search for squirrels and bark... :rolleyes:

No matter how hard she pulled to chase whatever it was she had her eyes on, I became a tree. :D

Well, seeing as the pulling and barking didn't get her anywhere... she decided to keep trying but to no avail nothing worked. What do you think she tried next? She decided to stop and turn around and come back to me... as soon as she did that, I clicked and treated her. After that she stayed with me on the veranda...

This is just a start of her training in the backyard. I have started over out in my backyard to get her back to being successful instead of letting her pull me off the veranda. (She used to do just that...) :oops:

YAY! Success!! (y)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I'm glad too! :D I had been letting her get away with pulling me off the veranda originally *tsk tsk*, but always had wanted to work on this... I'm working on the "5 minutes a day per session" rule now and it's hopefully going to pay off.

She seems to catch on a lot faster with short sessions anyway and it keeps her on her toes and excited and happy to work with me. :love:

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I just took Missy outside to do another quick training session (just to let her go out to the bathroom) and there was NO pulling me off the veranda. She turned around and went to "get in" with her "touch" first. Then I went off the veranda and released her with "okay" to follow me. YAY! Even more progress. :) Hopefully I can keep her going in this direction! (y)

MaryK

Honored Member
Yay! She's doing awesome. I think taking those 5 minute opportunities for training really add up.
They often work better with some dogs than one long session. And yes, they do add up, 15 minutes for just three five minute sessions per day x 7 = 105 minutes per week!:D(y)

MaryK

Honored Member
Dogster, another aside, went over and checked Shivon's art work, absolutely ADORABLE and yes, she does look like she's smiling and so proud of her work:love:

SD&B

Experienced Member
They often work better with some dogs than one long session. And yes, they do add up, 15 minutes for just three five minute sessions per day x 7 = 105 minutes per week!:D(y)
Over 100 minutes a week. Sounds like a good habit to get into. :D

Sundog and Barney both love love love long sessions, but I like to sneak in a lot of small training sessions. They seem to like those too.

Last night I took pictures of Sundog looking at the computer, so it looked like she was using it. She is so much fun. Just a quick little opportunity. A nice calm sit. And it gave me fun pictures.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2cf23b3127ccef1d021a2eb7900000030O00AbMmrRm3cMWIPbz4S/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=550/ry=400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2cf23b3127ccef1d1bc910ae000000030O00AbMmrRm3cMWIPbz4S/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=550/ry=400/

Attachments