Who Else Here Uses Dog Power?

Discussion in 'Dog Biking & Carting' started by karleee, Jan 11, 2012.

1. karleee Well-Known Member

who else has a dog powered bike??

I do ;)
    ARuffPatch and MaryK like this.

2. Dlilly Honored Member

Sadly, I don't. The roads here are hilly and people speed. (country roads are not safe!)

When I lived in the suburbs, I did try biking with Shiloh a few times. I stopped because I decided it was a bad idea. She wasn't taught to not chase birds, so you get the picture. :X3:
    MaryK likes this.
  3. southerngirl Honored Member

I ride my bike with Missy but she runs beside the bike. The main reason I don't let her pull is just because I don't want her to also I would be scared of her leash getting tangled or her getting in front of the tire and a thousand other ways one of could get hurt.
    MaryK likes this.
  4. running_dog Honored Member

I expect Zac to run loose leash beside the bike and most of the time he does :rolleyes: .
    If there is any likelihood of becoming dog powered we stop.
    MaryK likes this.
  5. karleee Well-Known Member

Well,I taught dazzle when to "pull" the bike,and when to "stop" ect :)
    MaryK likes this.
  6. Bosun Well-Known Member

One of my other dogs used to pull me on a scooter... great fun!
    MaryK and karleee like this.
  7. Anneke Honored Member

Out here in Holland dogs are not allowed to pull anything, accept for sleddogs.
    So I do cicle with my dogs, but they are not attached to my bike, although they do pull:D
    MaryK, doglover1234 and karleee like this.
  8. doglover1234 Active Member

I don't, I just let Murphy run next to my bike.
    MaryK likes this.
  9. doglover1234 Active Member

Murphy loves doing that!!!!;)
    MaryK likes this.
  10. KatieMarie Active Member

Kricket pulls wagons and she's pulls my brother on his skateboard and scooter..and I will let her run alongside my bike whenever I want to take the dog and the bike.
    MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  11. southerngirl Honored Member

Tried the skateboard thing, crashed and burned(Missy was fine she just ran for it):(
    MaryK likes this.
  12. MaryK Honored Member

I don't, reason I never learned to ride a bike, used ' four legged horse power more fun' and now, can't be bothered to learn to ride a bike. Plus roads around here are not safe, too many idiots who cannot even read entry or exit signs at the local gas station. Even walking you have to watch out:eek:
  13. jennyw Well-Known Member

I recently bought a WalkyDog attachment so that Jess can run alongside my bike, but have barely used it so far. I'm struggling to find a safe place to use it and to actually see if she likes being attached to the side of my bike!
    MaryK likes this.
  14. MaryK Honored Member

Understand about struggling to find a safe place to use a Walky Dog attachment. I don't ride bikes prefer horses (and no intention of learning because it's not safe around here) but partner does and we discussed getting one for Ra Kismet (Zeus would be horrified I mean all that extra work:ROFLMAO:) but decided against it because, like yourself, wouldn't be able to find safe enough places to actually use one.:(

With her liking it, you will probably have to start off slowly, in your driveway if possible, or garden and click/treat, which may be a bit tricky on a bike??
  15. rouen Experienced Member

In Dingo's younger years I use to bike with him everyday in the summer months. Now that he's getting older we only go once in a while. I'd like to do it more but the gravel/dirt roads actually are harder on his paws than pavement.
    I've taken Dasy a couple times, she likes it but not as much as Dingo.
    I use a home made outrigger, it's cheap to replace and I can fix it myself.

MaryK, have you thought about carting instead? Jim Walsh makes them in Aus. I was hoping Dasy would get bigger than she did so I could do that with my two.
  16. Puppylove Well-Known Member

I use dog power in the pool... just attach a harness and grab on... next thing I'm on the other side f the pool :)
    k9 crazed, ARuffPatch and MaryK like this.
  17. declanandjuno Member

I bikejor with my Samoyed almost every day. He loves it!

I want to get a cart some day, I just lack the funds right now.
    k9 crazed, MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  18. k9 crazed Experienced Member

I went for my first "Rocket" ride 2 weeks ago in this... It's my 10 years old- brand new Sacco. My family bought it for me 10 years ago then life happened and I never got it out of the box til finally 3 weeks ago my Son and I put it together.

Seems I jumped the gun! I had thought he knew stop!... Apparently, not when he is going full blast! I'm thinking he needs to learn it a whole lot better! Whoa!!!!
    Boy, what a rush though, he is fast!:ninja:
    Unfortunately on our maiden voyage I neglected to put the SD card in my camera so no photos or video. It's just as well, I was waaaay to busy to film! Then it started pouring down rain again round here so we're in holding pattern, but working on STOP!
    I also sometimes have a "Rocket" boost with my springer on my bike, we don't do it very often though cause we leave everyone else in the dust!

Also have a scooter but I want to get a different type of harness and a thing to hold the line out from the wheel. I have decided not to try to do draft work with Rocket he does not do slow- I tought him from a pup to go when I put on his harness and apparently it worked! I'll leave the slow and steady for Diesel.
    MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  19. k9 crazed Experienced Member

I don't do things without brakes since when I was on roller skates with my rescued Standard Poodle years ago he took off after a cat and I wound up crashing into a telephone pole! So no skateboards or skates for me!
    MaryK likes this.
  20. MaryK Honored Member

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:censored::D Think I too will avoid all forms of vehicles without brakes, my boy has the urge to chase a cat now and them:eek:
    k9 crazed likes this.