Where Has Everyone Gotten To?

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi there!

Just wondering where everyone has gotten to?

Missy and I are both happy and well. I've been practicing piano and cat sitting these past three weeks so that's why I haven't posted much on the forums.

I hope everyone (both two and four legged) are all doing well!

MissyBC

Post here with an update and say hi maybe? :-)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Hey, just checking in. Sad to see how dead it is.
Currently Piper's allergies have gotten worse and she has hives all over along with rashes.
I'm teaching Missy and Piper paw target and jump roping.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Southerngirl and Eviesmom and started a facebook group where we are doing trick challenges, right now we are working on jump roping as Danielle said. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you wanted to join as well?

dukey_boy

I been down at the beach for a week, and then cleaning duplexes, doing school, getting my garden harvested, and just keeping busy with the normal day-to-day chores.
I've not been doing much training at all as Duke just won't work with me. Not anything new. He'll usually hates training and only about one day in an average week can I do anything with him. :unsure:

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm still coming by occasionally :)

The dogs are more or less fine apart from that Gus is going through a fearful stage which is driving me insane. Still it's making me work on calming signals and ttouch so I'm learning lots :cool:. Zac is still deer, hare, rabbit, dog and cat obsessed - that's progress, I think squirrels might be falling off his to chase list :rolleyes:.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I know these are old updates, but I still enjoyed reading each and every one of them. :)

I'm still around, so I thought I'd drop in again and say "Hi!" from both Missy and I.

My goals for this year with Missy is to focus on just the "come" command so it becomes rock solid and to sign her up for the odd "Agility Fun Day" here and there to keep our bond strong. :)

What are everyone's dog training goals for the new year?

running_dog

Honored Member
What are everyone's dog training goals for the new year?

I'm working on Zac's recall using the Really Reliable Recall dvd. He's coming on very well - the principle is to condition an automatic response to the recall cue rather than conditioning a non-response to distractions. Building on that, my target for the next couple of months is to reduce the time to a count of 10 between him beginning to chase a deer and being able to recall him - currently I count to 20 once he starts chasing and then recall him, as far as I can tell he returns instantly so I'm going to start reducing the count to 19 (18,17, etc) before I call him. The deer are all over the place at the moment, I think they've started splitting up early for the spring.

I'm also working on tracking with Zac. If you are looking for something to develop a bond with Missy then tracking has been a fantastic experience with Zac even just with me setting "baby" tracks for him.

My target for Gus is to get him to have "heel" as his default position. Heel needs to be a place he is very secure and wants to be as much as possible. He's good with this at the woods but we need to start taking this on the road.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I'm trying that recall method now too (thanks to you describing how you work it out with Zac) and boy am I seeing results!!!! :) :) She's coming to me at the speed of a bullet. Also, I even got a "check in" from her and I hadn't even called her! :)

So excited to see what the end result will be. My goal is for her to be off leash in my backyard, in school yards, dog parks, etc.-- hopefully for good -- minus on roads of course, but her being off leash everywhere else would be awesome!! (y)

southerngirl

Honored Member
My goals
Missy
Love her muzzle
I bought Missy a muzzle a few months ago then Piper ate it :rolleyes: and I got another one. This will allow Missy to go outside of the neighborhood. Instead of staying home while I take Piper out she'll be able to join. She'll also wear it when kids are in the house so she won't have to be locked up.
become more relaxed around children
Become less reactive

Piper
NO more counter surfing or garbage raiding
Stop jumping on people. She has gotten better. I have her get a toy, but even then she has a hard time not going over to the people and jumping on them.
Recall
she is really good with it in the backyard and at the dog park. I'm also able to let her off leash in an open area as long as we are playing frisbee. The world around her disappears when she is playing frisbee.

dukey_boy

I'm working on service dog work with Duke. He's training to be a wheelchair assistance dog, and he's rocking his training! After almost three years, I've finally found the key to training him and he loves it!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Southerngirl and Eviesmom and started a facebook group where we are doing trick challenges, right now we are working on jump roping as Danielle said. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you wanted to join as well?
I don't have Facebook (not allowed), otherwise I would join.