What You've All Been Waiting For!

sara

Staff member
Well, Tigerlily and Runningdog have been, anyway. :LOL: I put this in the Challenge section as they "Challenged" me to train this.

So without further ado, I give you...

... Oliver's opinion of Brad Pattisen! (and other tricks too!)

And I challenge you all to train this one too! especially if someone has a Cesar book!

sara

Staff member
Evie asked me on another challenge (where I posted this video again LOL) How I taught this trick.

Basically, it's very obviously 2 parts. The first one is the read a book trick, which in and of itself is 2 parts (the flipping the book open, and the chin target on the book) But Evie asked more about the lifting the leg trick.

I dont think the way Ollie learned it is very conventional, but it's a trick he's known for a long time. When I was teaching him to back onto an object, he would lift up his back legs really high when he was almost at the box... so I began capturing that behaviour, then had to change the cue, but I've changed the cue on that trick several times now, as I keep deciding on something better :)

I then used Rdog's idea and put different scents on the 2 books, under their front covers, just to give them something more to distinguish between them, as I was going to have to say read in both sentences (wanted to make it look like *I* wasn't biased! LOL), so basically, the smell on each book is the cue

sara

Staff member
There ya go Dogster! You're all set to teach Shivon that then! LOL Get to it! I want to see a vid in no more than 2 weeks!!! Okay, okay, three then! :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOVE LOVE LOVE THE BRAD PATTISON TRICK!! OHMIDAWG, i hit replay like 3 times, just such a GREAT trick, and done so perfectly well, too!! rofl!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
LOVE IT! WHERE IS THE "LOVE" BUTTON!!

Sara, i want to be first to say that THIS "Brad Pattison" trick is going to go viral!!

NOw, how does Ollie know to it's time to lift his leg, the word "Pattison" ??
or, are you giving him a hand cue ?
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for both filming this,
and
for being so tolerant as some of us (clears throat:rolleyes: ) hounded you to film this!!

sara

Staff member
LOVE LOVE LOVE THE BRAD PATTISON TRICK!! OHMIDAWG, i hit replay like 3 times, just such a GREAT trick, and done so perfectly well, too!! rofl!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
LOVE IT! WHERE IS THE "LOVE" BUTTON!!

Sara, i want to be first to say that THIS "Brad Pattison" trick is going to go viral!!

NOw, how does Ollie know to it's time to lift his leg, the word "Pattison" ??
or, are you giving him a hand cue ?
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for both filming this,
and
for being so tolerant as some of us (clears throat:rolleyes: ) hounded you to film this!!
I doubt it'll go viral, :)

The cue is the book itself. Both books have a different smell put on them. I knew I wanted to say read in both questions, so I put a scent on each book, just to help Ollie distinguish between books. Though I think there is a bit of a combo there, I think he understands Brad as a cue as well. though "Read" is the cue to open the book and put his chin down (took awhile to get that automatically without a cue for it LOL) It only took 2 takes to get the video LOL. the first one he and I both messed up :)

Is that city of bones on the bookshelf!!!! :p And amazing tricks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes it is, a good book!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Whew I had no idea who Brad Pattison was. It looks like most of the stuff has been removed from youtube, there are a lot of allusions to a 2009 seminar video? But I couldn't find it. There are just wee snippets left on YT, but it looks bad.

Sara I think you should make a short video just of Oliver 'reading' two books, then offer the Pattison book :) . A short clip could easily make the rounds of the training community in the internet!

ETA: OMG, I saw some clips that hadn't been taken down yet, how awful! The one with the husky, where you can see that he deliberately fakes out the dog so she (he?) goes the wrong way around the tree and gets the leash wrapped and a body slam, the first time the tree hits her in the face. And the one where he tells the lady she's annoying! I can't believe this stuff, I can't believe no one intervened upon seeing this. How many times does someone have to slam your dog into a tree before you stop him? Choke him and slap him in the face?

I had an under-informed trainer (who has since learned lots and is pretty good) try to 'correct' my late dog once and I was there in a second, yanking the leash out of her hands in front of everyone. And she was only (!) yelling at him! I didn't say anything, just walked away talking happily to my dog, because my dog had enough problems, he didn't need to see me yelling at someone. BTW, the 'correction' was because my dog kept snarking at a Dalmatian in class. We were LLWing around, with all the dogs in an outer circle, and the Dalmatian kept leaping up when my dog would pass; my dog would give a quick head-turn warning when that happened, and finally at the end of class the Dalmatian (who I'm sure just wanted to 'say hi';)) rushed him and my dog roared at him (without charging or biting, a standard "BUZZ OFF"). And got the yell-in-the-face correction. I was furious! And that dude slamming the dog into a tree! I wouldn't hand the leash over to any 'trainer' without knowing him/her and what the plan was. Unbelievable.

Is this guy still on TV? I heard his Animal Planet (US) show was dumped?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Sara I think you should make a short video just of Oliver 'reading' two books, then offer the Pattison book :) . A short clip could easily make the rounds of the training community in the internet!//

YESsss!! that is what i think, too! (in "shout box", i said exact same thing!:ROFLMAO: )

bekah1001

Honored Member
Whew I had no idea who Brad Pattison was. It looks like most of the stuff has been removed from youtube, there are a lot of allusions to a 2009 seminar video? But I couldn't find it. There are just wee snippets left on YT, but it looks bad.

Sara I think you should make a short video just of Oliver 'reading' two books, then offer the Pattison book :) . A short clip could easily make the rounds of the training community in the internet!

ETA: OMG, I saw some clips that hadn't been taken down yet, how awful! The one with the husky, where you can see that he deliberately fakes out the dog so she (he?) goes the wrong way around the tree and gets the leash wrapped and a body slam, the first time the tree hits her in the face. And the one where he tells the lady she's annoying! I can't believe this stuff, I can't believe no one intervened upon seeing this. How many times does someone have to slam your dog into a tree before you stop him? Choke him and slap him in the face?

I had an under-informed trainer (who has since learned lots and is pretty good) try to 'correct' my late dog once and I was there in a second, yanking the leash out of her hands in front of everyone. And she was only (!) yelling at him! I didn't say anything, just walked away talking happily to my dog, because my dog had enough problems, he didn't need to see me yelling at someone. BTW, the 'correction' was because my dog kept snarking at a Dalmatian in class. We were LLWing around, with all the dogs in an outer circle, and the Dalmatian kept leaping up when my dog would pass; my dog would give a quick head-turn warning when that happened, and finally at the end of class the Dalmatian (who I'm sure just wanted to 'say hi';)) rushed him and my dog roared at him (without charging or biting, a standard "BUZZ OFF"). And got the yell-in-the-face correction. I was furious! And that dude slamming the dog into a tree! I wouldn't hand the leash over to any 'trainer' without knowing him/her and what the plan was. Unbelievable.

Is this guy still on TV? I heard his Animal Planet (US) show was dumped?

southerngirl

Honored Member
I've never heard of this guy before I joined this forum. Now that I've seen tidbits of him on youtube I have a great dislike for this guy. If that was Missy I would have yanked her leash from him than punched the dude in the face(as hard as I could). I would Never let someone treat my baby like that.:mad: