What Breed Is This Little Girl?

MaryK

Honored Member
Just received an email from a dear friend asking if I knew what breed this little girl could be. I don't have her age at present, or any further details, have emailed asking if my friend can send age etc. so will post more information if it's possible.

She's a good mix that's for sure. And a real cutie pie:)

pixie1.jpg
pixie2.jpg
pixie3.jpg
pixie4.jpg

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you everyone:D

That was what I was thinking and emailed my friend. Looks like she's now a Dog Mom (and also a Cat Mom to TEN yes TEN cats). All we know is that the little lady, named Pixie now, turned up eating Big Boy's (the black cat in the picture) food and all attempts by my friend to find her a good home have failed - dismally! She's turned up back at my friend's home and has even refused to eat when left for a short time with my friend's mother. She was very, very skinny when she turned up and quite scared of my friend, who had to coax her over.

Now apparently, she's putting on weight, 5 lbs now, after one week, loves being brushed, cuddled and plays ball and with an old soak tied in a knot as a 'tug toy'. She did nibble the edge of her basket but that's about all she's done. Pixie also appears to have been house trained and will ask to go outside, but doesn't bark, just stands by the door.

She has been a little bit of an 'escapologist' but now has decided, after some hole blocking, my friend's house is THE best place to stay:D(y)

My friend's never owned a dog before, so this is all so new for her. She's taking Pixie to the vet in the next day or so, mainly to ascertain if she's been de-sexed, as she cannot see a scar.

I've asked her if Pixie has a tat in her ear, still waiting to hear on that one. Also to check her nipples etc. to see if she's had a litter at some time, because if she's a year to 18 months old and not been de-sexed chances are she may well have had a litter of puppies, especially if she's been badly treated, as it appears she has been, in the past. Doubt we will ever know her history but one things for sure, my friend will give her a wonderful home, she's a true animal lover:love:

Well looks like my friend has been adopted!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:rolleyes:

Dogster

Honored Member
Awww, Pixie is ADORABLE!!!!!!:love::love: I'm thinking along the same lines... Yorkie/Chihuahua mix:) I'm glad she has a home!!!:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you everyone! I'm thrilled she's got a good home now, but LOL am expecting (when my friend has time) emails asking 'what do I do about.......". Glad she's a small dog as my friend is a bit afraid of dogs in general, seems this little one has won her heart:love:

sara

Staff member
Awe she's so adorable!!! She reminds me a bit of an Australian Terrier... but she's so small! also the wire coat is recessive, chis dont carry the wire coat, and neither to yorkies, so both her parents would have had to carry the gene for wire (or be wires themselves) So maybe she's asecond gen. chi or yorkie x australian terrier, or some other wire haired terrier :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Sara (good to see you back again too we missed you:D). I was wondering about the wiry coat, wasn't sure though whether Chis carried it or not. Will let my friend know, she may well be a terrier cross. LOL she's in for some fun if she is!

I think in the photos she may still be a bit under weight, as my friend said she was literally skin and bone when she first 'arrived' at her house. Not sure either if she'll grow any more but she does look 'fully grown'. She sure is a cutie and adorable, LOL I'm quite jealous:LOL:

Honored Member
Does she actually have a wiry coat?
It doesn't look that wiry to me, just scruffy.

Holly looks like she has a wiry coat and I get asked if she is a Cairn Terrier or Cairn X all the time. But her coat is actually soft, not as soft as a lot of dogs, but softer than it looks. The length is from the 1/4 Bichon (I guess).

MaryK

Honored Member
Does she actually have a wiry coat?
It doesn't look that wiry to me, just scruffy.

Holly looks like she has a wiry coat and I get asked if she is a Cairn Terrier or Cairn X all the time. But her coat is actually soft, not as soft as a lot of dogs, but softer than it looks. The length is from the 1/4 Bichon (I guess).
I'm not sure, but I do know she was badly dehydrated, along with needing a lot of brushing etc. so I am guessing her coat isn't quite how it will eventually look when she's had more food, drink and grooming. The photos were taken just after my friend found her scoffing Big Boy's (the black cat in the photo) food. I'll have to ask my friend, hopefully she can describe Pixie's coat, as she's not very familiar with dogs.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention:)

sara

Staff member
Wire coats can be soft too. there's something about incomplete dominance in the genes with a long coat mixed with a wire, as long as both parents carry the wire gene. Scout has a long, very soft wire coat. The way you can tell is by looking at the hairs themselves. Wire Dachshunds will often have a more soft, fluffy coat. just look at the westie, they're very soft and fluffy, but are definately a wire. though if properly stripped and not shaved, they do get a harder coat. Shaving a wire will ruin the harshness and weatherproofing/mudproofing of the wire coat... which is why I strip Oliver, even though he's a mutt and not a show dog.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Sara. Very informative and good to know about stripping not shaving a wire.(y):)

madeleine

Experienced Member
And in behaviour? Do you see things that resemble a part off a group from the F.C.I?
Maybe you spot something typicall.

MaryK

Honored Member
And in behaviour? Do you see things that resemble a part off a group from the F.C.I?
Maybe you spot something typicall.
Unfortunately my friend and Pixie live in the States, so I haven't actually met her:( So do not know if she has any characteristics to help with determining her breed. I don't think my friend would be able to tell, as she's a cat person, and never owned a dog before. I have suggested to her she looks on line and reads about the different breeds suggested but so far she hasn't replied. I guess with 10 cats and now a dog she hasn't much time for emails.

Would be grand if I could actually see Pixie or a video.