We've Been Adopted

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
So, although our plan had been to wait a while before we added to our already large household, fate had other plans. :)
Last week, I walked out the front door to head to work and was greeted by a happy female Great Dane. I hadn't ever seen her before, and knew she wasn't from around us since all of our nearest neighbors are elderly couples with no pets. She was very underweight, and being the sucker I am, I had to run inside to get her some food. She wanted desperately to come in with me, lol, but waited patiently outside while I came back out with breakfast. Despite her condition, she didn't attack the bowl of food, really didn't even touch it till I left. She tried to get in the truck with me when I headed to work, lol. My hubby was still asleep so I didn't get a chance to tell him about her, or discuss fostering or potentially keeping her. A text from him later that day saying, "We have a Great Dane and I want to name her Shetland! She's the size of a Shetland pony!" answered that. Lol!

A couple of friends of ours were over for the weekend and were taking their horse to the vet, so they took her to see if she was microchipped and healthy. No luck (but healthy!). Shelters and rescues all over the area were called to see if someone was missing a Dane, no luck. The neighbors haven't ever seen her. We posted flyers and haven't had any calls yet. And she's stuck around. The first couple days we didn't close the front gate and let her hang out in the front yard, in case her owners were nearby and she had just wandered off, so she had the opportunity to go home. But she hasn't left. At night she slept at the front door and greeted us in the morning. We took her back by the barn to see what she thought of the horses and she followed us everywhere. She's great with the horses, great with all the dogs, and well mannered.

So, if she isn't claimed, she's decided she's probably staying with us. :) I'm not all that familiar with the right terminology for Dane colors, but if I have read right I think she's a chocolate merle mantle. (Feel free to correct me if anybody knows!) I think she's about 2-3 years old. We're probably calling her Greta. :)
The pictures aren't great because she doesn't sit still much, but here she is!
Greta1.jpg
Greta2.jpg
Greta3.jpg
Greta&Tucker.jpg

(Tucker, my parents' Dallie mix, is infatuated with her. They play together almost nonstop. My parents are picking him up Wednesday, she's going to be so sad!)

MaryK

Honored Member
She's gorgeous!!!:love: Sadly, can see she's under weight, but willing to bet with all your love and care she'll be 'correct weight' very soon!:love:

She certainly knew were to come:LOL: And love the text - your husband is an angel! Think Shetland is about right for a name though, she's as big as one. No wonder she loves horses, she thinks their all related to her!:unsure:

Oh she'll miss her playmate but you've got so many dogs I'm sure she'll soon find another one, or two or three:D
I can see a happy future for Ms. Greta, and I don't think she'll cry 'I vant to be alone":D

Cannot help with Dane colors, not too sure myself, but I think you're right.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Ohhh Tex, they all find you if you don't find them first, don't they??? :LOL: I just love her, she's beautiful, and she sounds perfect!! :love: Geez, don't you wonder where she came from? It's like she dropped out of the sky! Any dog that well-mannered must have belonged to someone, you'd think they'd be searching everywhere and heartbroken!!! At least she found her way to the perfect home. She surely will miss her playmate, but heavens, with your (dog)houseful and the ones in and out, she's got loads to choose from so I'm sure won't be lacking in that dept! :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I think Shetland is a really cute name for a Dane!!! :love::LOL: But Greta is pretty too. :)

If you really want to know for sure about colors, etc, let me know - I know someone thru our training facility who is a wonderful Dane breeder, and I know she can tell you for sure, I can fwd the pics.

southerngirl

Honored Member
She is gorgeous!! My neighbor used to breed great danes and I loved those dogs, they were as tall as me 5'3 when they stood up. I love the name!

Seems like a lot of people are getting new dogs on the forum or finding them.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Mary, my husband is as much of a sucker as me, if not more! Lol. We are destined for a houseful of critters for life.

Jackie, definitely forward please!!! The white goes from her chin to her belly, and there are black spots all through her coat. From the pictures all that is hard to tell. Thank you!!!

There is a fairly large lake about 20 minutes from our place that lots of people go to...she may have gotten away from her owners there, and if so all around it is nothing but hill country so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if her weight loss was due to her time navigating the hills, lol. We took flyers there too. But, we also live in the country so it wouldn't surprise me either if she just got dumped somewhere and found her way to us. Who knows...somehow she found us. :)

Lol Danielle, when she jumps on me she's taller than me and I'm 5' 6"! Her one vice--she jumps sometimes, but already doing way better!)

We'll have to figure out if she's Shetland or Greta. Guess she could be Shet or Shetty for short maybe...or a variation like Shetlyn??? Hmm...she just makes me think "Greta" lol.

charmedwolf

Staff member
She looks beautiful. The Dane lover in me is gushing. I like the name Greta for her.

With her coloring, I believe it would just be called merle (blue). If she had the white all around the neck it would be considered a merle mantle or boston merle.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
She looks so sweet! She was destined for you! I think all the dogs without homes decided that loving homes were taking too long to find them, so they decided to take matters into their own hands (excuse me, paws) and find themselves homes! Seems like dogs have been showing up left and right to steal people's hearts! :)

sara

Staff member
In the pics it looks as if her nose is black, not liver, so her base colour would be black, therefore a blue merle. The fact that she has merle markings in her white is confusing as heck, as she shouldn't, if she was a mantle merle. So I'm inclined to believe she is either a very weird looking double merle or some strange variation of harlequin or merlequin. If she has brown in her coat but a black nose than she has dilution spots, but she is not a chocolate.

Ok I looked again. I'm almost positive she is a double merle, like Mouse and Boo. Merle works randomly on the coat and where she has the weird random white spots are where she has 2 merle genes working together. She may also be a mantle, as that's a completely different set of genes that cause that. Merle is NOT a colour, it is a dilution gene. Her actual colour is black.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks everyone! She is a gorgeous girl for sure. :) I'll work on getting some more pics!

So she is a blue merle due to a black base coat, despite not really looking "blue" as what we typically think of it? Despite being mostly a milk/dark chocolate color (to the eye), due to the gene combination she is considered a blue? Trying to see if I am understanding right. :) And yes, her nose is black.

She is as sweet as she looks! And way more goofy than the Danes I have met, lol! Love her personality.

sara

Staff member
Yes she cannot be chocolate and have a black nose. She likely has a dilution spot causing the brown in her coat, which is not related to the dilution causing the merle, if that makes sense. And she is a double merle, that's where the white on her jaw, head and weird little specs come from. Merle cannot act on white from the piebald gene that causes Mantle, so you have a blue mantle double merle with a dilution spot... lol

Here's a website all about this stuff
Double Merle: http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/doublemerle.html
Merle: http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/merle.html
Harlequin: http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/harlequin.html
Nose colours: http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/noses.html
And a Dane colour breeding case study: http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/danes.htm

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol! I am really interested in dog genetics, but what little I know about genetics is livestock-based...not really the same, at least I don't think so...?
Haven't had a chance to read those links yet but definitely going to! I'm excited! Still don't have great pictures, but maybe these will help. She's not a high energy dog by any means, but she has way more energy than the ones I know! Lol she rarely sits still long enough to get her picture taken.
IMG_20130904_163158_921.jpg
IMG_20130904_163150_837.jpg

sara

Staff member
Ok so the spots on her that are black is her actual colour. The white on her chest and lower legs are due to the piebald gene. The brown is called a dilution spot, and the grey is the proper dilution colour from a single merle gene. The rest of the white on her is where both merle genes have decided to act. Merle is random, and can affect as much or as little as it wants. Some merles might only have one little blue spot, this is called cryptic merle. So if one merle gene only acts on a few areas, but the other one acts all over, then you will get a double merle that has very little white, like your foundling. They can still have hearing and vision problems like Mouse and Boo, though, so you're lucky (well, most would consider it lucky, I like the deaf ones better lol) that she is fine.

ackerleynelson

I am also agree with Mary that she is very sweet and adorable but yes, she is underweight and hence you must take care of this thing. A little more love and care will help her to improve so fast.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh she is well on her way to gaining weight. She's been getting fed plenty since she showed up. :)
We're trying to come up with other names now...ideas are appreciated! Hubby doesn't like Greta too much and I'm not really a fan of Shetland. Lol so back to the drawing board.