Ways To Resolve Puppy Problems

Sally Honna

When my dog was a puppy, she used top chew on everything(and sometimes does now) including: sofas, headsets, erasers, beads, wire, rubber stoppers, cables, and even tried on my cat! We had to think of ways to get her to stop eating and chewing on these bizzare items. We used the "Chewie/Fetchie" system(I will explain later on) and used something like a can of beans or marbles to get her to stop before she starts. A spray bottle always works great for scraching on sofas or leather furniture(We only have leather). You need to zap them in the act with only a little water. That just freaks them out a little and they may back off for a while. Bitter Yuck or Bitter Apple work great for plastic items on the ground that your dog is causing distruction to. We use Bitter Yuck for my dog and it works great! She hasn't chewed on that box for at least a year! My dog is a great indoor pet, she can't go outdoors, and behaves really well besides her barking. Barking is probably one of the most commen problems. She still barks a lot today, but less. We thought maybe if we had scolded her more when she barked when she was a puppy, she would hardley bark at all. But we can't go back in time can we now? If anybody has anymore tips about how to resolve puppy problems, post here. And take the poll, it may help if you have puppy problems.

horsy

Dogs need to chew. Do you give her anything that she CAN chew rather than telling her what she can't chew?

Sally Honna

Yes. we give her the stuff she can chew and call them chewies. fetchies are fetch toys. this system works great for my dog. i just forgot to post about telling her about the stuff she can chew on, fore that comes into the chewie/fetchie thing.:D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
It easier to adopt an adult dog, that is past the chew up everything phase, than to take home a baby dog, imo.
http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

still, an adult dog also needs appropriate things to chew on, but adult dogs can better control their need to chew.

Re: barking, no---------- yelling at barking dogs teaches them absolutely nothing. Some dogs even think you are joining in, in agreement, that you are *barking* too.

best way to help a dog bark less, is teach the cue "Shhh!". <---i can post thread on how i did that if you don't know how to do that.

or, desensitize the dog to whatever it is that sets him off barking.

some breeds bark more, too. So ppl who are interested in a quieter dog, should do some research, and like, not take home a beagle, for example.

lyka_01

oh you have pugs too! i love pugs. mine doesn't really chew on stuffs. i think when dogs are always inside a cage they tend to get stress and chew on stuffs to de-stress themselves. you can try giving him treats or those dentasticks he can chew on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dog Crates, Pet Crates. 30% OFF & FREE Shipping on Pet Crates and Dog Crates