Update Time For Everyone

southerngirl

Honored Member
Everyone give updates on what you've been doing with your dog(tricks, hikes, vacations, training break through s.)

Missy is working on: Fold Towel(now's how to do it just needs perfecting. Reverse back in between my legs from distance(almost got it) Handstand( can't seem to get her to go higher than she is)
And I'm happy to say Missy has two dog friends. She had meet my neighbors dogs about a week ago didn't seem all that interested but today they walked with us and she was really happy to see them.

Chase: Happy as heck the sun has come back(SPRING!!). He's really enjoying bathing in the warm sun. Knows a new trick Peekaboo(come in between my legs. And he will walk in between my legs.

Everyone join in I'm curious to how everyone dog is. Also what Season are you in? In 5 days it will be officially spring here. The cold is reluctantly leaving and it's putting up a good fight but we've had a couple of days in the low to high 60's. Anyone have summer plans with your dogs? I plan on going to waterfalls with Missy and my friend and her dog Lily.

Caiti

Experienced Member
Great idea! (y)

It's Winter here, but Spring is coming! The snow is starting to melt, which is good because at the moment it's too high for Wylie to climb up on so I had to shovel a path for him in the backyard.

Wylie and I have taken a short break from training because I am making my CTDI videos. I hope I get accepted! :)

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
It's almost spring here. Well it feels like summer with the 90 degree weather we are having.

Remi is only working on one trick at the moment. I don't wanna say what in case I fail to teach it right! :D He doesn't want to do much since its been so hot lately.

Chance: Is much like Chase and enjoying sun bathing. We don't do much training with him, especially since he just got over being sick.

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
I haven't been working on many new tricks later since I am out of new good ideas. I'm working on "quality", distance and distractions(this one isn't doing so well we're constantly failing:( , but still we're getting better).
And the most exiting news: Laika will have puppies:D !!!!
Whether is like always:ROFLMAO:: Sunny, nor hot nor cold, rains on some days...:ROFLMAO:
Congrats for Missy knowing dogs!!!:):)

DevonW

Well it's still well below freezing here and we still have tons of snow so working on tricks outdoors is absolutely miserable for me Thor doesn't mind the cold at all. So I'm working on improving quality of Thor's current tricks with our limited indoor space. Siren is working on impulse control and distance work, and shaping objects like tunnels and tables.

I recently got my CTDI with excellent remarks on the critique and I still need to finish Thor's TDCH video (it's almost done!!) There just isn't enough time in a day when you work 9 hours a day at your "day" job and then put in a million more hours into your own business, housework, and dog training.

Thor and Siren are going to be part of a demo team at the All About Pet Show in Toronto at the end of the month.

I'm also having a heck of a time deciding on which dog sports I want to focus on competitively there are just way too many.

In sad news I noticed Buffy's front leg was a little stiff when she walked and she's been a lot grumpier lately so when I palpated the joint I found another lump :( Old dogs are hard on the heartstrings.

southerngirl

Honored Member
In sad news I noticed Buffy's front leg was a little stiff when she walked and she's been a lot grumpier lately so when I palpated the joint I found another lump :( Old dogs are hard on the heartstrings
I understand, old dogs are hard on the heart. Chase also has lumps he has two, but they don't bother him one has been there for a few years. Dogs getting old sucks.

Honored Member
It's autumn here. The weather has it's ups and downs (common in NZ), it was over 20 degreesC yesterday but today it was raining and below 15 degreesC. Here's a photo of Holly on todays walk in the rain wearing her coat:

When we got home she actually demanded that I dry here and got all tail-waggy when I got her towel out :D (she doen't normally wag her tail much).

At the moment we are focusing on weave poles. I'm using the 2x2 training method and Holly can now weave four poles but she isn't being very consistent with it, hopefully the weather will get better again later in the week so we can work on the weaving outside.

I'm also trying to decide what to focus on competitively. There is an agility and obedience competition at the start of April so entries will close soon and I've been told I should enter Holly in something. I don't think I should enter her in both agility and obedience for her first competition, it might be a bit too much so I have to decide which one I should go for.... and I keep changing my mind :confused:

Dogster

Honored Member
It feels like winter here (but with no snow). Spring is just around the corner, so hopefully the weather will warm up. :)

We are working on:
  1. throw a towel over your head
  2. close a door
  3. full dogwalk and A-frame
  4. teeter work (bang! game)
  5. weave poles
  6. shell game
  7. flush a toilet
  8. elephant trick (almost done)

Dice Smith

It's officially Spring here now, but it certainly doesn't feel like it! :p It's freezing cold and we got a bunch of snow the other day too. :mad: It sucks cause Kodi and I both don't like going outside when it's cold and we miss going for hour long walks at night. :(

But we are working on tons of new tricks. Today Kodi learned to unzip my coat, take it off of me and then to take off my hat and put it away. :) And I've started writing an ebook about Kodi and I's ups and downs together too to comemmorate his sixth birthday in June. :D He's growing up too fast. :(:oops::cry:(n)

M

moetrout

Copper finished his puppy obedience class 2 weeks ago. We start companion 1 training tonight. Actually I am having my daughter do all of the work in the trianing class. It's done wonders for the relationship between her and Copper. He is no longer trying to dominate her. We've had issues with him trying to hump everything in sight, quite embarassing. I made some progress on that last night whne we had a visit from my borthers older male jack russel. I tried all the usual things I've been taught to discourage it and it did not work. I know this is not popular here, but I got out the ecollar. Once he started I gave the off command, nothing, then off with a bump on level 1, nothing, then off and a bumpo on level 2 and he stopped. The next time hestarted, like 10 seconds later, I gave the off command followed by bump on level one and he stopped. From then on that evening all I had to do was give the off command. Now if I can get him to listen tonight at class. I'd like to take the ecollar just in case I have problems so I can correct him immediately, but I don't know if the instructor will allow it. Anyway the ecollar worked for me in this case. It was the last thing I wanted to try, but it worked so well. For any skeptics out there, I have put this collar on myself and tried it out. A level 1 bump feels like a feather tickle and does not hurt one bit and probably less so on the dog due to the hair. Level 2 is mild as well and I have gone up to levell 3 on myself and yes that did hurt. Rest assured this type of correction is not normally needed and 99% of my training is done through the use of treats. Who can deny, it works so well. So with all the disclaimers over with, these are the tricks he is doing or working on right now:

roll over (no command, signaled by tilting my head to the side), he has been doing this well for a while now.

bang dead from a sit position, he has this one down too, almost too well because when he sees your "gun finger" he wants to do it immediately without giving any command.

Sneeze (using verbal "sneeze" and touching my nose), this one wowed my brother last night as he couldn't quite understand how I captured that behavior.

Speak (using verbal "speak" and touching my throat), he does this ok, but sometimes needs to be prompted more than once to get a true "voice" out of him.

Put 'em up, verbal command only. It took about 2 weeks to get him to do it using the command only and no "treat coaxing".

He's turns 6 months old next week.

Attachments

Linda A

Experienced Member
We are having perfect Spring weather here in So. Cal.!

Royal is learning all the new moves for 'Rally Freestyle Elements' and doing very well. There will only be 15 signs on a course but they could be any one of 32 possibilities so we have to learn them all. LOL! The workshop in April is going to be lots of fun and a great learning experience. I can hardly wait!

Anneke

Honored Member
I'm working on a new trick with Jinx. Stand up(stand on back legs and eventually walk and spin on back legs) She needs to find her balance and learn not to start jumping:D
We are perfecting the back up, adding distance. She will do about 5 steps back now, so I'm raising criteria. But the little lady has thrown in her own thing:rolleyes: She will go 5 steps back and when I ask for more, she will jump back and sit down....:p Little rat. Ofcourse it looks funny, so I laughed a few times when she did it, so now she does it all the time...
Still training agility. tighter turns, teeter(she somehow has become scared of it, so we are re-training it) weave poles.
But the weather is not nice enough to go out and train even though it is spring, so I can only train it in class once a week.
We have some agility competitions planned, a few demo's and a few workshops to attend.
Last saturday we went to a Balance and Coordination workshop,that was a lot of fun! Balance pods, fitness balls, cavaletti.

MaryK

Honored Member
I understand, old dogs are hard on the heart. Chase also has lumps he has two, but they don't bother him one has been there for a few years. Dogs getting old sucks.
Yes it does suck, sorry to hear about both dogs having lumps. My old boy has Cushings, every day is 'borrowed' time, which makes him just that bit more special and, if possible, more loved, grumpy old man he may be at times, but hey gotta make allowances for the Golden Oldies.

MaryK

Honored Member
Ra Kismet is learning 'march', also wave (that's not going so well at present) and also stay in all positions, not just sit, that's going really well! Plus he's now targeting really well, so pleased about that. Plus we've also learned 'right round' and he'll now do it more than once. Still working on 'back up' on my right side, he either swings out or sits down, a work in progress.