Update On Missy!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
First of all, sorry for being inactive on the forum lately. I've been busy! That doesn't mean I haven't been working with Missy all summer! I have been.

What Missy and I have been doing over the summer:

1. Foundation Agility classes - our last one for this session is tomorrow (total = 2 months).

2. Working on "leave it/come" with cars at the park - it's working! - she ignores them on her long line from a distance 75% of the time or so... one "leave it" cue and she just watches - but doesn't give chase! (she's on her long line - 30 and 15 ft line put together = 45 feet in total)

On another note: I've ridden horseback for 11 years now. I'm taking some time off of Agility training with Missy, and plan to part board a horse - I can go from month to month; I believe I don't have to commit to more than a month at a time. Which I'm glad about as I do love to spend as much time as I can with Missy. Don't worry, I will still be working with her to get her reliable off leash - just no Agility lessons for now.

I just wanted to update you all on Missy's progress, and my horse plans as well.

Cheers!!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Sounds like Missy has made a lot of progress(y).
And I must say I'm Super Jealous that you get to ride horses!! I used to get to ride about 3 -4 times a year on my friends horse, but have not ridden in 3 maybe four years. Post pics. of the horse!!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I'm glad to hear she is leaving cars alone. It is a really dangerous habit, but it sounds like you now have everything under control!
I'm glad too!! :)

I read your post on Rory's update... well done with him as well! I knew you could do it!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Good work with missy!
Seems like you are coming there step by step.

Also another horse rider here (jumping) :)
Yes, I jump too! The highest I've jumped is 2'3" a few years ago (on the horse I hope to partboard) - in 2009 or 2010 if I can remember correctly? I jumped him 2' at a horse show I had in April.

MaryK

Honored Member
Congratulations on making such wonderful progress with Missy. Keep up the good work, that's a dangerous habit, chasing cars!:)

Congratulations too on the Agility work you've been doing with her. Leaf will be starting 'adult' agility work in February next year when she turns a year old, she's doing puppy at present and loves it.

I'm jealous too, miss my horses very much, so photos please I need a 'horse fix'.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi all - Meet Dodge. Sorry the pictures are sooo big! Enjoy!

Last summer - 2 foot fence - rode him in a lesson:
Jumping Dodge =) 028.jpg

After the lesson:
Dodge.jpg

This past April - my first horse show ever. I placed 5th on him after jumping a crazy jumper course - and when I say crazy, I mean crazy! 11 fences scattered everywhere!:
Dodge & Me - Horse Show 2013.jpg

I've known and ridden Dodge off and on for years - since before 2009. I'm sooo excited to have the opportunity to start part boarding him. I can't wait!! :)

Linda A

Experienced Member
Beautiful Horse!!!!!:love: It's hard not having a horse isn't it.
Very hard! From the photo you would never guess he was a Tennessee Walker. LOL! That was my boy, Shocker's Blue Nip, 1990 High Point, Light Shod, Three Gate Plantation Champion for the state of California.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Very hard! From the photo you would never guess he was a Tennessee Walker. LOL! That was my boy, Shocker's Blue Nip, 1990 High Point, Light Shod, Three Gate Plantation Champion for the state of California.
I figured he was either a Standardbred or a Tennessee Walker... wasn't sure which one. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I did wonder, wasn't sure from the photo though, if he was a Tennessee Walker. Gorgeous horse!:love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Dodge is gorgeous!:love: Thrilled you're going to be riding him again. Have fun, LOL I just know you will though!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Dodge is gorgeous!:love: Thrilled you're going to be riding him again. Have fun, LOL I just know you will though!
Thanks, MaryK! :) I sure will have fun. I need to get used to him again though. He can be bouncy sometimes - (Standardbred in him makes him bouncy!) When I first rode him years ago (my first lesson on him - I had ridden other horses before trying him) - we clicked! :love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks, MaryK! :) I sure will have fun. I need to get used to him again though. He can be bouncy sometimes - (Standardbred in him makes him bouncy!) When I first rode him years ago (my first lesson on him - I had ridden other horses before trying him) - we clicked! :love:
You'll be fine:D Lovely when you just 'click' with a horse (or a dog or any animal):D
Don't forget to update us and more photos of you riding him please:D

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Sorry to say, but Dodge injured himself last night - not life threatening, no worries! He stepped in a hole when he was about to be led into his field (I wasn't leading him, someone else was and it was pitch dark), and cut his white sock marking. I haven't ridden him yet as he was used in the riding lessons last night.

I don't know how long it's going to take his cut to heal :unsure:, but if it takes a while, I'm okay for now with just grazing him, showering him with TLC, and spoiling him until he's as good as new! (y) I hope to go see him possibly tomorrow (my mom said, "We'll see." as she's the one that does all the driving) and for sure Saturday. :love:

I'll keep you guys updated on his progress!