"untrainable Dog" Returned To Shelter!

Discussion in 'General Dog Training' started by srdogtrainer, Mar 26, 2013.

1. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

Okay, I just had to share this video I found on Facebook.
    Caption was: Meet Lennon...a deaf dog returned due to the inability to be trained...Amazing things can happen with the right motivation. Enjoy!

2. Anneke Honored Member

Classic case of a non-trainable owner:D Some humans will never learn. Fortunately for this guy, he has found a human who does understand!!
    BTW I would love to have a space like that to train... My living room is half that size...
    southerngirl, MaryK, Dogster and 2 others like this.
  3. DevonW Well-Known Member

Stories like these always make me so happy :)

I'd love a space like that to train too. My house is so small and the nearest dog training centre you can rent time from is over an hour away.
    southerngirl and MaryK like this.
  4. sara Moderator

It's a common reason people give up deaf dogs. And often the people don't even know the dog is deaf, they just think they're really stupid.

The person in the vid with Lennon isn't giving him enough credit either, though. She is using luring with no actual signs, from what I could see, just "follow" signals. I didn't watch the whole vid though, so I may have missed some :)
  5. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

I think that is a common reason dogs in general are taken to shelters/back to shelters. They don't have to be deaf to be 'untrainable'. I think the majority of dogs are not given the chance to reach their full potential. I have met a lot of people when they see my dog do tricks, they say wow my dog can't even sit, or my dog is not very smart. Most likely they just never had the opportunity to show how smart they really are.
  6. blacknym Experienced Member

What a beautiful Pup!! and a smartypants from the look of it. Some people expect the dog to come preprogrammmed...So sad.

Glad he is doing Good now!
    MaryK likes this.
  7. Dogster Honored Member

A happy ending for this dog.:)
    Deaf dogs aren't untrainable, they just need the right owner who is willing to train them.
    MaryK likes this.
  8. Caiti Experienced Member

I love stories like this.

My first dog, Trouble, was deaf and had the same problem! No body would adopt her. When we took her in she was a loving, devoted and talented dog who LIVED for flyball until the day she died.
    southerngirl, MaryK and Dogster like this.
  9. Mutt Experienced Member

Every dog can learn, but not every human can teach ;)
  10. Caiti Experienced Member

Exactly ;)
    MaryK and Mr-Remington like this.
  11. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

You put it perfectly!
    MaryK likes this.
  12. MaryK Honored Member

Perfectly put Mutt!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Deaf dogs are deaf not dumb!
    srdogtrainer likes this.