"untrainable Dog" Returned To Shelter!

DevonW

Stories like these always make me so happy :)

I'd love a space like that to train too. My house is so small and the nearest dog training centre you can rent time from is over an hour away.

sara

Staff member
It's a common reason people give up deaf dogs. And often the people don't even know the dog is deaf, they just think they're really stupid.

The person in the vid with Lennon isn't giving him enough credit either, though. She is using luring with no actual signs, from what I could see, just "follow" signals. I didn't watch the whole vid though, so I may have missed some :)

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
It's a common reason people give up deaf dogs. And often the people don't even know the dog is deaf, they just think they're really stupid.

The person in the vid with Lennon isn't giving him enough credit either, though. She is using luring with no actual signs, from what I could see, just "follow" signals. I didn't watch the whole vid though, so I may have missed some :)
I think that is a common reason dogs in general are taken to shelters/back to shelters. They don't have to be deaf to be 'untrainable'. I think the majority of dogs are not given the chance to reach their full potential. I have met a lot of people when they see my dog do tricks, they say wow my dog can't even sit, or my dog is not very smart. Most likely they just never had the opportunity to show how smart they really are.

blacknym

Experienced Member
What a beautiful Pup!! and a smartypants from the look of it. Some people expect the dog to come preprogrammmed...So sad.

Glad he is doing Good now!

Dogster

Honored Member
A happy ending for this dog.:)
Deaf dogs aren't untrainable, they just need the right owner who is willing to train them.

Caiti

Experienced Member
I love stories like this.

My first dog, Trouble, was deaf and had the same problem! No body would adopt her. When we took her in she was a loving, devoted and talented dog who LIVED for flyball until the day she died.