Unlucky, But Blessed

Kim Abston

I guess the "unlucky" part is the back problems three of my little girls have suffered - I lost one baby at age three, one at age twelve, and one paralyzed at age five (she'll be twelve on Christmas Day--she was given three months to live, nearly four years ago--my vet says that love is her secret survival weapon!) and has been on a wheelchair ever since. Shortly after Hannah paralyzed (she's a 7lb sweetie), I was diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson's Disease, so I guess that was an unlucky thing, too. But, oh the blessings! There are days when I can barely walk, but I am blessed with puppies! I have three Dachshunds who bring smiles, laughter, happiness and joy into my life. Along with my husband Wayne, they carry me, they carry my heart. Anyway, consider me introduced! :confused:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
What a lovely heartwarming story, and i so admire your attitude!! I think your dogs are lucky to have YOU!!!!

So you have 3 doxies? is that right? And one of the doxies is paralyzed, with only use of her front legs only, is that right? And the other 2 doxies are babies, is that right?

well, HEARTIEST WELCOME!!! On days you are having trouble walking, i hope you pull up a chair here,
and search for great tricks to teach those 3 doggies!!! BEST OF LUCK and hope to seee you and those doxies around here!!!

Dogster

Honored Member
SUCH an inspiring story!!!! You and your dogs were MADE for eachother!!!! What a GREAT bunch!!!!:ROFLMAO: Welcome to DTA!!!!! Do your doxies know any tricks????;)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Wonderful attitude. :) Welcome to the Academy! Throughout the tricks forum and the newly re-opened challenge forum, you should be able to find lots of ideas for tricks. We have many helpful members here. :)

Look forward to seeing all your pups! Enjoy the site!

sara

Staff member
Welcome to the DTA!!!

I have 2 Doxie's of my own, both deaf and sight impaired Double Dapples, and such awesome little dogs!!!

I stress CONSTANTLY about my Doxie's backs! It's just one thing all Doxie owners worry about :( I live in a state of constant watchfullness (is that even a word? LOL) over my little ones... constantly looking for the first sign of pain. I mean, it's not like they would have come from good breeders, being double dapple, AND rescues!

Kim Abston

Thank you for your encouragement... yes, I agree, I watch constantly for my babies' backs. I thought my first one rupturing a disk was a fluke - I lost her. Then, Hannah's back went and I decided to commit to taking care of her. Then, my beloved Shari--who was always healthy and athletic with not an ounce of extra weight on her--ruptured her disk in 2010. Shari was already going blind and was terribly confused when her back legs would not work and she was in pain. Two vets said that if she were kept very still there was a slim chance she could recover, but after two days of trying to keep her still and sedated, we decided we were holding on for ourselves not her, so we asked the vet to help her find the doorway to heaven. I still grieve her daily.

Lai'Lah will be ten tomorrow, she was a rescue and (we do NOT tell her this!) is possibly [whispered] cha-wienie in heritage... so, I worry, but tell myself she may have a chance at being stronger in her back.

Thank you again for the warm welcome... I will enjoy reading posts and learning!
Kim

Attachments

Dogster

Honored Member
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAI'LAH!!!!! Your dogs are just THE CUTEST THINGS!!!!! I hope Lai'Lah's back gets stonger and improves!!!!:)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I haven't really known a ton of Doxies, I knew they were prone to back issues but not to this extent! Wow. Somehow the Doxies I've known haven't had back issues, including one that was disgustingly overweight, her owners just didn't care. :mad: She must have been either lucky for not having back issues, or unlucky for having owners who thought it was cute that she could barely move...
Adorable pictures of your pups. ^^

sara

Staff member
Actually, Chiweenies are one of the mixes I approve of, sorta. Mixing the CHi with the Dachshund retains what I love about the Doxie mostly, and shortens their backs, making them less prone to back issues... not that I'd ever do it, or buy one, but to me, it's like mixing Pointers with Dals to try to get rid of the kidney issues... a mix for the betterment of the dogs is a good one, in my mind :)

Kim Abston

Lai'Lah, is, in my opinion, the perfect mix of sweet and playful, gentle and confident, curious and a natural leader... no matter what her genetic "signature" is! I must say, I do so worry about further back problems that I am rather fussy about making certain my pups maintain a healthy weight. My vet says I have just drawn the short straw when it comes to back issues and that my girls are all at a healthy weight... right now. My only concern now, is treat training without making them fat! Should one simply reward with a tiny, tiny treat??

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YES!! yes, do use tiny itty bitty treats, and on days i am training a lot, i DO cut back his evening meal to allow for the extra calories he's had that day.

I make my own treats, from scratch, so i know they are not sugar-laden globs of flour and fats,
but actual nutrition............sometimes i suspect my homemade treats are healthier than his dog food is....
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/liver-cookies.4061/
^That is my healthy nutritious recipe, but, the "treats" section has other recipes as well. Most store bought treats are crappy, crappy crappy. Some store bought treats are very bad for dog health.

some ppl use carrot bits, or green beans, or frozen green beans. But, some dogs make better progress with an ever-changing variety of treats, a tiny bit of ham, then a homemade treat, then a tiny bit of hotdog, then a bit of chicken, all very very small,--LIKE THE SIZE OF PEA for small dogs---
but rotating the rewards around, can help keep a dog interested in the "game".:ROFLMAO:

ALSO, one can use tug-toys as reward, or tennis balls, or their favorite toy, or some new toy that they only get to tug on when you click that clicker, or whatever is HIGH VALUE NON-FOOD item to your particular dogs.
It is good idea, if one is using a tug-toy, that the dog knows the cue "drop it" or "let go" :ROFLMAO: or else, every single reward can end up as 10 minutes of tugging,:rolleyes: til dog gives toy back!!:ROFLMAO:

THAT IS GREAT to hear you are so so vigilant to keep your doxies at a proper weight!! boy, do i know some ppl in my town you should talk to....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dogs don't really care how big a treat is, a tiny taste is fine reward. Dogs even scour the floor in search of the tiniest crumbs, no crumb too small for a dog to enjoy.

for great "breakthrough" moments in training,---------
when the dog did reeeeeeeeeally great, or finally "got it":D
i still give tiny treats,
but i give one after the other after the other after the other, while praising my dog the whole time.....not one BIG treat. Not a whole handful at once, but a lil stream of treats coming, like 4 or 5 tiny treats, one after the other, and enthusiastic praise.

I hear that dogs see repeated treats, as higher value, than one big treat.

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU AND YOUR DOGS TO LEARN A TRICK! I can't wait to hear of your impressions, of your progress, i am hoping you will keep us posted on your progress!!!

Kim Abston

YOU are great! I am SO inspired... I'm also on the tornado map at the moment, but as soon as I'm not, I'm going liver shopping. (This is GREAT! My mother used to cook liver at least twice a month as a child to give us "good iron levels," so I know it has to be good for my pups!) Itty bitty treats are, seriously, very important for my babies, not just because of weight issues, but with Hannah being paralyzed, it's AWFUL if I give her anything that makes for "messy" tummy issues. If I make these and make them very, very small... her little body can be acclimated to them slowly. Thank you so much for all your kind interest.

sara

Staff member
I'm obsessed about weight with mine as well. Both are skinny (though Mouse is often too skinny)

I use their meals for trick training. I put their meal in their bowl (without adding water LOL) so I know exactly how much to use. this is a double bonus... it's meal time, the dogs are hungry, and they get the major benefit of working for their meals.