Trow A Blanket Over Your Head - Need Help

Mutt

Experienced Member
So I saw this video in which a dog takes a blanket/towel from the floor and trows it over it's own head. It looks like a fun trick to teach, but I have no idea how to teach this (it looks so easy :ROFLMAO:). Boef can't hold things for a long time if she doesn't have to do anything with it (boooooring...). Right now she either plays tug with it (which is another trick ;)) when I try to excite her or picks it up and trows it on the ground again (what is it than you want from me???). Anyone an idea how to get her to trow the towel in the air? She knows to look up on cue, but she will drop it before I can ask her that.
you can see it in this video at 0.20.
Anyone else up for this challenge? :D

threenorns

wasn't able to find a video trick for that, but here's how i would do it:

first off, dandy knows "get that" (pick up whatever it is at which i'm pointing) and "put it away" (put it into whatever it is i'm pointing at).

he also plays with ocky (his octopus) and piggy (his stuffed pink piggy backpack) by throwing them up in the air.

so i would get him to play with his toy, and when he tosses it, i would mark it, bigtime. probably voice, not clicker, because he gets even more revved up with voice marking and that would be needed for this. as he gets more consistent with throwing it up, i would introduce the command ("toss it!" or "flip it!" or something non-verbal such as a flick of my fingers).

then i would use "get that" to get him to pick up other things, such as my slipper or a hat, and get him to toss those.

then it would be "get that!" to grab the blanket and "toss it!" to have him toss it in the air.

at first, a moderate reward any time the blanket goes airborne but the moment it lands on his head, that's when i'd break out the brass band.

Evie

Experienced Member
How about teaching a dog to "shake" the towel first? Then you could reward if it lands on their head. I'll try this one out today. :)

I found this video of the "shake" trick:

Lol I was about to suggest just that!

It's the first thing that came to my mind.... Don't see why it wouldn't work.

MaryK

Honored Member
Love the trick, going to add it to my 'to do' list. Ra Kismet will shake his football (the wrecked ones) so I'll have to work on him shaking something soft. Will keep watching to see how others go!

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Love the trick, going to add it to my 'to do' list. Ra Kismet will shake his football (the wrecked ones) so I'll have to work on him shaking something soft. Will keep watching to see how others go!
Remi does the same thing with his wrecked soccer balls. :rolleyes:

Dogster

Honored Member
I have another idea!!!!:) How about teaching this first:

(2:52)

I have a general idea on how to teach it... first you have to teach the dog to pick up the cup, then swing their head up...I'm guessing, put your hand above their head and tell them to touch (with the cup in their mouth). I tried it out with Shivon, and so far she's learned how to pick the cup up properly. Any better ideas? Has anyone taught this before?

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon knows it!!!!!!!!!!:D:D The cup trick I mentioned above. It's so cute!! I just have to transition from a cup to a blanket. March break is next week (YAY!!!!!:) ) so I'll try my hardest to post a video.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Shivon knows it!!!!!!!!!!:D:D The cup trick I mentioned above. It's so cute!! I just have to transition from a cup to a blanket. March break is next week (YAY!!!!!:) ) so I'll try my hardest to post a video.
Two things:
1. Can you film it? :)

2. And you get March break? May I ask what that is? :confused: