Training multiple commands

itak

Recently I started training my puppy and ever since then I am in a constant dilemma over how many commands I should try and teach her correspondingly (if at all). Is there any known limit to the amount of tricks you can teach your dog in X amount of time? should the dog master the tricks taught before introducing a new trick or is it OK for it to learn multiple tricks? Maybe I should give my dog a few days to relax and practice after teaching a certain trick?
I fear sometimes that I put too much pressure on her yet she has proven to me that she is capable of learning multiple tricks or new tricks before mastering older ones.

Would love to hear some advice,
Thanks for the help!

yoyopoodle

I train service dogs to help people with disabilities. These dogs need to be reliable with about 90 commands by the time they are around 2 years old... when I have access to a pup from birth, training starts at 3 weeks of age using puppy formula on my finger-tip as a lure. They learn an average of 5-10 new commands per week and reach about 60 when they are 16 weeks old... these commands are at varying levels of training, some still needing a food lure and others completely on a verbal cue alone.

My opinion is that no amount is too much as long as training is kept fun, safe, and with a positive attitude... in fact, what is learned at a young age tends to become ingrained in the puppy's head for years, even if not practiced for months.

dat123

Experienced Member
itak;10208 said:
Recently I started training my puppy and ever since then I am in a constant dilemma over how many commands I should try and teach her correspondingly (if at all). Is there any known limit to the amount of tricks you can teach your dog in X amount of time? should the dog master the tricks taught before introducing a new trick or is it OK for it to learn multiple tricks? Maybe I should give my dog a few days to relax and practice after teaching a certain trick?
I fear sometimes that I put too much pressure on her yet she has proven to me that she is capable of learning multiple tricks or new tricks before mastering older ones.

Would love to hear some advice,
Thanks for the help!
I think , how many is not a problem, but more importantly observing the dog and seeing if she is getting confused by different commands, and more important is she enjoying it.
My rule of thumb is...new trick...only work on that trick and no longer than 20mins ( or until the dog is losing interest ), then around 10mins per day for the next couple of days, so it's still fresh in their mind. Tricks they already know I will ask for up to 5 or so, one after another.
The more you can teach her when she is young, the better it is years later. I've found they "learn to learn ".