Training More Than One New Skill/trick At A Time?

Discussion in 'General Dog Training' started by Evie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Evie Experienced Member

I was just wondering what people's views were on training more than one new thing at a time.. and I don't mean trying to train two completely new things in the same training session but perhaps you have multiple tricks/skills that you're currently working on? Or is it preferable to just work solidly on one new trick at a time until the dog has got it sorted?

MaryK likes this.

2. Dlilly Honored Member

It depends….. I like to just teach Shiloh one trick at a time. That's all she can handle. My foster dog, Chance, has had training sessions for different tricks. I prefer to just teach them both one at a time. That's just me though….
    MaryK, Dogster and tigerlily46514 like this.
  3. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

<---has actual written list of tricks i want to teach.:ROFLMAO: I think many dogs can learn more than 1 trick-in-progress at a time.

Usually, i am like Dilly, i also usually teach one trick at a time, but sometimes, i do teach two at a time---SO LONG AS THEY ARE NOT SIMILAR.

Like i could teach my dog to rollover in a blanket, and to heel while looking up at me, in very same week. Actually, i think i really did do both of those in same week...ha.

but i would not try to teach him to nod his head yes, and "show me your good side" (both are turn the head tricks--too similar) all in same week. Maybe a dog could learn tricks that are similar in same week, but, i tend to space the tricks out a few weeks apart, if they seem too similar in my mind.

lol, who knows,:rolleyes: maybe i am underestimating my dog.:ROFLMAO:
    maybe he could distinguish similar tricks at same lesson, but, i've never tried it. Probably, I'M the one who would get confused!!!:ROFLMAO: People smarter than i am, can probably easily teach multiple tricks all in same week.

typically, just as Buddy is finishing up one trick, i have already begun the next one, so there is always some overlap, even if i'm only doing one trick at a time. Sometimes i think the overlap helps him polish off the 'old' trick a lil faster, who knows.
    MaryK, Dogster and dogcrazy like this.
  4. dogcrazy Experienced Member

I think you can teach a dog more than 1 trick at a time but like Tiggerlily said they cant be simmilar. Example: leg weave and figure 8, beg and paw
    tigerlily46514 and Dogster like this.
  5. Dogster Honored Member

I agree. Also, if you are working on a trick that is harder (ex. roll in a blanket or nod your head yes or no) you can teach the dog another trick (of course, not similar). I don't think that you should teach both tricks during one trick session, maybe keep them seperate.:)

By the way, GREAT post (as always) Tigerlily!!!!:ROFLMAO:
    MaryK and tigerlily46514 like this.
  6. Anneke Honored Member

I am terrible at finishing off tricks:oops: So I am working on several tricks at once. But I only do two new tricks in one session. And like the others said not similar ones, as I found out the other day:D
    I am still trying to teach shame(paw on nose) and I wanted to start say your prayers...
    Now she sticks her head under my arm when I ask for shame and puts her nose under her paw when I do say your prayers....:ROFLMAO: Have to work out how to get that right:confused:
    But actually I have always been training more than one behaviour. Sit, down, come, heel, stay all in one session...
    Anyway, usually I have one trick I just started, one we already did a few times and one we are perfecting. And then I have her do some she knows very well, just to keep her motivated.
    I guess it depends on your dog how much "new stuff" you can throw their way. And how much you yourself can do:D
    MaryK, tigerlily46514 and Dogster like this.
  7. Pawbla Experienced Member

It depends on what you and your dog can handle I guess. I don't like teaching more than two in the same session. However, my dog can do a couple of tricks at home, that I haven't proofed outside, for example. So I'm actually working in more than two, but just not in the same session.
    MaryK, tigerlily46514 and Dogster like this.
  8. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

yeah, Pawbla brings up a good point, about "in the same session".

Even if i am working on two tricks in same week, i tend to have one lesson on Trick#1,
    and an hour or so later, have another lesson on Trick#2. Or even next day.

i guess i sort of alternate back and forth between the two tricks being taught, but like Pawbla says, "not in same session".

good point, Pawbla, that's how i do it, too.
    MaryK and Dogster like this.
  9. Dogster Honored Member

Yeah, I agree with Tigerlily, good point Pawbla!!!:D
    MaryK likes this.