Training Methods?

Discussion in 'Obedience Training' started by mtagntz, Sep 6, 2012.

1. mtagntz Active Member

I do not want to start a huge argument, that being said I am wondering what methods people use here. I have seen some different methods discussed.

Is this a "balanced" training website, or does it tend to sway one way or another?

Melinda and Thor
    Tâmara Vaz likes this.

2. Adrianna & Calvin Experienced Member

Hi Melinda.
    It's reward-based only. No shocking, choking, pinching, intimidation.
    Tâmara Vaz, Dlilly, Dogster and 2 others like this.
  3. mtagntz Active Member

Ok, cool :)
    Tâmara Vaz, Dogster and MaryK like this.
  4. jackienmutts Honored Member

Just curious ... what do you mean by a "balanced" site?
  5. mtagntz Active Member

Some sites I go to seem to have two sides that argue about training methods. Some are more for the dominance theory, and others are for the operant conditioning and whatnot.

It gets old and some of the harsher methods are triggering for me and I like to avoid them.
    Tâmara Vaz and MaryK like this.
  6. Adrianna & Calvin Experienced Member

The term 'balanced training' has been taken on by people who use both positive reinforcement and positive punishment; there is usually a lot of blather about how they use positive reinforcement plus 'consequences' for the dog. As if there are no consequences for dogs trained with reward-based methods. It's a strawman argument and very boring. They also say that every dog is different, so unless you've trained XYZ dog/dog breed you can't say squat; that they use a variety of methods to suit the dog and the situation, etc.

For a more critical look at the doubletalk, check out:
  7. mtagntz Active Member

Those are great articles, thanks! I especially like the second one. I understand that all dogs are different, but I do know that most respond to one style of training better than the other.
    Tâmara Vaz and MaryK like this.
  8. jackienmutts Honored Member

Ah, gotcha. I guess in that case, we can proudly say we're not balanced. (y):LOL:
  9. sara Moderator

No we are purely +R/-P and I will stop training "discussions" flat, if it happens. We do not allow people to advocate the use of +P and "dominance theory"
  10. sara Moderator

Kinda refreshing eh?
  11. MaryK Honored Member

Definitely not balanced trainers. I can testify to the fact that the dominance training doesn't work. Have two dogs, one an older dog suffering from Cushings, which does make him a bit 'grumpy' at times. The other a youngster. At times my youngster will get a bit 'over the top' with my older dog, resulting in a little growling. I just use either my click/treat or if not handy, a quiet 'shush boys' and leave them alone. All the anger vanishes and both lie quietly down.

Partner is still a bit 'old school' leader of the pack. Strides in yelling and bellowing at both dogs. Result the anger issues escalate into, as happened the other night, almost a fight situation.

So much for the 'leader of the pack' - it just doesn't work, not at all, not one bit! Positive Reinforcement Training is the ONLY right way to train a dog. And hopefully misguided partners!
    Tâmara Vaz and Dogster like this.
  12. MaryK Honored Member

Hear Hear Sara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would really hate to see dominance theory on this site!
    Tâmara Vaz and Dogster like this.
  13. Amateur Experienced Member

I would even dare to say some of us *cough *Dogster*cough* are more unbalanced
    Mutt, Anneke, dogcrazy and 6 others like this.
  14. Dogster Honored Member

Yes we're all postitve.:) We don't believe in all the nonsense corrections, dominance theory, pack leader, and all the other stuff. Can't get better than this, I must say.:D

Oh shut up, Amateur.:rolleyes::D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Mutt, Amateur, dogcrazy and 4 others like this.
  15. MaryK Honored Member

And our dogs are living, breathing, very happy, loving proof of the Positive Reinforcement Training only!
    Tâmara Vaz, southerngirl and Dogster like this.
  16. Tâmara Vaz Experienced Member

We are and will always be Positive Reinforcers!;)
    MaryK and Dogster like this.
  17. Puppylove Well-Known Member

I'm Positive all the way....
  18. Evie Experienced Member

Positive of course. But I must admit to verbally 'correcting' my dog when she gets herself into potentially dangerous situations. Aka, nipping at my horses hind feet. The horses tend not to appreciate the crazy little ball of black and white when she does that..
    Puppylove, Tâmara Vaz and MaryK like this.
  19. Tâmara Vaz Experienced Member

As I see my horses not many times, I decided to stay with horses or with Laika. Laika has no idea horses can kick...
    I must admit ,also, to verbally 'correcting' my dog sometimes, but I don't think this makes us no positives....
    MaryK likes this.
  20. dogcrazy Experienced Member

I am also with positive reinforcement!!
    rouen, Tâmara Vaz and MaryK like this.