Training A Blind Husky/wolf To Walk On Leash

BellaRicochet

Hi all,
Can any one give me a couple of ideas on how to train my wolfdog how to walk on a leash? She is blind and the leash /collar scares her. When i put a harness on her she thinks it's time to run and just sets sail.

sara

Staff member
First of all, I moved the thread as it was in the wrong section

Second, welcome to the DTA! Your dogs are gorgeous!

and finally it's awesome that you are giving a disabled dog a chance! I have deaf dogs, and one that is nearly blind as well :)

ok on to your question. Here are several videos to help you out. the first 2 are for training not to pull

And this one is about how to desensitize a dog to a harness. I know you're having issues with a leash and collar, not a harness, but the same concept applies,

I dont think her blindness comes into play here much at all, as long as you're not using any sort of painful tools like a prong collar or a shock collar, which would cause alot of anxiety in a dog who can't see.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Hi and welcome!

Targetting is my favorite way of getting a blind dog to loose leash - teaching a nose to hand cue can be very helpful...

Then use the steps I outlined yesterday here:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/d-o-g-does-not-spell-horse.5240/page-2#post-47992

Blind dogs can still be taught to give you a chin up "Look" - being bring your attention back to me. Just because the eyes don't work doesn't mean the nose doesn't - use smelly tasty treats to lead and a clicker still applies so it is more than doable!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Welcome to DTA!

Great advice above. Having had a dog (many years ago) who went blind at an early age, I can vouch for the fact that his nose went into overdrive. Use that nose almost as you would his eyes, just give him time to adjust to the new training (since he can't see what you're asking him to do, as he would in 'normal' clicker training). Let him target with his nose (meaning, yes targeting is done with the nose, but in some situations, you may only want him leading with his nose and you'll take that, or turning his head and basically pointing his nose, that type of thing - and click/treat), take your time and let him take his - I bet he does great!

If you have more and/or specific questions, please keep asking. More people will chime in, cuz there's nothing better than helping a physically challenged dog enjoy a full life, and helping you, help him, overcome his fears and frustrations.

Can I ask something tho - what kind of harness do you use, and what was her history with this harness, that she can 'run and set sail' with no eyesight? Just confused.

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome to DTA:DI think that's fantastic that you adopted a handicapped dog and such a BEAUTIFUL dog too:love: I cannot help but all the videos and advice here I am sure will help you to train her:). She's part wolf??

Dogster

Honored Member
WELCOME!!!:D What a beautiful dog!!!!:love: We'd LOVE to see some more pics of her!!! All the advice above is GREAT, hope it works for you!!! Please keep us posted on progress!!!:)

MaryK

Honored Member
It's perfectly legal in North America to own wolf hybrids, incase you're wondering MaryK :)
That's FANTASTIC to hear:D I absolutely ADORE wolves, met one once here, she was JUST SO BEAUTIFUL belonged to an American Indian, but you need a mass of permits etc. to keep one as a companion. And then it's highly unlikely you would be allowed to in a suburban situation. They're considered 'dangerous":mad: Think I'll consider moving to North America:D much more enlightened and civilized:D(y)

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Just as an aside if we are talking about the Husky in your profile pic - she doesn't look like a hybrid from that pic...I have rescued and worked with a small handful of 75% wolf hybrids and it is a completely different training plan the more wolf there is in the dog.

Are you just calling him/her a wolfdog? Was the blindness from birth? What happened if not? Is the blindness complete or can they still see light dark? This will help with future advice!