The Pups First Day At Work As Big Dogs

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
So the pups were at work with me everyday from the time they were 4 weeks old [when I adopted them] until they were 8 weeks old. They got very well socialized but 3 rambunctious pups up front was creating a bit of a roadblock and moreover people were starting to really interfere with their training so I left them home for a week.

** People interfering ranged from multiple customers allowing them to jump, climb and nip on them as "they were just babies and too cute not to let them" to the far opposite - people that felt they knew better than I did and decided to hold Juni's mouth closed and smack her on the snoot when she mouthed the hand I told them to take out of their 2 seconds before - to people who felt they should pinch their little feet for jumping at the barrier. You have never seen a Momma Bear in action until you discipline one of my dogs and in a highly inappropriate way. For the sake of my job and the safety of the pups - they came home. **

So this weekend I started taking them back to work - one pup and Ayla each day. That way they still get to socialize but in a more controlled way. Ayla is a great role model and it gives me time to do some individual real world training.

Jinx came on Saturday - she was great with all the people, fantastic with kids, great with other dogs - a real social butterfly. And she was very lovey with Ayla. They were so cute sleeping together by the register between classes.

The next day Jett came - he was a little more rambunctious but he settled beautifully about an hour or two into my shift. I always reward and capture for Settle so he got a good amount of practice in between customers.

Where Jinx and Ayla slept most of the day - he was alert and people watching for most of his day. He was great with people and their kids and as Sunday was slower he didn't meet as many dogs but did get a bit frightened by one of my clients dogs as they were leaving. Bobby [the other dog] did approach fast but I will have to work on his dog socialization skills a little I think.

While we were between classes I tried to take a short video of his loose leash walking progress - but boy trying to hold a phone/leash in one hand while not blocking the camera, with clicker/treats in the other was harder than I thought. :LOL: Here is all you get after cutting out all the finger and leash bits in the way...

Juni gets to come tomorrow - then Knoxx, then Luka, then we rotate again from the top - so Ayla comes and one of the other pups everyday. God I :love: my job sometimes!

Anneke

Honored Member
I can understand your feeling about someone correcting your dog!! I am the same!
Isn't it great to be able to bring your dog(s) to work;)

luckylego

Experienced Member
Oh gosh those are some adorable pics! Love the markings and the one blue eye!! :love:
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of a place do you work that you're able to take them along?

And I totally hear what you're saying about people disciplining your dog.. I caught my ex-roommate's girlfriend scruffing Lego with her hand raised above her head to smack her, all because she "wasn't listening" to her. Needless to say she was banned from my house (and probably feared for her life) from that day on!

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
LuckyLego - I am a dog trainer for Petco...:)

Sorry for the lack of updates - haven't been very well still but here is a bit from Juni at work. She was animated and alert like Jett and is a customer favorite - probably because she has the most white and a more open looking face and she is the fluffiest...

She was trying so hard to watch all the activity that she eventually started falling asleep with her head up...

We did some loose leash with her too - she is brilliant at it as well - well they all are really!
The brick path in the second half is outside the building on our last potty break of the night so lots of distractions!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
<---works to get back up into my chair after falling out of it in shock.

NO WAY! NO WAY do you have a 10 week old baby dog walking that nicely in a loose leash!! Unnnbelievable....to me, anyway! wow and WOW! kudos! and wow again........:eek:

southerngirl

Honored Member
WOW that is so awesome that you have the 3 Js walking on a loose leash. (y) I think that teaching a puppy loose leash walking May be easier than an adult just because if you NEVER let it pull as in if it pulls on the leash you plant your feet than the pup will go "when I pull I can't move so I'll stay beside mum" as with an adult they have already learned if they pull they move forward. I would love to get a puppy just to see if it works/how well it works.

Anneke

Honored Member
Oooh, I know that expression!! I am NOY tired, I am NOT tired....Jinx still does that(at 2 years old)She doesn't want to miss a thing!!:D So adorable.
And pretty good loose leash walking there!!!:eek:

Evie

Experienced Member
WOW that is so awesome that you have the 3 Js walking on a loose leash. (y) I think that teaching a puppy loose leash walking May be easier than an adult just because if you NEVER let it pull as in if it pulls on the leash you plant your feet than the pup will go "when I pull I can't move so I'll stay beside mum" as with an adult they have already learned if they pull they move forward. I would love to get a puppy just to see if it works/how well it works.

Totally agree. Wish I was aware of the concept of loose lead walking BEFORE I got Evie... By the time I knew about the concept she'd already learnt to pull. On the plus side, she doesnt pull much, only little bits and we're constantly working on it.

Well done with those pups, they're doing awesome :D They're so lucky to have you