The Hedgehog And The Bin...

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
So out walking in our local park this evening and I always pause to feed the birds, Ripley normally just wonders about and sniffs around (and chases the odd squirrel too..!). My attention was on the birds and the next thing I know Ripley is howling and howling next to a litter bin. I call her over and she comes and I calm her down but then she trys to lead me straight back to the bin. She is not a barky or howly dog when out walking, she is vocal when playing with dogs but that is it. She goes back to the bin and starts to howl and bark again so I follow her over and look in the bin and there is a hedgehog stuck in there! Ripley carries on howling until I carefully pull out the bin bag and release the hedgehog into a nearby bush, I could see it was still breathing, just balled up. I then look at Ripley who comes over nudges my hand, wags her tail and walks away all happy again...! I think my girl saved a hedgehog tonight!!! :D

MaryK

Honored Member
That is soooooooooooooooo beautiful:love: Ripley you're a heroine saving a little Hedgehog's life! HUGE ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))). Aren't dogs wonderful, they know when another animal is in trouble and tell us.:love:

One little hedgehog safely home with his family, all thanks to the wonderful Ripley! :):love:

running_dog

Honored Member
Love it! Ripley is such a nice dog, Zac would have wanted to play with the hedgehog afterwards, he thinks they are a unique kind of toy ball, even when his tongue gets prickled he never learns.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
How on earth did it end up in a bin? Spiderhog, perhaps??
That is what I thought, Elissa... Either one of the drunken uni students thought it would be funny to put a hedgehog in the bin or with the smell of the dregs left from the empty cans in the bin it really did turn into a 'spiderhog' and ended up being a rather pissed hedgehog... :ROFLMAO: Either way when I did a little loop of the park the hedgehog had made its merry little way and was not there so I am figuring it was fine (at least I hope so). Still proud of my Ripley for telling me something was not ok... ;)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Love it! Ripley is such a nice dog, Zac would have wanted to play with the hedgehog afterwards, he thinks they are a unique kind of toy ball, even when his tongue gets prickled he never learns.
Thank you, Runningdog, Ollie is the same with anything like that!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
That is soooooooooooooooo beautiful:love: Ripley you're a heroine saving a little Hedgehog's life! HUGE ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))). Aren't dogs wonderful, they know when another animal is in trouble and tell us.:love:

One little hedgehog safely home with his family, all thanks to the wonderful Ripley! :):love:
How can animals have such a wonderful sense of things like that when humans can't?