Tellington Touch Book Recomendations?

Hayley Thompson

Hey, just looking for some advice! Have any of you used Tellington Touch before? I have read that it can be great for fear, anxiety, jumping, chewing, etc. and would like to try it! I'm looking for a book or DVD to buy to teach me how to do it and wondering if anyone knows of a good one they would recomend?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Linda Tellington-Jones is incredible, definitely recommend ANY of her books/DVDs. I have a couple of her books and love them both, Getting in TTouch with Your Puppy and The Tellington TTouch: A Revolutionary Natural Method to Train and Care for Your Favorite Animal. Her books, at first, are a little bit hard to follow so you might have to re-read sections of it at least twice. I would say try to get a DVD and a book, so you can see her doing it and get the written explanation too.

Anneke

Honored Member
I have used some TTouch on Shane, when he got old and had some trouble getting up. It worked like a charm! But I also found out, I have to be totally relaxed doing it, or else it doesn't work;)
I am still waiting for a TTouch workshop at my dogschool. Last year it was cancelled, not enough people.
I used a few touches on Cooper when he was young. He had terrible growing pains and was growing out of proportion. That caused him to have backproblems. I went to see a natural healer who showed me which touches to use.
I do have a book on it, but I don't know the english title. I think it is the second book TX mentioned.

Hayley Thompson

Thanks Anneke! I went to the bookstore last night after work and they didn't carry it, so I'll have to order it :( Do you guys get as disgusted as I do going into the book store: Our bookstore isnt that big and it only has 2 little shelves for dog books and one shelf is totally just for Cesar Milan's books...grrr...I feel like waiting there until people go to buy and suggest other books for them instead!!

I also read about anxiety wraps, have you tried those?

Anneke

Honored Member
No I haven't, but I do know someone who used a thundershirt for her dog. It is based on the principles of the bodywrap. Her dog is very fearfull of thunder and firework. She used it this New year and her dog was a lot calmer than usual. She didn't have to use drugs at all.
I'm trying to find an english link for the shirt...
http://www.thundershirt.com/

Hayley Thompson

Yeah I've heard of thundershirts, Riley is good with Thunder storms (thankfully because it seems we've been having one every evening here!) and I suppose it makes sense as it relates to t-touch and accupunture, I'd like it to see if it works for Riley's hyperness in the car...hmmm more researching is a must!

heidio

I haven't heard of Tellington Touch before. Max doesn't seem to have any bad behavioral problems...other than being very stubborn about coming in from outside....he must see a treat or he'll stand there for hours. On my list of priorities this isn't a concern. It just shows me he likes his treats.
What is the Tellington Touch and is it only used one behavioral problems?

Anneke

Honored Member
I'll give you a link to the ttouch website;) http://www.ttouch.com/
In a nutshell, it is a sort of massage technique used to calm down, relieve pain, make an animal more selfaware.
It is not only used for behavioral problems, but also for physical problems. But you can use ttouch for your healthy problemfree dog too. Just to relax him.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
TTouch is kind of like acupressure for dogs. That's the not the best explanation for it but that's the best I can do. It is not used only for behavior problems, actually it's used for health issues and just for the pure enjoyment of the dog. :) It is a little more commonly heard of in the horse world, and has been used on performance horses with sport-related injuries as well as horses that have either survived a trauma or have been abused. It helps develop a deeper bond between human and animal, and for some animals it is the only way they can be reached when nothing else works. Linda has used it on dogs, cats, horses, gorillas, camels, and a HUGE variety of other animals, with the same success rate on all of them.
It's a very specific type of massage that targets certain areas. It is even used on people. TTouch increases bloodflow to areas that are not normally targetted in other types of massage, so it can help with body awareness and healing of injuries.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
T-Touch is wonderful! My girl is fear-aggressive, and went thru a "Feisty-Fido" class a few years ago, and that was stressed as part of the recovery, and taught in class. We were urged to do T-Touch a couple times a day, as it relieves stress - and fear-aggressive dogs (who encounter dogs on walks, etc) tend to carry that stress with them .. day, to day, to day. She would see me sit on the floor and call her over, and just come flop (knowing what was coming). She loves it! :p It really helped her, I'd do it before walks, and at the end of the day, and I do it now occasionally .. just because.

This thread is a good reminder .. for me. We have a Nosework Trial coming up in 2 weeks, and suddenly her "Alert" has been suffering. Not sure if she's tired, or ?? She also just got over a sprain, or strain, or ?? a few weeks back. I'm going to use T-Touch on her daily for the next 2 weeks and make sure she's well-relaxed and feeling really good before this trial, this may be just the thing we need. I know it's really helped her in the past, and I love that extra time we spend together just relaxing, it's really good time - and it doesn't take all that long.

I think Anneke and Tx clarified ~ T-Touch isn't only used for behavioral problems, it's a good way to just relax your dog, it's used to increase blood flow so relieves tension, it's wonderful bonding time, and it's just plain 'ol nice quiet time with your dog (or cat, or horse, or ... ).

heidio

Thanks for the link...very interesting, I'll have to check it out in the bookstore. Sounds like nice bonding time with Max.