Teaching Peoples Names?

mewzard

Experienced Member
Not sure if this is general training....doesn't seem like a trick though.
How would you go about teaching your dog the peoples names in the house?

abby_someone

I would like to know this as well for sure, but this was how I was planning on teaching it:
Have my kids stand close with treat. One calls Kato, he gets a click and atreat, so on and so on. After a while, I would add their names before they called him. THEN, I would just say their names (no more calling him) after I have noticed that he was looking/going in their direction with only their names.

I really wasn't sure if this would work, only my Dane learned this by herself (probably in much the same manner) after years of living with us.

bekah1001

Honored Member
another way is similer to abby's ^ but instead someone hides with a treat cup and you say go find blah blah than blah blah shakes the cup and calls your dogs name.... that's a version I heard

reveuse

Ive been wondering this too. Ro has learned "penny" grandma"willow" and kristen" but only the first two will go to on command and other than saying lets go to _ or say hi to _ I never tried teaching on purpose. I wanted to teach some to whisper and also teach "watch __" to ro... Cant figure out how tho , is not working to reward him when he looks @ penny during class lol

Jukes

I taught it like a 'find it' game (lol). I got my Fiancée
to stand in the middle of the living room, then as Jukes rushed up for cuddles I clicked, and said Fiancée's name, and he gave Jukes a treat. Jukes then just stood there watching him so I called him back to me, then released him. He wandered straight back to my Fiancée, and I clicked, said name, and gave another treat. This time when I called him back I said go to ......., as he was already getting ready to go. Again click and treat when he did. After a few sessions I could send Jukes to him, then we practised where my Fiancée taught Jukes in exactly the same way to go to me (this didn't take long at all ;)). Now we have our own private messanger, I'll actually give Jukes something and he'll take it to my Fiancée like the keys, or a sock or something like that - it's a great party trick - my sister was shocked when we were sitting, having a chat and Jukes comes in with a note from my Fiancée who was in the garden asking where the new plant pots where, and she practically fell off her seat when I wrote a reply and Jukes took it back (haha):)

charmedwolf

Staff member
Ours always learned over the course of living with us. Kratos will respond to pointing more than actual names but Isis will even open doors to go find people. Jinx is a little odd as sometimes she'll understand othertimes she will just look at you like "What? Who is that?"

abby_someone

it's a great party trick - my sister was shocked when we were sitting, having a chat and Jukes comes in with a note from my Fiancée who was in the garden asking where the new plant pots where, and she practically fell off her seat when I wrote a reply and Jukes took it back (haha):)
LOVE it!