Teaching A Dog To Stay Within Boundaries

Dioritt

Hi.

I live in a house where the front gardens are open onto each other and the street. Unfortunately, the council has rules in our area that doesn't allow us to fence them in so I'm wondering how I'd go about teaching Alf to stay on the lawn and not go onto the road/drive.

Obviously, I try not to let him out the front without his lead at all, but there are times when he slips past. He's fine if I open the door to somebody or go out to the bin/car because I put him in 'down' first and he stays there, but other people (especially my son) have a 'knack' of forgetting there's a dog here and he'll go out. He's never left the street but he will go a few gardens down or on the road and I really don't want this. Although there isn't much traffic (it's a cul-de-sac) he could still be hit, and besides, the neighbours don't really want other people's dog running around their front gardens.

Tips, anybody?

Dioritt

That video's brilliant. Thank you :D I'll get to work on this tomorrow :-)

I'll have a read through of the linked thread, too. Hopefully he'll 'get it' reasonably quickly. Sometimes he picks things up at lightening speed, other times it doesn't seem to sink in at all and then all of a sudden he has it.

SD&B

Experienced Member
Sometimes we have training issues not related to the dog at all, but we have to resolve them with the dog.

I'd like to hear how the boundary training goes. That seems like the best solution.

Dioritt

Well, we haven't actually started on this at all yet. We've started taking the Bronze Good Citizen classes and have a few things that need perfecting for that if we're going to get the award at the end so I'm working on those instead. Once we have those nailed, I'll start on the boundary training. If only there were more hours in a day..... (sigh).

Dlyteful

This is amazing and looks like tons of work...I think Layla and I will need to work on this come the summer. She got out the back yard once and I almost died. If she decides to take off there is no catching her she is so fast.

MaryK

Honored Member
Hopefully Layla will not take off again. But if she does and she doesn't come when called DO NOT CHASE HER that will make her worse as she'll think you want a game of chase:eek: The best, and hardest thing to do, is call and walk or run in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION.

The only other thing is, some dogs love cars, so get the car and driver after her. Chances are she'll jump into the car and think it's all grand fun!!!!!!!! I had to do this with one of my rescue dogs who hadn't got recall into his head at that point. Partner had to drive down the street and when he got close, stopped the car and the dog hopped in.

Dlyteful

Oh I figured that out quick when it happen. I already knew she would probably try the catch me if you can (which she loves and I hate!!!) LOL. So what I did was laid down in the middle of my front lawn. Layla can’t resist pouncing if you are laying down flat LOL. So she came to attack me (attack as in try to nibble my ears and lick my face). that’s when I caught her. But i did almost panic and you are right I would have had a very difficult time walking in the opposite direction. Layla's recall is not great at all. She thinks she can choose when to listen to it...so I’m going to start over with a new word like one of the posts here recommend.

MaryK

Honored Member
Love her 'attack' great fun:D Great idea to lay down, would have loved to have seen the neighbor's faces though:LOL:

Layla's still pretty young, so don't despair. Ra Kismet took forever to learn recall/come. He's pretty good now, though still not 100%, will stand just a couple of feet away, especially late at night (for the last nature call) when you want him in NOW not next week, and take a good look around as if to make sure there's nothing more interesting happening before reluctantly strolling in, even treats don't always speed up the process!.:rolleyes:

Some dogs like my older boy Zeus and his late sister Tiger Lily learn it so quickly it's mind blowing! Didn't really have to work on recall at all they both just 'got it' from the word go. Others though, like Ra Kismet, take forever!!!!!!!!! He had the worst recall ever until he was around two and a bit and he's almost three now, so a LOT of time spent on that one.

jakee57

Its common Issue with in all dog owner to train the dog with, systematic , organized and controlled process of dog
training, due to this I want to train my small dog for to stay with in boundaries and also want a dog training tips for
my dog by which we train our dog withself....

Maura

Watched the video. Glad I'm not the only one that throws treats. If this won't work for you, could you put an enclosure around your porch, kinda make it a decorative thing?