Target Training

wenryder

Hi folks,

Obie and I have started target training today. He already knows "touch" which he touches his snout to the palm of my hand, and knows to follow my palm when in motion. We learned that one when we started agility training to keep him in check in the ring.

So I went out to look for supplies to built my own target. At Michaels, I found a cute children's fairy wand (blue glitter post with shiny star on the end) for only $1.50! I trimmed off all of the dangly bits, and the star is a fairly good size, and I started right away. I started without a command, and clicked/treat whenever he touched his snout to the star. I've already introduced distance and have started adding the command "Target", and he's picking it up SO quickly.

I just wanted to share our progress, because it all happened to fast! Imagine how cute it looks for him to follow the magic wand. Hehe.

Thanks Jean for posting instructions in the Classroom area on this one (level 4 I think). Once we are confident with the target, I will start with the crawl.

Cheers!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
No problem! You can also use post-it notes and put them all over the house on walls, etc and get your dog to touch them. :)

Ina

Ohhhh, this is cute. What a great idea ! I have one in yellow that flashes when I push a button at the end. Wonderful if I have to entertain kids with the dog. Will try straight away in our next training session.
Thanks for sharing !