Surprising Dog Breeds

Honored Member
Has any one else been surprised by a breed of dog the first time they met one face to face?
(eg, by their size, coat texture, colour... etc)

For example, today on Holly's off-leash sunday walk we went somewhere where there are usually a lot of off-leash dogs.

Near the end of the walk we met a Basset Hound (well, actually two) for the first time and I have to say I was extremely surprised by their size. I already knew that Basset Hounds were classed as large dogs despite their short height, but I had never actually met one and I guess I never appreciated just how large they are in real life.

They don't look that big in pictures and I guess I just thought that the large classification was an exageration or that they must be on the lower end of "large". But no, they actually were large, long and wide with really thick legs and massive feet. If they were the height of a lab they really would be huge.

Even Holly was puzzled by them, she usually doesn't like large dogs and often wont even go over to say Hello to them, she likes small dogs and will play and chase with them. But with the basset hounds it was like she thought they were the right height (their faces weren't towering above her) so she wasn't afraid of them, but then when she looked at their bodies they were massive, she really did seem confused and didn't know what to do :LOL:

And then to make it even more amazing, these two bassets ran to their owners (the owners had continued walking while Holly and the bassets were interacting). I don't know if any one else has seen a basset hound run, but :eek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The short tree-trunk like legs... and all the loose skin...:ROFLMAO: it really was amazing

sara

Staff member
LOL yeah, Bassets are very surprising if you dont know them... and IF they run (they're not often inclined to), they are hilarious!!!

Greyhounds surprise me every time I pet one. They have short hair, and I always expect them to have fur like any other shorthaired dog, sleek and prickly if rubbed backwards...

But they are INCREDIBLY SOFT! I cant even describe it!

Honored Member
Oh yes,
I met my first Greyhound last year. She was in a terrible condition, but her fur was still so soft and she was so gentle.
About a month ago I also met my first whippet (actually, 3 whippets and an italian greyhound), two of the whippets were puppy's, their fur was so soft, it was like silk (especially compared to Holly who has a slightly wiry coat). If you would believe it, puppy whippet fur is even softer than greyhound :love:

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh yes,
I met my first Greyhound last year. She was in a terrible condition, but her fur was still so soft and she was so gentle.
About a month ago I also met my first whippet (actually, 3 whippets and an italian greyhound), two of the whippets were puppy's, their fur was so soft, it was like silk (especially compared to Holly who has a slightly wiry coat). If you would believe it, puppy whippet fur is even softer than greyhound :love:
Oh yes, it is!!! That is why Shivon's fur is sooo soft...:love:

There are 3 greyhounds in our dog park.:) I love them soo much!!!! 2 of them are really gentle but one is crazy, lol:LOL: Also, you wouldn't expecct a GREYHOUND to be lazy, would you???? One of the greyhounds surprised me cuz he almost never runs:sleep:

And a basset's bark.... LOL it's hilarious!!!! It sounds like a mix of a bark and a howl.:ROFLMAO: And they look soo funny when they run, especially with Shivon running circles around them:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Neat question!!

dogs i was either stunned by,
or surprised by,
include
greyhounds--------their eyes, their eyes are so so gorgeous, very hard to stop admiring their eyes. and Sara is right about their fur, it actually can feel like tiny toothpicks when embedded into a car seat...and Dogster is right, lots of greyhounds ARE COUCH POTATOES!!!:ROFLMAO:

Irish Wolfhounds, just seeing one is an experience not to be missed, they remind me of kings in dogsuits or something, very majestic dogs, and i did not expect such a sweet sweet face.

The Giant Schnauzer, wow, i did not even know what it was at first,:ROFLMAO: cuz the first one i ever saw had a weird hair clip, wow, what a dog, just very powerful looking dog.

And watching an afghan hound in motion, running full speed, is something to behold, hard to describe, whole lotta kinetics going on there between the speed of the dog, and the fur elegantly fluttering along, wow. Kind of weird almost --you almost want to ask, "What IS that?"
but still pretty to look at.
and it's neat to look at an afghan hound, and try to truly realize, how OLD and how ANCIENT that breed IS....almost makes a person dizzy to consider this dog so far far back in time.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i was also surprised by St Bernards drooling.
i knew they drooled,
but the frequency and amounts of it, surprised me. I dated a guy with a St Bernard, and he kept towels hanging from every doorknob in the house, to have at the ready, to wipe the dogs face,
over
and
over....all day long.
struck me as odd.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Yes,
Saint Benards sure I've heard how huge they are but seeing them in person WOW I mean they are HUGE Missy looks like a miget standing next to them. LOL a little of topic but my neighbors husky came into our yard so Chase ran over to her I burst our laughing our 60 pound dog looked like a midget next to the husky and I thought Chase was big :ROFLMAO:.
Border Collies I personal think they are the most stunning dog when ever I see them in person I just stop and stare at them they are such beautiful dogs man I want one so bad.
Standard Poodle first time I saw one I was about 9 or 10 me and my cousin thougth it was a bear:ROFLMAO: don't laugh at me to much it was in need of a hair cut. Me and my cousin ran away screaming.

bekah1001

Honored Member
i was also surprised by St Bernards drooling.
i knew they drooled,
but the frequency and amounts of it, surprised me. I dated a guy with a St Bernard, and he kept towels hanging from every doorknob in the house, to have at the ready, to wipe the dogs face,
over
and
over....all day long.
struck me as odd.
Reminds my of a Newfoundland I met for the first time. It surprised how much it drooled!. I was petting him under the chin and it was soaked with spit. Warning do put your head near the Newfie's head. He will shake his head and drool will go flying on your face

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Standard Poodle first time I saw one I was about 9 or 10 me and my cousin thougth it was a bear:ROFLMAO: don't laugh at me to much it was in need of a hair cut. Me and my cousin ran away screaming.
I did the exact same thing the first time I saw one; I was the same age and everything! I was at the pet store with my mom, I turned around and jumped, and I screamed a little! I agree they look like a bear when they need a hair cut! :ROFLMAO:

Honored Member
Met a Great Dane close up for the first time last weekend (I had only seen one in the distance before).

He was HUGE. :eek::D:love:

His head was above my elbow (and I'm not particularly short) and when he ran (well...galloped) it made him look even bigger!

He touched noses with Holly and it looked like a cartoon (massive. tall, smooth, elegant Great Dane vs small, short, scruffy, stocky PugX) :LOL: . Holly's head wasn't even as high as his elbow :LOL:
She was the size of his head.

Amazing!

southerngirl

Honored Member
My neighbor breed Great Danes. I would go over and play with them. They are Huge dogs most of them were as big as her miniature ponies some bigger. I always got mad at the breeder cause she kept breeding this one female who always produced 1 deaf, blind or both puppy. SHE PUT THEM TO SLEEP IF THEY WERE NOT BOUGHT SOON ENOUGH. I begged and begged my mom for one that was deaf and partially blind she was so cute sweet and smart but at the time we had three dogs so we couldn't and she was put to sleep just because she was deaf and somewhat blind:cry::cry:

Anneke

Honored Member
I had never seen a curly coated retriever. A little over a year ago someone contacted me about walking his dogs. He was on a working vacation in the next village and had to drive back to his city twice a week for work. Back home his dogs would go with a dogwalker, so he wanted the same for them here.
He had two curly's, a male and a female, and a labrador.
I always thought they would be the same size as a lab, but in fact they are bigger.
Very nice and well behaved dogs, great personality!

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Mine is not such a rare breed :LOL:. I was surprised by the silky Brittany fur. I had never been able to pet one because owners usually let them off leash and Brittanies have a tendency to not trust strangers. Some months ago a somewhat confident one approached me - his fur was so soft I can't even describe it! I guess that's what people feel about Winston when they pet him :ROFLMAO: .

MaryK

Honored Member
My neighbor breed Great Danes. I would go over and play with them. They are Huge dogs most of them were as big as her miniature ponies some bigger. I always got mad at the breeder cause she kept breeding this one female who always produced 1 deaf, blind or both puppy. SHE PUT THEM TO SLEEP IF THEY WERE NOT BOUGHT SOON ENOUGH. I begged and begged my mom for one that was deaf and partially blind she was so cute sweet and smart but at the time we had three dogs so we couldn't and she was put to sleep just because she was deaf and somewhat blind:cry::cry:
So sad, breaks my heart to hear of breeders putting down 'imperfect' puppies. Deaf/blind dogs can be trained and seem to be even more loving, if possible, than 'normal' puppies. Maybe because they have even greater focus on us????

MaryK

Honored Member
Hungarian Pullie (sorry not sure of the correct spelling) is the one dog which had me tossed the first time I met one. LOL wasn't sure which way was coming or going, they look the same both ends:D Wasn't till I received a lovely doggy kiss that I knew the difference:D.

Also adore Lurchers and all the other breeds mentioned above. Irish Wolfhounds are gentle giants - though can 'terrify' cab drivers. Friend didn't have fare money on him, so taxi driver agreed to drive us back and come to the door for his fare (we were kids so I guess he took a compassionate view). One Irish Wolfhound, a real sooky dog' came to the door and 'reared up' - guess the sight of a giant dog rearing up in the moonlight was too much for the poor driver:ROFLMAO: He fled, we had to take the fare down to the depot next day - sans the dog:D

rouen

Experienced Member
The breed that usually catches me off guard is the Great Dane. The name itself should give it away, but to see one in person, if you're not regularly exposed to them, they can be quite the sight. Danes are pretty common around here, but it's still not every day, or every week you see one. Another breed would be Malamutes, they look a lot smaller in pics. We have one that comes into the store frequently, his head is almost to my chest.