Success!!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Missy greeted a dog!!!:D It was my neighbors little Pomeranian/Dachshund. It took about 20-30min. to get Missy to greet him. It took so long not because I couldn't get Missy up to him without barking, but the little dog is a nervous dog so he was jumpy, every time Missy tried to smell him he jumped away and it didn't help that Missy started to whine and bark out of frustration. I found treats helped Missy keep quiet and lil dog calm. I hope to do the same thing with this lil dogs brother Copper. If your intersted in reading the whole thing of doing this in detail go to my blog http://missyunleashed.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/im-so-freakin-happy/

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm thrilled for your both!!!!!!!!! That's fantastic and yes, I read your blog post, it does seem as if Missy's 'problem' is frustration in that she wants to meet and greet every dog she sees! Awesome work, I just knew she would 'come good'. Keep it up Southerngirl:D:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
YAY!! Today Missy met the dogs brother it took maybe a minute or 2. This is the dog that's been making my walks a pain because he often charges down my neighbors hill(not his house) which is already a place where Koda(Husky) lives so not cool. So hopefully now that she has met him it'll be bark once or twice than hush up. I'll put some picture up later on my blog. http://missyunleashed.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/met-another-dog/

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Fantastic!!!! Great work!!! I read your blog posts too - and it does sound like she's just hyper-excited, not 'reactive', per se. Hard when you're not positive, tho, cuz they surely keep you on your toes. To me, it sounds like she's a loud-mouth who can barely contain herself when she sees other dogs. :LOL: I'm working with one now like that - sheesh, you can practically hear her a mile away, shrieking and barking - but she loves other dogs, and can't wait to get close to them, and is actually very good with them once she finally does meet them - but oy!, the 'getting there'.... :eek::confused: .... enough to wake the dead!! :ROFLMAO: You may have truly had an "ah-ha" moment today, which will hopefully make things so much easier for both of you!! Bravo and congrats on the great day!!! (y)

MaryK

Honored Member
Fantastic work Southerngirl!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with Jackie, it would definitely seem as if Missy is just hyper-excited and not 'reactive' per se. Which means you can relax a little, as you know she's not going to turn nasty or do anything untoward, except pull of course which is hard. :D I'm so thrilled for you both, awesome!!!!!!!!!(y):D:cool:

In your post you said she didn't even 'react', except to give a look, when Cooper tried to mount her. That's really awesome as even a well mannered well behaved dog can react to that kind of treatment! Congratulations Missy, VERY well behaved. And then walked along beside him. She's getting there. Maybe she does need some 'off leash' play with other dogs, making up for her 'lost' puppyhood maybe??

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks everyone for the positive comments. Now I really need her to stop barking at dogs maybe her having met a few dogs will help with eliminating the barking. I really did think that she would want to play with the dogs or at least be more interested in them than she was. I'll relax a lot more once I see her around dogs her size and bigger dogs because so far she has met 3 small dogs and one 50 pound Boxer. Her reaction toward the Boxer was Way worse than the smaller dogs. She didn't even bark at my Nana's dog(mini Chi) who she met off leash in my house.