Stay Away From Daddy

brody_smom

Experienced Member
How do I teach Brody to stay away from my husband without giving him the impression that Daddy is dangerous? We've worked long and hard to get Brody more comfortable with all the people who live here, so that he's not barking at them for walking around or talking. He still does this sometimes, but the biggest problem is that he wants to check Daddy out all the time, and Daddy doesn't want him anywhere near. This is made worse by summer weather because hubby can't stand wet noses or tickly whiskers touching his bare legs. Sometimes Daddy puts Tiger Balm on his legs for muscle pain, and this seems to make him more attractive to Brody. But the more I call Brody away from him (Brody won't listen to Daddy at all ... no bond ) the more he sees him as a curiosity, or something to be afraid of, and he's started up the barking again. I have taught "leave it" but it only seems to work for food on the floor. Is there a good way to generalize that cue for other things, like people?

Mutt

Experienced Member
Sent him to his mat? Or would that mean that he has to be there the whole day?

My guess is that because he doesn't want the dog around, he is causing this behavior. In my experience dogs will get drawn to people/things when you are making a big deal out of it (my dogs for instance will walk right pass other people off leash, but if someon starts acting very exaggerated, lifting arms, nervous and darting away they will check it out).

So I would let Brody get one good sniff (so he can check it out once) and than completely ignore him. The best solution is that your husband gets comfortable with the dog being around (getting away the tension as Brody can also sense this). You can use rabbit fences or something similair in the beginning so that the Brody can't get very near your husband but still is in the same room.

I think it would be a good idea if your husband would do some simple things with brody, give him his food for instance.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Sent him to his mat? Or would that mean that he has to be there the whole day?

My guess is that because he doesn't want the dog around, he is causing this behavior. In my experience dogs will get drawn to people/things when you are making a big deal out of it (my dogs for instance will walk right pass other people off leash, but if someon starts acting very exaggerated, lifting arms, nervous and darting away they will check it out).

So I would let Brody get one good sniff (so he can check it out once) and than completely ignore him. The best solution is that your husband gets comfortable with the dog being around (getting away the tension as Brody can also sense this). You can use rabbit fences or something similair in the beginning so that the Brody can't get very near your husband but still is in the same room.

I think it would be a good idea if your husband would do some simple things with brody, give him his food for instance.
My husband acts around Brody the way some people are with snakes or spiders, like they make their skin crawl. He doesn't want Brody anywhere near him, and definitely does not want to touch him. I agree the best solution is for him to get comfortable, but he makes such a big deal about being uncomfortable, drawing attention from everyone when all Brody did was touch him with a wet nose. In the beginning, I had him feed Brody a couple of meals, but he figures he's done his part and that should be enough for the rest of his life. He pays for Brody's food (like he could even know that!) so Brody should respect him and not bark at him when he comes home from work.

Mutt

Experienced Member
Well that explains brody's behavior.
May I ask why he is so tensed around brody?
Is it fear for dogs in general or only brody?

I think working with a barrier to get your husband more relaxed around brody would be a good start.
Maybe take him with you on a walk in an area in which you won't encounter others (so he sees the relaxed side of brody) or let him trow a ball with him when brody is into that?

Honored Member
Holly and Lewis don't have anything to do with my Dad. He doesn't like dogs so he just completely ignores them. He will once in a while pretend he likes them and gives them a pat but for the most part he ignores them and they ignore him.

Even if he walks them it doesn't change anything, the dogs still ignore him for the most part. The dogs know who likes them and who doesn't, I think this has resulted in them prefering females over males (me, my mum and my sister give the dogs the most attention etc).

I think if your husband ignored Brody, really and completely ignored him, then Brody might give up on him and ignore him too (although he will still probably bark when he comes home, Holly and Lewis bark when my Dad comes home but stop when they see who it is).
If Brody is being persistent with the licking he could stand up and leave the room while still ignoring Brody.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Well that explains brody's behavior.
May I ask why he is so tensed around brody?
Is it fear for dogs in general or only brody?

I think working with a barrier to get your husband more relaxed around brody would be a good start.
Maybe take him with you on a walk in an area in which you won't encounter others (so he sees the relaxed side of brody) or let him trow a ball with him when brody is into that?
We have only had 3 dogs in our married life (over the last 7 years of 24 years of marriage). The first was for only 2 or 3 months as the dog turned out to be aggressive and we had 2 young children (we surrendered him to a shelter on the advice of a behaviorist, and he was subsequently "euthanized"). My husband actually walked this dog, picked up poop and patted him. The second was a lovely senior gsd/chow who we had for 5 years. She was the sweetest thing on the planet, but hubby wouldn't touch her, walk, feed or play with her. We had her euthanized for cancer in Feb. 2012, and he didn't shed a tear as we were all gathering around saying our good-byes. He agreed to let us get another dog, even came with us to the SPCA to meet Brody and his sister before we chose which one to adopt. He doesn't like Brody because he barks at him. He doesn't like the feel of a wet nose and doesn't want to be licked by him. He would prefer if Brody didn't exist, but is willing to put up with his presence as it makes me and the kids happy. I wish Brody would just ignore him, but he doesn't, and the more I call Brody away from him, the more interested Brody becomes. Kind of like the way he only wants to get at the cats when they are out of reach.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I think if your husband ignored Brody, really and completely ignored him, then Brody might give up on him and ignore him too (although he will still probably bark when he comes home, Holly and Lewis bark when my Dad comes home but stop when they see who it is).
If Brody is being persistent with the licking he could stand up and leave the room while still ignoring Brody.
He would have to be willing to let Brody sniff him all over before he would give up, I think. I can't see that happening. Like I said, snakes and spiders! (Hubby can be a bit of a drama queen! Shh, don't tell him I said that!)

Mutt

Experienced Member
Like I said starting with the dog in the room while he is physically seperated so that your husband can 'learn' ignoring him. I don't know if you have the room for that?

Ignoring is the best solution, so either you learn your husband first to relax or brody ;)