Starting A New Adventure . . A Big Hello To All :-)

passion4pups

Hi all,
Hmmmm, who I am , what my passion is, how I got involved in dog training . . I could write a novel on those questions alone. But I will be kind and give the cliff notes version :-) I am a "40 something" From WI, on my second marriage, up until almost three years ago hubby and I were preparing to become empty nesters when fate smiled on us with her warped sense of humor . . not that I am complaining, our two year old is the joy in our lives again . . just a different kind of joy than we had been anticipating.
For 16 years I was a dog groomer/veterinary assistant, but Rheumatoid arthritis, carpal tunnel, and tendonitis have slowly been putting an end to that career, soooo . . .
I am currently waiting for my two final grades from an online dog training academy, and then I will be a CPDT, though in practical knowledge only. Since I've owned pets all my life and worked with animals all my life it was all very easy to grasp, but now comes the hands on experience, which the clinic that employees me is more than willing to supply.
I was/am a groomers forum member for 6 years and the wealth of knowledge and support helped my career immensely. The obvious move was to join a trainers forum. I visited many sites for dog owners and trainers and just dog lovers and this on by far seems the friendliest, so here I am :-) I am looking forward to getting to know you all.

Oh . . and besides the daughter leaving for college in a few weeks, and the two year old . . our house is also ruled by my most loyal and behaved companion Griffon who is an 11yr old Akita. Sub-dominated by his two younger house mates Zeus the 5yr old yellow/white lab and Luna the ever flighty 1 1/2yr old cream standard poodle :-) My life in a nutshell

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Welcome to the DTA. I look forward to hearing many words of wisdom from you, so please, don't hold back. You are correct, this is a very friendly group, mostly women, but ranging in age from 13 years up to ??? don't ask don't tell! (right MaryK?) I am so jealous of you, you have had my dream career, and now an almost certified trainer! I hope you will post pictures of your dogs in the "meet the dogs" forum, if you haven't already.

passion4pups

Thanks for the welcome brodys_mom. Which was your dream career the grooming or vet assistant? Hahaha on the words of wisdom . . by reading some of the threads you seem to be spot-on with a lot of it. A lot of great threads and great advice here already . . So again I am so glad to be here it seems like a great forum :-)

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome to D.T.A. I'm doing my University Degree in Animal Behavior, online as there aren't any U's here who have that course.

Yes, we don't bite and LOL so right Brody's Mom, I know you were definitely in the cradle when that song was playing! Sorry, in joke:) But we do have people of all ages and some of the youngsters are marvelous dog trainers, a lot already know what they want to be in life - yep Dog Trainers!

Looking forward to reading your posts, do jump in, you'll have so much experience under your belt, don't let it go to waste!:D

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome! You've def come to the right place if you're looking for a friendly bunch. On occasion, someone will join almost looking to cause trouble - I guess we've run a few off, as we all treat each other respectfully and kindly on this forum, and those who have tried to bring this one down have disappeared. I've been on others which are dreadful. I'd like to think we try to treat each other like we treat our dogs. (y) We've got a good mix of just about everyone on here - we're all dog lovers, all use positive reinforcement training methods, but lots of talented people on here made up of both "just" owners having fun with dogs, and professional trainers.

Looking forward to hearing more about your pups. Have fun!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Thanks for the welcome brodys_mom. Which was your dream career the grooming or vet assistant? Hahaha on the words of wisdom . . by reading some of the threads you seem to be spot-on with a lot of it. A lot of great threads and great advice here already . . So again I am so glad to be here it seems like a great forum :-)
Both! I actually was planning on training as a vet's assistant, and , as part of the application process, got to spend a day with a vet. Got to assist on couple of spays and neuters, watch how they give the anaesthetic, etc. I really loved it, but the closest school at the time was so far from home and up in northern Alberta. The course covered all animals, not just companions. You had to learn castrating bulls and de-horning and all sorts of farm related procedures. The va I worked with told me to choose something else in the medical field as the pay wasn't great and no benefits. I went into medical lab technology, but have toyed with the idea of va many times, and am considering it again as there are more schools offering courses these days than there were back then.

passion4pups

The veterinary field as a whole is a flooded field. No position, even as a vet, is going to pull in much money. I figure those who get into this field knowing this , are truly in it for the animals and not greed.
I don't know how things are where you are, but here we have a tech/career school here that turns out vet techs and assistants by the herds and those poor students, unless they have a leg n the door somewhere already are traveling far and wide to get a job once they graduate. Also the Techs are going to get hired before the assistants because of certification reasons, so most of those who go through the assistant program here are pretty much just wasting time and money.
I love the medical side, but I much more enjoy my grooming and feel I will be the same with my training. It's why I am so glad and fortunate to be employed at such a wonderful vet clinic. They allow me to dabble in everything . . and work a crazy schedule to keep my 2 year old at home and out of daycare. (hubs is a fire fighter who works 24 hour shifts so my schedule off sets his) Sometimes I work 2 days a week, or sometimes his kelli (weekend) works out so I work 4 straight days in a row with one off then one on again.
When start running puppy classes, I will have full use of the big fenced in play yard outside if the weather is nice, and the basement has a huge room that use to house 4 Drs. offices, Now it's a big empty room that would easily fit 6 handlers and their puppies.
Had my good friend not been the office manager there, and the previous groomer retired right when I was looking to go back to Work . .. . I shudder to think.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Welcome!! I'm glad you came here, everyone here is very welcoming and helpful, and I'm sure you'll learn lots here! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

charmedwolf

Staff member
Welcome to DTA! I'm sure you'll love it here :) We are definitely a more friendly group than some other forums I know of.

Personally, I'll be eagerly awaiting any tidbits you drop about grooming and anything medicine related (On my way to being a vet).